Shae-Rock

Fluctuating weight

9 posts in this topic

Hey! I'm 5 weeks post op, and now I've been up and down in weight by 3-4 lbs.  I started working out doing 1 1/2 miles 4 days a week and a little weight training for the flab.... Is the working out causing the stall, is the fact that I'm only doing 1-2 protein shakes a day (instead of 3) making it difficult. The lowest weight I had reached was 246....now coming home from the gym I'm 250.....I'M about to scream!!!! Help!

vsgguy likes this

I think the most important things to remember at this point, drinking a minimum of 64 oz. of water, measuring your portions, counting your Protein, journaling- track everything that you put into your mouth.  I did not begin to incorporate exercise until about 6 months. I do not feel that exercise is as vital to success as diet. I work out 4-6 times a week now at 2 + years post op, I do it for my mental health as much as my physical health. I would let your process/program work for you and not worry as much about the exercise, nor the scale. The scale will drive you crazy if you let it. Have faith in the process, you are doing great, just remember there will be bumps in the road, come here and read, ask for advice and believe in yourself. You are on your way. Good luck to you

Edited by vsgguy
Shae-Rock and LeeC like this

You could be at the tail end of the 3 week stall.  Also, by working out, you may need to increase your calories just a little bit.  Before doing that, please check with your NUT.

Shae-Rock and vsgguy like this

Thank you kzoojason76.....today i checked.my wait and it went down some....but for the most part, i nelieve I'm losing inches....and i feel more so better about that than the numbers

On 11/1/2016 at 1:22 PM, vsgguy said:

I think the most important things to remember at this point, drinking a minimum of 64 oz. of water, measuring your portions, counting your Protein, journaling- track everything that you put into your mouth.  I did not begin to incorporate exercise until about 6 months. I do not feel that exercise is as vital to success as diet. I work out 4-6 times a week now at 2 + years post op, I do it for my mental health as much as my physical health. I would let your process/program work for you and not worry as much about the exercise, nor the scale. The scale will drive you crazy if you let it. Have faith in the process, you are doing great, just remember there will be bumps in the road, come here and read, ask for advice and believe in yourself. You are on your way. Good luck to you

Thank you, for the positive outlook 

I have a 35+ year documented history of scales ruining every diet I have attempted and because of that, I decided not to have scales in the house until I was in the normal BMI range for my height.

It allowed me to focus on following the programme.

I weigh myself every day. Most days it doesn't change but then I'll have a week where I lose every day. It's a stair step that trends down. I have thought long and hard about giving up the scale, but I love the data and it doesn't make me feel bad about myself or the decision to have surgery so I keep it.

I was over weight for years, I'm not going to get to a normal weight in one year. My surgeon said to try to hit 10 pounds per month. 

athenarose likes this

3 hours ago, KMFL28 said:

I weigh myself every day. Most days it doesn't change but then I'll have a week where I lose every day. It's a stair step that trends down. I have thought long and hard about giving up the scale, but I love the data and it doesn't make me feel bad about myself or the decision to have surgery so I keep it.

I was over weight for years, I'm not going to get to a normal weight in one year. My surgeon said to try to hit 10 pounds per month. 

We are totally two peas in a pod! I weigh myself every day too and I find, the more I weigh myself, the easier it is to be non-emotional about the times the scale goes up or stalls. It's also helped me to recognize patterns in my loss. I've figured out that bumping up my calories often helps me break a stall and my hormones and cycle play a big role in whether I'm stalling or losing.

I say, do what works for you. If the scale is driving you nuts, take a break. Its just another tool, use it in whatever way helps you be most successful.

Shae-Rock, cinwa, WendyH and 1 other like this