Calyx

Let's talk about not losing weight

47 posts in this topic

Thank you for this post. I am going through similar circumstances. My surgery was on Jan 2017. The first month I lost 18 lbs. After that I have lost very little weight. It's going into my 4th month and I have only lost 45 lbs total. I know I should be calm as long as the scale keeps going down. I am just depressed because I have gone through so much. I have never had surgery before this and now my hair is falling out. I am 58 yrs old, I just wanted to be able to be a better mom to my 14 yr old. I feel like such a failure. I have an appt next week with my surgeon and I don't even want to go. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed. 

5 hours ago, Zoila said:

Thank you for this post. I am going through similar circumstances. My surgery was on Jan 2017. The first month I lost 18 lbs. After that I have lost very little weight. It's going into my 4th month and I have only lost 45 lbs total. I know I should be calm as long as the scale keeps going down. I am just depressed because I have gone through so much. I have never had surgery before this and now my hair is falling out. I am 58 yrs old, I just wanted to be able to be a better mom to my 14 yr old. I feel like such a failure. I have an appt next week with my surgeon and I don't even want to go. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed. 

Some people lose weight after weight loss surgery more slowly than others. You are doing great on weight loss so far.  :)

As long as you stick with your diet and lose some weight every month you will be able to reach your goal weight. 

We are here to support you. 

tracyringo likes this

On 13/01/2017 at 10:12 PM, That Guy said:

Thank you for writing this I'm 7 days post op and have lost a mere 6 lbs and was already starting to wonder so I came here looking for answers and found yours pinned at the top. I hope it stays there forever!  Thank you. I'll be patient and calmer now. 

Me too! 8 days post op and I've stayed the same weight for five days. Starting to panic, but you've reassured me, thank you 

I had my surgery in December and until three weeks ago I was losing 2-3 lbs. every week like clockwork. Then three weeks ago I gained a pound, lost it the following week, and had no change in this morning's weekly weigh in. I seem to have hit my first dreaded plateau, and this after having upped the number of steps I take daily to a full 10,000.

I'm not discouraged, however, as I'm within 30 pounds of my goal and feeling better than I have in years. I've lost 90 lbs. since the surgery, and a grand total of 116 pounds since my retirement in January of 2014. Plateaus happen, and I figure if I keep doing the things I'm suppose to do, eventually those remaining 30 lbs. will have to abandon ship.

On 12/10/2016 at 6:10 PM, Cheesehead said:

. . . Our bodies are individuals..

maybe yours was in a state of shock. . . .  

My take on plateaus is similar. The body knows excessive weight loss isn't par for the course, and doesn't understand what's happening to it. It's reacting to what it considers to be an abnormal state of events by trying to normalize its metabolism. Once it catches a breather, the weight loss will recommence.

Michael_A and cinwa like this

@Tom Sharpe Sounds to me like you are doing more than ok.... and you are right that if you keep up the healthy diet then the weight just has to come off. It just does not have to come off in a way that is a steady-Eddy smooth decline. My loss is now mostly a pattern of plateaus with steps between. Diet doesn't change much from day to day. 

I'm a touch surprised that you haven't had a plateau before now! But just good luck on your part. When you say you feel better than you have in years, how has this played out?

Best wishes BB

tracyringo likes this

10 hours ago, Tom Sharpe said:

I had my surgery in December and until three weeks ago I was losing 2-3 lbs. every week like clockwork. Then three weeks ago I gained a pound, lost it the following week, and had no change in this morning's weekly weigh in. I seem to have hit my first dreaded plateau, and this after having upped the number of steps I take daily to a full 10,000.

I'm not discouraged, however, as I'm within 30 pounds of my goal and feeling better than I have in years. I've lost 90 lbs. since the surgery, and a grand total of 116 pounds since my retirement in January of 2014. Plateaus happen, and I figure if I keep doing the things I'm suppose to do, eventually those remaining 30 lbs. will have to abandon ship.

One thing to remember is that walking doesn't generally result in weight loss. It has many other health benefits, such as cardio and pulmonary, but it just isn't strenuous enough to burn many calories, unless you walk 10-20 miles a day!!

BurgundyBoy likes this

I think you were likely building muscle which weighs more than fat. You could actually gain weight while exercising but be losing fat. I think a better way to measure your success might be taking body measurements instead of looking at the scale. I'm tracking mine because I know there will come that moment when I feel like I'm going no where. I had my sleeve 2 weeks ago today and have lost 22 lbs, but I know I can't keep losing weight at this rate. Eventually I'll be able to eat actual food and it will slow, so working out to build muscles will be essential to keep losing. Don't get discouraged. Take your measurements and follow those. You're awesome and you can totally reach your goal! 

BurgundyBoy likes this

Well dang I wish I would start dropping weight already !    10 days post op and only 1 lb down .  Was down 3 at 1week post op appointment. Gained 2back and here I stall. Grrr.  I been telling myself maybe it's the 15 I lost on the liquid diet and my body is just catching up?

Alexa21 likes this

23 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Well dang I wish I would start dropping weight already !    10 days post op and only 1 lb down .  Was down 3 at 1week post op appointment. Gained 2back and here I stall. Grrr.  I been telling myself maybe it's the 15 I lost on the liquid diet and my body is just catching up?

Well that's really frustrating. Have you had any bowel movements? That can help.

22 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Tracy, hang in there! I know it feels frustrating if you don't drop a million pounds right away, but it'll happen! I'm a daily weigher, but if it would help your peace of mind, putting the scale away for a couple of weeks might be a good idea. 

I SOOOOOOOoooooooooo wanted it to magically fall off of me after surgery. I was a slow loser for a couple of months. Hearing that from people here on TT actually helped me eventually come to grips with it. 

Sympathy hug.

tracyringo likes this

@Gretta yep having no issues

1 hour ago, tracyringo said:

Ugh. It will happen. Sorry it's taking a while.

tracyringo likes this

18 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Just keep with the program then. The pounds will fall away. The great thing about this surgery is that it is reliably and consistently effective.

We all fear that we are somehow different than everyone else and won't lose weight...., but in a very basic way we are NOT and just keeping to the plan leads to loss. Our individual metabolisms and makeups differ - but those are details compared to the underlying circumstances of (1) having this surgery and (2) dietary restriction without physiological hunger.

(But the Weight Loss Gods will try to mess with your head by having you lose your weight at a pace or schedule designed to make you frustrated). :wacko:

Hang in there!

tracyringo likes this

Thank you @BurgundyBoy and @Gretta.  I just wasn't expecting to not lose weight right after surgery.  They really should warn folks.

Okay I am 2 weeks post op today and have lost 6 lbs.  I can live with this !!!!     21lbs lost total in 4weeks.

Smashlee83 likes this

That's outstanding Tracy!

tracyringo likes this

Hooray, @tracyringo! Sorry the scale kept you waiting. It's moving in a big way now!

tracyringo likes this

6 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Okay I am 2 weeks post op today and have lost 6 lbs.  I can live with this !!!!     21lbs lost total in 4weeks.

You'll be fine. Just stick to your plan. The over-arching truth is you had your innards re-arranged, you can't eat as much, and you will lose weight. The pace of your loss will be determined by your own circumstances, the whims of the Weight Loss Gremlins, and most likely the phases of the Moon, but you'll lose weight. Your ship is launched!

tmcgee and tracyringo like this

Thank you @cinwa @Gretta and @BurgundyBoy .   I finally got my protein up to 70s last 6 days and also my calories to 700 thinking this might have something to do with it.

BurgundyBoy, tmcgee and Gretta like this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Thank you @cinwa @Gretta and @BurgundyBoy .   I finally got my protein up to 70s last 6 days and also my calories to 700 thinking this might have something to do with it.

So many people are impatient, especially in the early days. My grandson, who lives with me, wanted to know why I wasn't skinny when I came home from the hospital and I think we all tend to think the same thing. Stay with it, I'm 177 pounds down in 4.5 years with no regain -- it does work as long as you don't give up, and sadly, many people do. I don't get why they did, I couldn't possibly think that way, maybe because I'm an old faht. Keep it up, Tracy, it is extremely rewarding!

Edited by tmcgee

9 hours ago, tracyringo said:

It is possible your protein/calories were 'too low' --- and your body refused to lose given the "obvious famine."  There is a fair amount of internet chatter about this. Hard to know. Anyhow glad you are getting enough protein now. 

tracyringo likes this