Cmoore

Financing for Surgery

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So I just got the terrible news WLS is not covered under my insurance plan. I am racking my brain trying to figure out if this is my only option. If I can try again for the 100th time diet and exercise or if I can stomach taking out a loan for close to $20k.

My husband has been extremely supportive and thinks if it will make me happier and healthier than we do it. I look at it as a car payment and just don't know what to do. 

If you did finance your surgery did you do a private loan through a credit union, something like care credit, or through the surgeon? Does anyone have experience with this. I just don't know what the best option is. 

Help please!!

First of all, make sure that your current health insurance really does not cover weight loss surgery. Often insurance company officials initially will give incorrect informatio on coverage. 

If you have to get a loan, it can either be a personal loan or (if you own real estate) a mortgage (which will give you a much better interest rate).  Both types of loans are available from banks and credit unions.  Avoid any loan that wants to charge you a high interest rate.  

Note that many self pay people go to Mexico for their weight loss surgery in order to save money, and there are lots of posts on how to pick a surgeon in Mexico.  Of course, picking a really cheap Mexican surgeon can be dangerous.

Another option if both you and your spouse work for different companies and have health care offered at work, is to see if you have the option to switch health insurance to the employer of the other spouse if that policy covers weight loss surgery - usually such a switch can only occur during an open enrollment periods which may be December.  Finally, check your state's Obamacare web site to see if it offers a policy that covers weight loss surgery. 

I self-paid, and I took out a loan through a loan company. I don't have any extra money, and I can't replace my car until the loan is paid off. BUT, I am so happy I had the surgery, I would give up even more if I had to. It is a medical deduction (subject to applicable limits) for income tax purposes. So, I do have that for this year.

My insurance coverage summary specified that the surgery was not covered, and both I and the surgeon's office called and confirmed that before my appointment.

I looked into going out of the country for surgery, but opted not to because finding follow up care was difficult. I have greatly benefited from my follow up visits with the nutritionist and surgeon. I was also concerned with having complications so far from home. I know many people have it done outside the US and don't have problems, and others have complications in the US. So, there is no guarantee you won't have problems no matter where you have surgery.

I recommend lots of research and discussion with appropriately knowledgeable people to make a decision you are comfortable with.

Res Ipsa likes this

Hi cmoore! I am a self payer. My surgeon and hospital said it'd cost $27,000. I put $10,000 down in cash and the remaining $17,000 I got a private loan with no collateral. I make monthly payments on that loan. Like someone else said above me, I opted not to go out of the country for my surgery because I found it was difficult getting post surgery care. I'm glad I stayed in the country and chose a surgeon and hospital near me because I have had some complications. It's reassuring knowing my medical team is close by if I need them. Through it all I believe taking the loan out and getting the surgery done in the statements has been worth it. I recommend it.

Hi! I am going to Mexico to have my surgery done by Dr. Alvarez. He is only one mile into Mexico and does weekly YouTube videos and does Snapchat on a daily basis. He has wrote books as well. I got my financing through the company they recommended. I wish you the very best on your journey. 

P.S. Our insurance did not cover it either but I couldn't be more happy with my surgeon :D