Elaineinpain

Going for 2nd revision or reversal with Sleeve?

I had my gastric bypass rny in July 2009. Everything was going great until March 2015 when I developed a massive marginal ulcer that medication didn't heal. I had a revision in June 2015 and by January of 2016 was in severe pain again . I am now in hospital for 9 day due to another massive ulcer however due to unexplained  severe bruising all over my body am now being followed by the hematology team as well as the bariatric team. I have had 6 days worth of iron infusions and am still waiting for lab results on my zinc and vitamins c levels as iron doesn't explain the bruising.  

The bariatric team is leaning towards a complete reversal and making a gastric sleeve, however I would prefer another shot at revision. I guess I'm terrified of gaining weight but more so of such an invasive surgery. 

Has anyone gone through a similar situation and if so I would love to hear how it worked out. I've still got a couple of weeks in here and would appreciate any input to help me make an informed decision . 

Thanks 

Edited by Elaineinpain

I had to look up marginal ulcers and their treatment, and based on what I read, it sounds like your doctors are on top of your situation. I'm not familiar with revising RNY to VSG. I imagine it's a technically challenging procedure, and I would prefer a surgeon experienced with that particular revision. I think it's good that your team is recommending a different approach than your first revision that didn't work out, and I understand the logic of eliminating anastamoses given your situation.

Only you can decide what's best for you, but I can share that life with a gastric sleeve has been good for me. Ultimately we all have a tool that helps us manage our eating and consequently our weight. I wouldn't be concerned about the switch from pouch to sleeve in terms of managing your weight. 

You are right to be concerned about the invasiveness of the surgery, but know that your team isn't recommending it lightly. Doctors constantly evaluate risk benefit tradeoffs, and they wouldn't recommend this course of action if they didn't think it would help you.

Hang in there, and please keep us updated. You're new to the site, and I hope you stick around.

everything wendy said.  i'm so sorry, your screen name breaks my heart! i hope you're not in pain much longer, and you and your doctors find a solution for you that really helps. please keep us posted, we're rooting for you. 

I am so very sorry to hear of your painful journey. We are here to support you.

It should get better if the doctors revise you into a sleeve, but you are right to be sure that this is the best available option.   

Have you been told what caused your ulcers?