kahjaelliott

4 days post op and having regrets

9 posts in this topic

I hope someone can help with encouraging words. My surgery was this past Tuesday,  and although I was released that Wednesday evening,  I ended up re-admitted on Thursday after bouts of severe heaving and a very distended feeling in my stomach. Turns out that I had an intestinal ileus, where basically the intestinal function doesn't pick back up like it should after surgery, but I've had some movements over the last 2 days, so the nursing staff seems very happy about that. I on the other hand am crying daily. I had no co-morbidities, but clearly needed to lose and  did not have long term success in previous attempts. In 4 days, I've gone from a person who only needed annual physicals to someone hospitalized for 4 days, release to be determined. Right now I would give anything to feel like my old self again. Anyone feel this way this soon after? So far, I'm up to 3 oz of broth and 3 oz of water an that's about it.

Hang in there. It really will get better. I am very sorry that you are have complications from surgery. 

kahjaelliott likes this

I had a leak after surgery and was hospitalized for 11 days. I went home with a pic line and a drain and could have nothing by mouth for 3 weeks. Nothing by mouth for 3 weeks. My lips were cracked and I completely lost my voice and, to be frank, I was a miserable mess. I cried daily. Fast forward 6 months, I was down about 70lbs and everything was just a memory. I'm now 2 years and 4 months out. I've maintained my 130lb weight loss for over a year now and all of those post-surgery issues are a very faint memory. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have no hesitations- complications and all - knowing how good I feel in my 140ish lb body. Hang in there. Get through recovery. Focus on staying hydrated for now. Stick to your food plan and, very soon, you'll see the rewards. Good luck. 

LeeC and kahjaelliott like this

I'm so sorry you got off to a rough start kahjaelliott but hopefully, you're now on the road to recovery physically.

Mentally, it's not uncommon to suffer from depression to some degree or after following surgery.  I hope you find this helpful:  How To Deal With Post-Surgical Depression

By Susan Renzo, Mon, July 20, 2015
surgical tech.jpg

Surgery is a disorienting experience that the vast majority of us will experience, at most, no more than a few times during our lives. Out of the comfort of our homes, separated from loved ones and subject to the continued scrutiny and ministrations of strangers, we are forced to rely upon these same strangers for all of our needs, down to the most personal levels.

It is perhaps for these reasons that, even when no pre-existing depression disorder exists, patients often experience depression after surgery.

Who is at Risk
Certain surgeries are more likely to result in depression, including heart surgery, cancer surgery, bariatric surgery and brain surgery.

Those who are already suffering from depression, or who have in the past, or who have a family history of depression are most likely to experience post-surgical depression. Single people are more likely to suffer post-surgical depression, as are smokers.

What Causes Post-Surgical Depression
There are a number of theories about the causes of post-surgical depression, including:

Anesthesia which might cause a lingering disruption of brain chemistry;

Pain which might not be fully resolved by prescribed medications;

Medications , a number of which have depressive symptoms as side effects, as well as others that can create withdrawal issues;

Digestive upsets that can result from taking certain medications;

Being bedridden or having limitations on movement can be frustrating and disruptive to daily living;

Post-Surgical Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PSTSS) is a variant of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that occurs after surgical treatment.

Generally speaking, post-surgical depression is the result of any of a number of unresolved issues, including: an extended period where there is pain; inability to gain restful sleep; fear of continued disability; medication side effects; the need to make difficult and stressful decisions about treatment; disruptions to earning ability; difficult interactions with health care providers or insurers; family issues related to need for care; or long-term prognosis. A confrontation with one’s own mortality, more than anything else, might be the trigger for depression.

How to Treat Post-Surgical Depression
Too few doctors consider post-operative depression to be their issue to treat. Even when patients complain about the symptoms of depression many physicians dismiss such symptoms as “part of the healing process” and encourage their patients to “tough it out.”

As in most cases of depression, medication and talk therapy are both effective treatments and should be included in the post-operative period. If the surgeon is not prepared to offer such treatment, the patient should not hesitate to speak to their primary care physician, or to seek out mental health providers for help.

To regain good health it is important to make certain that regular sleep patterns are maintained, a healthy diet is consumed and as much exercise as possible in the circumstances is gotten. It is also important that the recuperating patient gets out of bed each day and dresses, and that daily schedules are kept as close to normal as possible.

All of these can help in maintaining a healthy mood.

Sources: Depression Toolkit, HCPLive.com and Harvard Magazine

kahjaelliott likes this

Thank you so much, each of you. I'm going to really try my best to shift into a positive mindset today and look forward to the rewards to come! I've come too far not to.

Dunndeal, Clickin and Res Ipsa like this

1 hour ago, Dunndeal said:

I had a leak after surgery and was hospitalized for 11 days. I went home with a pic line and a drain and could have nothing by mouth for 3 weeks. Nothing by mouth for 3 weeks. My lips were cracked and I completely lost my voice and, to be frank, I was a miserable mess. I cried daily. Fast forward 6 months, I was down about 70lbs and everything was just a memory. I'm now 2 years and 4 months out. I've maintained my 130lb weight loss for over a year now and all of those post-surgery issues are a very faint memory. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have no hesitations- complications and all - knowing how good I feel in my 140ish lb body. Hang in there. Get through recovery. Focus on staying hydrated for now. Stick to your food plan and, very soon, you'll see the rewards. Good luck. 

Amazing! I'm so glad to hear you bounced back the way you did!

Dunndeal likes this

21 minutes ago, kahjaelliott said:

Amazing! I'm so glad to hear you bounced back the way you did!

Thank you!  I'll be pulling for you to round the corner soon. It really does get easier. Hang in there!

kahjaelliott likes this

I'm sorry you have to deal with this challenge. It stinks!!  It's hard but try to focus on getting better, staying positive and being determined to be successful.  Sending hugs and warm fuzzies to you help you heal!

kahjaelliott likes this

kahjaelliott- how are you feeling?