Lovely_Kate87

December surgery

18 posts in this topic

I got my date set this morning for December 20. Anyone having surgery during the month of december or around my date that we can be buddies and support each other through this change?

Indeed. My surgery is December 21st. I found this site 2 days ago, and I've been dying to actually contact someone. No responses to my "introduce yourself" part. Excited about the 2 week preop diet. What rules/guidelines do you have?

Oh nice, we will be going through this about the same time. Im sorry that you dint get a response but welcome to TT. I have only been on this forum for a few months and I have found it to be really helpful especially with all the questions ad advice you can get from the vets here and even the newbie ones. Just remember everyone has a different experience and dont base your experience on what someone else had. I am on a all protein preop diet and I start on the 6th, what kind of guidelines do you have to follow?

I suggest that you start a post to support each other and exchange ideas/worries/successes on the currently empty December 2016 surgery post page.  

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/forum/237-december-2016/

As you will see in some months the posting are quite active  For example, this one for people who had surgery scheduled for July 2016

In any case, I look forward to welcoming both of you next month to the losers bench.  I have never regretted having my weight loss surgery, and life now as a thin, healthy and active person is so much better than before.

DaniLiz likes this

8 hours ago, Lovely_Kate87 said:

What kind of guidelines do you have to follow?

I have honestly read so much at various sites that I am currently unsure. I also face the confusion between the nutritionist and the doctor. On my first appointment, I was approved for the surgery and was told that my BMI was low enough to only do the pre-op diet for 1 week. THEN at my second appointment my doctor was kind of smug and said, no you'll have to do it for 2 weeks, that's the standard. She told me if I am REALLY hungry during week 1, i can eat a small tilapia fillet or something. The nutritionist said absolutely not. SO I scheduled my 3rd appointment with the Dr. for December 1st to straighten all this out. They did give me a handout with some guidelines that's not on me now, but during the 2 week liquid diet they say.. eat a protein bar once a day (THAT'S NOT LIQUID) LOL. I hate crunchy crunchy things, so I am hoping to trade protien bars for chicken and fish... I'll look into this link Res Ipsa sent us. Thx

While there is a wealth of scientific data on the surgery itself, dietary recommendations before and after surgery are less well documented. As a result practices develop their own protocols, and in some cases (such as yours), there's variability within the practice. All of these conspire to make things all the more confusing. Hence the refrain you'll see here time and time again to follow the guidelines you were given.

Work with your program. If you need more specific guidelines and confirmation, seek them. Don't hesitate to propose an alternate approach. I would hope your nutritionist won't say, "no, you must avoid fresh lean meats in favor of highly processed meal replacements that you don't enjoy."

The bottom line is that your liver needs to be small and pliable for your surgery so that your surgeon can safely work under it to access your stomach. Talk with them, and tell them you're getting mixed messages. You'll get it figured out.

DaniLiz and tmcgee like this

I've seen 4 dietitians in my program over the last 3 3/4 years. They all still work there, but they are divided between two hospitals and it depends on which day you have your appointment. They are also readily available by phone. When I have trouble following my plan, they always have good suggestions for changes I didn't consider.

51 minutes ago, WendyH said:

I would hope your nutritionist won't say, "no, you must avoid fresh lean meats in favor of highly processed meal replacements that you don't enjoy."

The bottom line is that your liver needs to be small and pliable for your surgery so that your surgeon can safely work under it to access your stomach. Talk with them, and tell them you're getting mixed messages. You'll get it figured out.

Thank you for the advice Wendy. I did send an email to my patient advocate explaining that my success depends on my understanding what to do, and the wrinkles need to be ironed out before we proceed. So we did get me scheduled in. HOWEVER the nutritionist will not be there that day. What a bummer. I'm having surgery tomorrow on my sinuses (ouch).. once I know how soon I can be back on my feet, I'll hopefully get an appointment with her. I want to know what to feed my 4 and 5 year olds too. 

Thanks again,

Danielle

8 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I suggest that you start a post to support each other and exchange ideas/worries/successes on the currently empty December 2016 surgery post page.  

Thank you! I started the first topic! - I'm trying to get used to this site. I thought no one was answering me for a while, then found replies to my posts.

Res Ipsa likes this

On 11/16/2016 at 1:29 PM, WendyH said:

Talk with them, and tell them you're getting mixed messages. You'll get it figured out.

Wendy, I noticed your app goal images after your messages. I just my fitness pal too, are you paying for an upgraded app that tracks more stuff? Just curious if I should be worried so much about sodium more than what type of fats. etc.

I've been looking for a good barbaric app. The hunt is still on. 

27 minutes ago, DaniLiz said:

I've been looking for a good barbaric app. The hunt is still on. 

Auto correct made me literally LOL. :)

DaniLiz and WendyH like this

I use the free version of myfitnesspal. It gives me the information i need, and I don't find the ads bothersome. I customized my macronutrient goals and upped my sodium allowance long ago.

Cool. I am hoping the doctor will help me with my preop values vs. post opp on the app so it's easy for me to follow.I may message you again about this after december 1st, to get some more feedback. Thanks

On 11/14/2016 at 9:39 PM, Lovely_Kate87 said:

I got my date set this morning for December 20. Anyone having surgery during the month of december or around my date that we can be buddies and support each other through this change?

Hi! New to this site. Looks like we have the same surgery dates! I'm looking for a buddy to be nervous with lol

Welcome to ThinnerTimes RuRu!

21 minutes ago, RuRu said:

Hi! New to this site. Looks like we have the same surgery dates! I'm looking for a buddy to be nervous with lol

Welcome!  You'll find other December 2016 people posting here at TTF:

i cannot wait to see you on the "losers bench" in a few weeks. :)

11 hours ago, RuRu said:

I'm pretty new to the site as well, but I am finding a plethora of information on here that's making me less nervous and more confident about the procedure. Get it all out there, ask/share what is on your mind.

On 11/19/2016 at 9:24 AM, RuRu said:

Welcome to TT. Im excited for you and happy to have a surgery buddy to worry with. How are you feeling about everything? Im shocked its so soon and scared that i will fail.