DreamsNPurple

Sleeve to Rny...should i do it?

I had my sleeve in 12/2011. I weighed 322 at my high, 276 at surgery and got down to 200 in about 4 mths. Then everything changed, I started falling and getting numb in my legs. Long story short, I was diagnosed with a rare nerve disease (CIPD). I had to relearn how to walk and write. I went from being a working nurse to disabled. My weight loss took a back seat to my other health issues when I was put on iv and oral steroids for 5 months. I regained up to 280 lbs. I am now at 246 and am still losing about 1/2# a week. I can walk and write again. But still have some nerve damage that causes me to be off balanced. My endurance for exercise and long distances like the grocery store is poor. I am now having severe gerd. I'm waking up in the night with it and taking extra medication to try and ease it. My dr is wanting me to have the revision to the rny. He says it's medically necessary. I am scared. I still watch what i eat but if i have sugar now i don't get sick. I know with the rny that won't be the case. My water intake is still low (40 to 50oz). My proteins better and my NUT and i have been trying to get me to eat enough food as i have apparently been starving myself so my weight loss has stalled. Have you had a revision and has it been successful in curing reflux? Have you lost more weight? What vitamins do you take daily so malnutrition doesn't become a problem? Any advice? 

You mentioned many things. First is about whether to have revision surgery. All else aside severe GERD indicates that conversion to RNY is appropriate. You will get relief from your GERD. Even if it's not completely cured, it should be vastly improved.

Next, don't worry about exercise for weight loss. Exercise is good for cardiovascular health but realistically doesn't have all that much of a bearing on weight loss. What you eat is vastly more important. And as your nutritionist said, you need to eat enough. You also need to be getting more fluids. Protein shakes count as fluids, and they will also help you meet your nutritional goals.

It's scary to be facing revision surgery, but it really can make things better for you. Good luck.

I totally agree with Wendy's advice.  

You also asked about vitamins. A person with a gastric bypass, whether by revision or not, will need to take vitaimin pills every day for the rest of their life. For example, I take two chewable multivitamin pills, four calcium pills, one vitamin D pill, and one vitamin B-12 pill (under the tongue) each day.  Most other people also take iron pills, but I do not need to take iron as my body is naturally very high in iron.

These vitamin pills need to be taken at two or more times over the day. I have been doing this for the last three years. It is no big deal (although it is required to avoid long term health problems) as it takes only a few seconds each day and the pills are fairly cheap if you buy them on sale at a major pharmacy (like Walgreens or CVS).

most of the time when I take all my vitamins and like you said 2 times a day I can't eat a lot. Also, they make me sick a lot of days even taking them after I eat. 

7 hours ago, Minfit said:

most of the time when I take all my vitamins and like you said 2 times a day I can't eat a lot. Also, they make me sick a lot of days even taking them after I eat. 

I am sorry that you are having problems taking vitamins, but you need to take vitamins every day after a gastric bypass or you will get very sick at some point due to a vitamin deficiency.

I suggest that you figure out which of the vitamin pills is causing the problem by skipping a different type of pill each day.  In other words, if tomorrow you take all of your vitamin pills except for the iron pill and you feel fine, then the problem is the iron pill.  You can then try taking a different type of iron pill to see if that works better for you. 

By the way, calcium pills made of calcium carbonate can make a person with a gastric bypass feel quite ill, so be sure that your calcium pills are calcium citrate.