Griggs2alr

Poor Choices

4 posts in this topic

I had VSG on 04/11/16 and dove head first into all the advise and recommendations of my surgeon. I began working out on the exact date that I was told that I could and have had 113lbs loss in the first 6 months after my VSG. I even joined a boot camp that I attended faithfully for 12 weeks sometimes doubles on my off days. I put in 5-7 hours a week in the gym. In addition to the boot camp I worked out on my own no less that 2 additional hours a week. I have disciplined myself regarding exercises wise. However when you first have surgery I could take in so little that that in it self gave me a false sense of control. Well eventually I was allowed to have a full diet. Initially I was meal prepping and doing everything perfect. I have had no negative effects from my surgery. I can honestly say even know 7 almost 8 months removed from surgery I don't get hungry but I eat. I usually don't male bad food choices. However I am snacking and not making the best food choices that is bad. I am struggling mentally with my food addiction. I don't  want to fall back into my hole. How do I curve this before it gets out of hand. I know the first step is acknowledging that I have a problem. However then what? I am scared of myself. The surgery is the easiest part. It's the mental part that is a beast. Your mind can be your own worst enemy. This surgery has not changed my mindset or desire for the things that I desire. I am able to still maintain but I don' t feel that I have a firm grip on me. I am getting to close to the edge and am trying to prevent falling over.

I'm sorry you're struggling. It stinks. My suggestion is to see a counselor. For me I think figuring out WHY I eat is more important to my long term success than anything including my occasional off track choices. Keep us posted. 

Res Ipsa, bellamoma and ThinCVT like this

What Raeme said.  Surgery helped me lose the weight, but my therapist helps me keep it off.  She taught me how to redirect destructive thought patterns and develop new coping mecahanisms for life's unpleasantries that don't involve food and alcohol.  It's made everything easier to deal with including emotions, work stress and relationships.

LeeC, Res Ipsa, bellamoma and 1 other like this

I was so lucky to have an amazing bariatric focused therapist who taught me so much. You have great insight- you know you're struggling and you want to change that. That is a great first step. Now it's time to find a therapist to help you though this rough patch. If your program doesn't have one, or they're not the best, you can look for a therapist that specializes in addiction. Overeaters anon is another resource that is free, if you are comfortable with that sort of program.  Keep us posted. 

ThinCVT likes this