Sign in to follow this  
HCUK

dont know how to ask this so i just will. (gross)

when any members here had their rny the first time you pooped.  did it stink and contain alot of old black blood?    i have experienced this and dont know how usual this is.  i feel good otherwise. on hardly any painkillers now (4days post op)

I honestly don't recall my first post-op BM. I wouldn't think that blood in the first post-op stools would be alarming. After all, your digestive tract was sliced and diced.

Anytime you have any medically related concern, don't hesitate to call your surgical team, even on the weekend. I'm glad you're feeling well.

My first stool was very dark and smelly but I was told that it wasn't anything to worry about unless it continued.

I had a BM Monday morning (the morning of my surgery). I didn't have another until today (Thursday) and it was very loose, but otherwise normal in color and smell. My main concern was that for three days I didn't go at all, and I'm pretty regular normally. Perhaps it's fire to the fact I've been on a liquid diet since one week before my surgery. Now that I've gone, I'm less concerned.

I was told it could take 2 weeks after surgery.  Mine was 6 days and it was like passing a cannon ball.  I learned to stay on top of it and make sure I went every day.  It took over 3 years not to have to take fiber and stool softeners.

if you end up needing help, smooth move tea is helpful.  My back up plan was MOM.

Well, I hope I pass no cannon balls, Cheesehead! :D As for fiber, do you take regular fiber supplements like sugar free Metamucil and Benefiber?

I took 2 chewable fiber tablets a day.  Couldn't gag down anything I had to drink..

Miralax (or cheaper generic polyethylene glycol like Equate Clearlax,  Kirkland LaxaClear and Walgreens Smooth Lax is a tasteless powder that you can mix with pretty much any drink.