Hulaw2007

What does federal BCBS require during the 3 month supervised diet requirement

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering.  thanks!

On 11/28/2016 at 6:56 PM, Hulaw2007 said:

Just wondering.  thanks!

I'm hoping someone will answer this, too. I had my initial consult yesterday and this was mentioned, but I didn't think to ask more about it. 

2 hours ago, SouthJerseySleever said:

I'm hoping someone will answer this, too. I had my initial consult yesterday and this was mentioned, but I didn't think to ask more about it. 

I finally had a consult and talked with the surgeon and the dietician on December. At least on the insurance plan I have and the way they do things here I don't have to necessarily lose weight ahead of time, I have to go to one one on one dietician consult and three group meetings with the dietician. That's pretty much it. And my surgeon requires a two week liquid diet just before surgery but I think that's just his requirement not the federal bc bs requirement. Hope this helps. But keep in mind depending where you go maybe things might be different. I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Hulaw2007 said:

I finally had a consult and talked with the surgeon and the dietician on December. At least on the insurance plan I have and the way they do things here I don't have to necessarily lose weight ahead of time, I have to go to one one on one dietician consult and three group meetings with the dietician. That's pretty much it. And my surgeon requires a two week liquid diet just before surgery but I think that's just his requirement not the federal bc bs requirement. Hope this helps. But keep in mind depending where you go maybe things might be different. I don't know.

Thank you! I have a call in to my nurse coordinator to see what she says. 

Take a look at your plan booklet.  Even fed plans can have differences between them.  While my federal plan is by UHC the specific plan I had only covered the sleeve instead of bypass for some reason.

Your surgeon will probably have requirements in addition to those required by insurance.  These will be various medical clearances so that he has a pretty good idea of your overall health and what he can expect to see once he begins the surgery.

Good luck