ThinCVT

It's been three years and a lifetime.

So I started my preop diet 3 years ago today. I always consider this my anniversary, rather than the surgery date. Here's a recap of my journey so far.....

Year 1 - the year of losing all of my excess weight (100 pounds), dozens of NSVs, and a new wardrobe. By far, the most exciting year. Even the month of liquids, 6 weeks of diarrhea and 2 insanely painful gallbladder attacks couldn't put a dent in my enthusiasm. It was all so new and fun and easy. Life was great and I was invincible!

Year 2 - the year of finding out life still sucks no matter what size you are, losing my best friend to suicide, sinking into a deep hole of depression and finding that I could no longer rely on my old friends.....food, alcohol and cigarettes. Just struggling to get through each day with really no desire to. Two more gallbladder attacks which I finally put an end to with a long overdue cholecystectomy. Despite a complete breakdown of my emotional stability, I was surprisingly able to maintain my weight loss from the 1st year. I held onto the fact that what I put in my mouth was one of the few things I could control at that point.

Year 3 - the year of emotional healing (well, at least a start in that direction) with a grief therapist, testosterone replacement and an antidepressant. Finally able to crawl out the darkness into a somewhat bearable existence. My latest breakthrough is I actually said yes when asked out on a date about a month ago. Considering my introvert personality and swearing off relationships almost 20 years ago, this is an extraordinary step for me. We've been out 1/2 dozen times and I'm actually enjoying it. Who knows what Year 4 will bring. But I've definitely come to realize as time goes on, everything has become less and less about surgery and weightloss and more and more about life.

I maintain my weight the same way I lost it....80+ grams of Protein, 100+ ounces of water, low carb, balanced diet including veggies, fruit and whole grains. I pretty much eat whatever I want but I make smart choices when it comes to quantities. No tracking, no measuring, just mindful eating. I am diligent about keeping any regains in check. I've got too much invested, both financially and emotionally to let a 1-2 pound regain turn into 10-20 pounds. I have labs done annually and follow a Vitamin regimen based on the results. I don't have an exercise routine, just a very busy, active life.

Bottom line is a successful WLS result is not rocket science. Whatever you had to do to lose weight is pretty much what you need to do forever. If you can't control sliders and trigger foods, they WILL lead to regain. If you don't make the psychological adjustments and permanently change your habits and behaviors, you WILL regain. It's totally up to you whether or not your surgery becomes just another failed diet. Don't be afraid to seek professional help with the mental side of it. I finally did...thank goodness.

Good luck to the newbies. Congrats to the veterans.

1 hour ago, ThinCVT said:

I maintain my weight the same way I lost it....80+ grams of Protein, 100+ ounces of water, low carb, balanced diet including veggies, fruit and whole grains. I pretty much eat whatever I want but I make smart choices when it comes to quantities. No tracking, no measuring, just mindful eating. I am diligent about keeping any regains in check. I've got too much invested, both financially and emotionally to let a 1-2 pound regain turn into 10-20 pounds. I have labs done annually and follow a Vitamin regimen based on the results. I don't have an exercise routine, just a very busy, active life.

Bottom line is a successful WLS result is not rocket science. Whatever you had to do to lose weight is pretty much what you need to do forever. If you can't control sliders and trigger foods, they WILL lead to regain. If you don't make the psychological adjustments and permanently change your habits and behaviors, you WILL regain. It's totally up to you whether or not your surgery becomes just another failed diet. Don't be afraid to seek professional help with the mental side of it. I finally did...thank goodness.

Good luck to the newbies. Congrats to the veterans.

Thank you for sharing your story.  You truly are an inspiration to us all.  By the way, the portion of your post that I quoted above is 100% true for me as well.

Congratulations on your long term success.

Way to go CVT.  Hoping year 4 is amazing for you.

Congratulations!! You have done really well and are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!!

So happy for you, as I am happy for me and everyone else who sticks with it!

Really enjoyed reading your story.  It is an inspiration and educational.  It really helps to see what makes the long term success.

Hard to believe that it's been 3 years already!

You're an inspiration for sure.

wow, 3 years, amazing.  Great progress CVT and congrats on everything you've accomplished.

I'm always so grateful for posts like yours.  i'm almost a year out and kind of headed towards the "so now what" phase of recovery. Your post helps me a lot. Thank you. 

Congrats!  

Good for you that while you went through a rough time you were able to stay strong and then do what needed to be done to live not just a thin life but a happy and whole one. 

Good for you for maintaining and keep up the hard work. Thank you for sharing.