Calyx

Let's talk about not losing weight

47 posts in this topic

I had my surgery on August 1st. Afterward, the weight seemed to trickle off - a pound some days and a half a pound on others. Of course, this is a pretty good place, but it felt frustratingly slow when I would see others with huge weight losses in the first month. But I stuck to the plan and lost 20 in my first month. I had my first check up with my surgeon, he said everything was going great, and I left his office that day and I didn't lose a single pound after that for a very long time.

The first week I didn't lose weight, I was okay. I knew these things happen.

The second week I was starting to feel a little frustrated.

By the third week I had stopped getting on the scale. I was demoralized. Logically I knew that I had done everything right. Emotionally, every year of fat shaming I had ever heard, even if not directed at me, started to echo through my doubts.  I wasn't hungry, so physically I wasn't bothered. I didn't feel the powerful drive to eat as I had on past dieting attempts, my body sending out hormones to create a hunger so strong I would be forced to eat. I didn't have the shakes from unstable blood sugar levels. I didn't feel tired or weak or cold. But by God, I was angry and disgusted and yes, in some ways I even felt that I deserved it.

At 23 days, I finally got back on the scale. Nothing.

24 days.

I didn't get back on the scale after that. I went to my 2nd month checkup with a total of 23 pounds lost, all of it in the first month. I was going to the gym four days a week. I was counting calories. I think it would be great if someone would do a study of this. What exactly is happening in your body when your calorie consumption has been halved (or more) and you are still not losing a single pound?

A few days after my appointment the scale began to move again, but slowly. I'd lose a pound here, a half of a pound there, then finally began a steady drop again. I lost 10 pounds. Then 20.

But part of me had resigned by then. I still don't get on the scale every day. I just eat my proteins and move on. I haven't been counting calories even though I probably should just to establish habits. 

Then my weight plummeted. I have to tell you, it was scary. I put my skinniest pants on one day and discovered that they kept falling down. Getting on the scale, I discovered I had lost 10 pounds in a single week, maybe a little more. I was bolstered by that, and pleased. The week after, I got on the scale expecting it to read at 235, but it didn't. I hopped on and off the scale a few times to make sure because my digital scale can be finicky. It said 226. In a mere two weeks I had lost 25 pounds. That's nearly as startling as not losing at all.

So here I am, 130 days from the date of my surgery with a total of 80 pounds lost. That's something I can live with. I would still like to lose 40 pounds more, but if I stayed at this weight forever, I'd be satisfied. 

Panda, tmcgee, Jackie82 and 12 others like this

Great job in losing weight and thank you so much for sharing your weight loss surgery story so far!  Keep going, you really can make it to your goal weight and life at goal weight is really wonderful.

Your posting is solid proof that everyone loses weight after surgery at a different pace, but as long as you stick to the diet and do not give up, you will lose weight.

What he said;). Our bodies are individuals..

maybe yours was in a state of shock..  it took a while to find its new normal.  You don't say how heavy you were/are, but sometimes those who are lighter weights lose much slower but as long as you stick with it you will end up with significant weight loss.

i knew after years of dieting the scale was not my friend.  If I lost a couple of pounds I'd celebrate with food.  If I gained, it's was my brain telling me what's the point.  So I only weighed myself every other week.  I never noticed a stall...if nothing else, take measurements, often if you aren't losing you are somehow loosing inches..

keep going, you are too early out for you not to get to a reasonable goal..  and 40 pounds is more than doable!

tmcgee, AB2B, ikantspel and 2 others like this

Congrats to you, just stay on plan and you will get to your personal goal, mine took 3 3/4 years, and I'm quite okay with that, it's a lifetime commitment!

Wow, I think I have your body type lol. I lost rapidly initially but now it's like pulling teeth. I hope I experience that 10lb weight loss in two weeks lol. Congrats to you.

Zoila likes this

Whenever you think "damn, this is so slow going" think about how many calories one must burn to lose a single pound of fat only. The math is kind of depressing in some way but reassuring in another way.

ikantspel and Aussie H like this

46 minutes ago, summerset said:

Whenever you think "damn, this is so slow going" think about how many calories one must burn to lose a single pound of fat only. The math is kind of depressing in some way but reassuring in another way.

Try living in a culture where weight is measured in kilograms. it might take a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound, but it takes an 7700 calorie deficit to lose a kilogram.

In my case that means only 130,900 more in deficit before my ortho will see me again. Now that's depressing.

Indeed. Germany uses the metric system as well and that 7700 kcal sound even more intimidating. :lol:

As I said, the math is kind of depressing. The reassurance part is that it's not possible to gain that 1 kg in a week when you clearly didn't eat a surplus of 1000 kcal every day of that week.

Oh man, thanks for this post.

I also find those free-fall moments utterly terrifying. I was traveling for two weeks in October, and I came back only three pounds lower than I'd been when I left. I felt kinda bad about it, but also like, you know, I ate a lot of stuff I don't normally eat, so, sure. Then my weight started to plummet in the next week. It was the first time I'd really wanted to stay off the scale. I still lose in a pattern of up-down-up-down stasis, then a big drop that tapers into little losses before starting over again. I'm also about 80 pounds down in a little more than four months, and just having gotten a sense of this pattern makes weathering it a little easier.

tracyringo and AB2B like this

I have been fortunate. I do weigh every day (against what Dr, told me) but I am using a weight tracker app and want to track it good or bad. Yes I have had gain days, but mostly losses. My Surgery was October 10th, as of this morning I am down a little over 77 lbs. I am waiting for that "disappointment" show to drop, I know I will plateau and I am prepared for it. This past week was the first time that people have really noticed that I am losing weight. That has been encouraging.

I am getting all my vitamins in, NUT added Iron and Vitamin D as those were low on my blood work, I am getting about 80 grams of protein a day and over 100 oz's of water. I do add Vitamin water Zero for some flavor. My diet varies quite a bit, I am very aware of what is going in my mouth. My old trigger foods have not triggered me......yet!

I have so much more energy and I am taking advantage of that, using elliptical, riding my bicycle, walking a lot more, just tons of energy.

Sounds like you are doing what you need to do to stay successful, just know that you have the tool to succeed. Keep up the good work and you will reach your goals!

Res Ipsa, Cindypraying and Minfit like this

You are doing great!! I wish I could get that much protein in

AZHARLEYDUDE likes this

It isn't about the day to day or week to week.  Its about the bigger picture.  Some weeks I'd lose 10lbs.   Some weeks I would GAIN 5-8 pound. Some months I'd lose 20+ pound, some months I'd lose 2-5 total.  I fluctuated (lost and then gained) a lot during my first year.  Its maddening, implausible, frustrating....  and yet I lost 168lbs in the first year.  Even with all the 'gain' I did, I still lost 168lbs in a year....  because it wasn't about the 3lbs I was up last week;  its about that BIGGER picture and overall end.

excellent post, it should be pinned! so many have experienced what you have- you've documented it so beautifully.  thanks for posting, and congrats on staying the course, even when the course seemed to be flipping you the bird every chance it got! 

tracyringo and AB2B like this

Res Ipsa suggested this thread be pinned and I agree - it's excellent!

tracyringo and bellamoma like this

I had my surgery March 25,2016 I only lose 70lbs I'm at a stand still. I don't drink, I don't eat fast food, I stay away from sugar treats I wear a fit bit to keep track of my step I do any where from 2 to 3 miles a day I don't know why I'm stuck some time when I weight my self I'm up by 2lbs please help me

Edited by Lorraine townes

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Kimchan said:

Wow, I think I have your body type lol. I lost rapidly initially but now it's like pulling teeth. I hope I experience that 10lb weight loss in two weeks lol. Congrats to you.

Your doing good I wish I could lose weight like u

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 10:13 AM, bellamoma said:

excellent post, it should be pinned! so many have experienced what you have- you've documented it so beautifully.  thanks for posting, and congrats on staying the course, even when the course seemed to be flipping you the bird every chance it got! 

What did u do to lose the weight so fast

1 hour ago, Lorraine townes said:

I had my surgery March 25,2016 I only lose 70lbs I'm at a stand still. I don't drink, I don't eat fast food, I stay away from sugar treats I wear a fit bit to keep track of my step I do any where from 2 to 3 miles a day I don't know why I'm stuck some time when I weight my self I'm up by 2lbs please help me

Can you provide a two-day log of everything you put in your mouth and your daily activities? That might help us to see the issue. I'm not saying you are or aren't doing something amiss because everyone has a different body type, different metabolism, etc. And most of us have experienced stalls too. Some on here have had stalls that lasted months. I know that can be discouraging, but hang in there.

Hi Lorraine,

I don't know why I was a fast loser.  I do know it took me much longer than most, it seemed, to be able to get down more than an ounce of food.  I also had nausea a lot, probably due to reflux. Other than that, I really don't know why my weight loss turned out the way it did. I follow the plan, but so do lots of people who lose at a slower rate. Hang in there, and follow the plan.  You absolutely will lose the weight if you follow the plan. The real challenge will be not giving up.  Good luck to you! 

Res Ipsa and tracyringo like this

On 12/10/2016 at 1:08 PM, Calyx said:

The first week I didn't lose weight, I was okay. I knew these things happen.

Thank you for writing this I'm 7 days post op and have lost a mere 6 lbs and was already starting to wonder so I came here looking for answers and found yours pinned at the top. I hope it stays there forever!  Thank you. I'll be patient and calmer now. 

tracyringo and Elle4444 like this

Hi.  I just read your post about slow weight loss... Today is my 6 week mark and I am only down 27 from the two week pre-diet.  I am so frustrated.  My weight literally has not moved in 3 weeks.  I am hoping to have a similar experience as you because quite frankly I am in fear that its not working.... :(  I too feel good... no blood sugar issues, no hot / cold spells, moving more... eating better but the scale wont budge....

When did you start exercising?  I started making sure I have upped my steps to 8000 / day and I am moving that to 10000.  I am also going to start hitting the gym... any advice on eating and exercise is welcome.  Thanks.

And thanks for your post.  I really needed to hear your experience today. :) 

Cheesehead likes this

oh my goodness.. everyone on this board and the ones that will be joining needs to hear this .....When i found this i couldn't read it fast enough..  

i AM 48 YEAR OLD WOMAN 5' 9  AND STARTED AT 250 ON mAY 24TH 2016..I LOST 25LBS IN ABOUT 12 WEEKS AND THEN IT STOPPED  iM SERIOUS IT STOPPED TODAY IS ABOUT 10 MONTHS OUT AND IM STILL 225LBS.  IM TRYING TO WRAP MY HEAD AROUND THIS SO I DONT GET DISCOURAGED I TRY TO READ ALOT OF SIMILIAR POST TO KEEP ME UPLIFTED.  OH I FORGOT TO MENTION I AM A REVISION FROM A LAPBAND IN 2006 AND REMOVAL AND REVISION TO SLEEVED MAY 2016..  PLEASE PLEASE WRITE MORE SO I DONT GIVE UP.. I DID START THE 5DPT IM ON DAY 4 AND LOST 2LBS.. I PUT A CALL INTO MY DOCTOR REGARDING A REVISION OR RESLEEVE BUT OF COURSE HE SAID ABSOLUTELY NOT.AND THAT HE DID TELL ME THAT BECAUSE I AM A REVISION THAT I SHOULD NOT EXPECT TO LOSE TOO MUCH AND DEFINATELY NOT FAST.  OK I CAN DEAL WITH THAT BUT FOR A 7 MONTH STALL ????THAT I WAS NOT READY FOR .....   SO I MADE UP MY MIND TO INCORPORATE MORE WALKING (THAT IS ALL IM ALLOWED TO DO DUE TO SEVERE BACK PAIN, HERNITED DISK, CHIARI MALFORMATION 1,  SLIPPED DISK, DEGENERATE DISK,, SCIATICA AND MUCH MORE) AND REALLY STICKING TO MEAT PROTEIN AND SALADS UNTIL MAY 24TH, 2017 (MY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY) AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.  mY GOAL WEIGHT IS 185 I WILL BE HAPPY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE IF I STAYED AT 198.  SO WE ARE TALKING A MERELY 27LBS MINIMUM RIGHT?  RIGHT!..SO I WILL CONTINUE TO READ AND READ AND READ THANKS TOO EVERYONE THAT SHARES THEIR EXPERIENCES IT TRULY HELPS OTHERS EVEN WHEN YOU THINK YOUR JUST VENTING.

SLEEVED524:)

SuperMom69 likes this

ONE MORE THING ...WHEN I WAS BANDED I LOST LIKE YOU DID SLOW STOP DROP SLOW STOP DROP IT WAS NERVE RACKING BUT WITHIN A YEAR I HAD MADE IT TO GOAL ACTUALLY LOWER.. MY LOWEST WAS 178( WHICH I WAS NOT COMFORTABLE WITH (I'M 5'9) SO I GAINED TO REACH 185 WHICH I LIKED..I ALSO HAD STARTED AT 250.  AND AFTER MAINTAINING THAT FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS THE WEIGHT STARTED TO CREEP BACK UP DUE TO BAND FAILURE. SO WITHIN THE 3 YEARS I SLOWLY GAINED BACK ALL OF THE WEIGHT .

jUST A LITTLE INFO ANYONE WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO RESPOND WHETHER GOOD OR BAD OR JUST STRAIGHT FORWARD.

SuperMom69 likes this

Hi Sleeved 524... I am 48 and 5'1"   I will be devastated if this is it for me... 27 and done.... OMG!  I am praying that I begin to drop.  I am doing to lower my total carb intake now to see if that makes a difference.  Good luck to you... You can do this!

Use something like my fitness pal and enter every single bite and every single sip. Follow the rules exactly and see where you are with daily protein, carbs, calorie free liquids.  Be completely honest about what's going into your body.  You may be surprised at what you find.  Maybe total calories are ok but carbs are too high and protein is low.  Make corrections and move forward.  It's not about beating yourself up it's about figuring out how to put the puzzle pieces together to make the best you!!

Michael_A, BurgundyBoy and Aussie H like this