Vic4306623

Gaining weight - would like your advice

18 posts in this topic

Hi,  I am 3 years post-Gastric Bypass and have in the past 3-4 months put on ~15 lbs.  I noticed the scale creeping up, but when my jeans didn't fit (seems it is waist and thighs concentrated), that was the wake up call.  It has been a VERY stressful time and I have not been following the rules. I take full responsibility.  My meal portions aren't out of whack but what I am consuming is not the lean/mean diet it used to be and I have been having more wine lately. 

I want to get back on track and feel I need a jumpstart.  Am open to any and all suggestions.  What has worked for you all?  Do I need to go back to the beginning and do liquids, and if so, is it the clear liquids or do I do protein shakes (I don't want to lose my hair again)?

Thank you in advance!

You could do a lot worse that give the 5 Day Pouch Test a try.

It'll help you get back on track.

bellamoma, Zen_Steph and ThinCVT like this

I agree. Also you are not at risk for hair loss by switching your diet; the hair loss that you may have had after weight loss surgery was due to the surgery not the diet. 

ThinCVT likes this

I don't think we are allowed to post links here, but search Bariatric Eating, back on track.  The plan is 4-5 protein drinks a day and one small protein/veggie meal.  I am almost 7 years out from surgery and have lost almost 10 pounds of a 50 pound regain in a month.  The website has tons of bariatric friendly recipes.  There is also a very supportive FB group- although they do push using the BE protein products, which can be a bit annoying.  Good luck!

BurgundyBoy, GAviv and bellamoma like this

1 minute ago, Avanelle said:

I don't think we are allowed to post links here, but search Bariatric Eating, back on track.  The plan is 4-5 protein drinks a day and one small protein/veggie meal.  I am almost 7 years out from surgery and have lost almost 10 pounds of a 50 pound regain in a month.  The website has tons of bariatric friendly recipes.  There is also a very supportive FB group- although they do push using the BE protein products, which can be a bit annoying.  Good luck!

There's no issue on posting links for plans to help us on our bariatric journey.  Here's the link to the Bariatric Eating No Regain Back On Track plan.

The only thing we don't permit is advertising/spam.

ThinCVT, BurgundyBoy and Avanelle like this

Looks like you've been given some good advice. It looks like you know where you've been off plan so you really already know what to do.  Congrats to you for doing so well for three years and recognizing you need to get back on track now rather than later!! 

BurgundyBoy likes this

I had gastric bypass in July of 2012 I weighed 310 pounds Lost 100 pounds and started to gain weight and am now 250 pounds I live in a group home now because I have autism.

Channing

Channing,

Is the group home able to cater your nutritional needs as a RNY patient?  Lean protein, vegetables and salads etc?

The group  the group home is not able to cater to my nutritional needs as an RNY patient like lean protein, Vegetables and salads etc..

Channing

Channing,

Give us an idea of what meals are available to you throughout the day.  List what you had for breakfast, lunch and dinner this past couple of days.

Also, do you have a fridge available?  Many markets now have pre-prepared salads in containers that'll serve 3 or 4 meals.

For I I eat eggs in the morning, This afternoon I had chicken, Salad and a small bowl of potato soup, Last Night I had Shrimp and for Snack I this morning I had some pretzles and some wheat thin chips and I have trail mix in the afternoon. There is not enough room in the fridge for salads because I live in a group home the group home told me that they would throw away my things 

Channing,

Do you log your foods to know how many calories (how much protein and carbs etc.) you're eating?

The best way I know of to lose weight is to ditch the carb stuff like the pretzels, wheat thins and trail mix. 

Are you allowed Greek yogurt, string cheese?  

Jerky is good protein.  If I want to feel full I eat an apple.  They don't require refrigeration.  I get all my protein in.  But ditch the high calorie processed carbs!  Crackers have no nutrition and don't fill you up.  

cinwa and BurgundyBoy like this

@[email protected]

Beef jerky is a good suggestion. I buy mine in big bags at Costco so it is not too expensive, and most of the time it doesn't need to be refrigerated. At my local Costco they have several kinds with almost no added sugar so they are 60-70 calories an ounce, not 100 like the ones with lots of sugar.

I like trail mix too, but it has a lot of calories and carbs, so I had to give it up. Let us know how you are doing!

I do not log my foods at all

Channing

Given your weight increase Channing, I think that it'd be a good idea to start logging your foods.  Bottom line, you're taking in more calories than your body needs and that's why you've put on the 15lb.

And it's a good idea to know where those calories are coming from in terms of protein, carbs and fats.

Also - are you doing much in the way of exercising?

I  I go swimming

I go swimming once a week at my group home and I Exercise twice a week at my Day program. At my group home I am not allowed out to exercise without Staff people.

Channing

Channing - great on the swimming!

OK - bottom line is that it  takes approx. 3,500 calories to equal about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat so you eat 3,500 calories more than your body needs to put on 1 pound of weight.  

The 15lb of weight that you've put on over the past 3 - 4 months (we'll call it 4 months -  rounded to 120 days) basically means that you've eaten approx. 52,000 extra calories.  That works out to be roughly 434 calories a day over and above what your body needs to maintain your weight.

I'm guessing that with pretzels being approximately, 110 calories/per oz. (25g carbs), Wheat Thins are 133 cals/oz (21g carbs), and generic trail mix is 130 cals/oz. (13g carbs), that's where your biggest issue is.

The suggestion of jerky is great, same with rice cakes, roasted edamame and apples etc.

Aussie H, Minfit and BurgundyBoy like this