Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
[PM]

Newbie here! Many doubts.

8 posts in this topic

Hello to all thinner times users, thank you for keeping up forums like this, I’m finding great motivation right here.

Around one month ago I was introduced to this type of surgeries, because a I met a friend of a friend who have done it.

Since that time the idea of doing one myself doesn’t leave my head, I barely can’t concentrate at work and find myself contantly thinking of the thinner times after the sleeve surgery.

I’m 5ft11,5in and weight of 268 pounds - male - 32 years old. I guess I could be a good candidate.

But I’m not sure if the surgery is right for me or if I really really want it. I want to get fit but thinking of removing almost all of my stomach is still very weird for me. Sometimes I’m very confident and I want it, other times I think I just don’t have the courage to do it. I’m on a limbo. I don’t know if I will some day lose weight again and be healthy again. I have a son (and planning another) and now I’m not thinking just for me. I want to be an example for my kids and I want to live many years to see them grow up.

So I need some motivation and have doubts:

1. Stomach - the cut on my stomach will heal? I guess this is a dumb question but..! I’m asking this because of day to day life. For example, will I be able to do any kind of exercise after surgery?

2. Eating out - I have a lovely family and sometimes I like to take my family to a nice restaurant and enjoy a nice meal. When this will be possible? My problem is not this kind of meals. My problem is between those meals - cookies, candies, cakes, coca-cola, popcorn, etc. I don’t want to prevent my family to enjoy my company during this eating-out dates.

3. Exercise - I really do love exercising. I was a handball player some time ago and this year I returned to the field - It’s hard because of my weight but I’m fighting for it. Handball is a very physical game, it’s tough. The scar in my stomach will be cured? I have very high chances of fall down on my stomach or lead with a strong bump of kick or any kind of force. The sleeve is strong? Am i able to do any kind of exercise (after post-op time of course)?

4. Energy - after sleeve you won’t be able to eat nice quantities of food, right? The food/calories you eat is enough for your day? Any special procedures for when you want to exercise and request more energy to your body? Is frequent to feel low energy because you can’t eat the calories you need?

What do you think? Do you recommend the sleeve? Are you happy with your own sleeve?

What was the most significal changes to your routines? And about to your social life?

Please be in mind that I’m new to this idea and my english is not good - I’m from Portugal.

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to receive some help here.

Edited by [PM]

Welcome!  I'm not sleeve but bypass.  Similar surgeries but different...

I postponed surgery for years because of what ifs... I wish now I had done it sooner!

yes, the scars heal.  I can't remember how many puncture wounds I had.  I can see a could but they are very faint..

eating out is still fun, but you get to bring it home to enjoy again or share with a spouse.  You get full much quicker..it does not do surgery on your head; only you can control what goes in your mouth...some will say they can have sweets around; I chose to avoid temptation...

most doctors encourage exercise starting within 6 week after surgery.  There are marathon runners on here:)  

for some energy is a problem the first few weeks (it was not an issue for me) after all; you had major surgery.  But as you lose weight we find we actually have more energy when you don't have to haul around extra weight!

I scuba dive now; something my health problems when I was over weight prevented me from doing.  

We are just normal people who have a life back after losing a large amount of weight.  good luck on what you decide..

Edited by Cheesehead
PapaG likes this

Welcome, you have lots of good questions.

There should be no issues with exercising, the incisions and stomach heal up very nicely.  Of course you won't be able to play handball immediately after surgery, you will need to give yourself time to heal just like with any surgery; but you will heal.  Like Cheesehead mentioned, usual release to exercise is about 6 weeks, but ask your program they will assess you and let you know.  What I believe you'll find is that after you lose weight you'll be able to do so much more than you can now.  It won't be a question of "can I exercise" but a question of "what do I want to do today" because you will have so many options.  I find myself doing things now I never imagined I could do.  A whole new world will open up.

You will also be able to eat out, I do all the time.  Will you be able to eat a huge plate of food, nope, but you will be able to have a great dinner and enjoy it.  I actually enjoy eating out more now that pre-surgery, no I enjoy the food, I don't just gulp it down.  Sounds like the challenge will be getting away from the snacking on cookies and the like .

Cheesehead likes this

Thank you for your kindly answers. Talking about this to people who have already done it is very helpful. 

@Cheesehead about the scars, I was referring to the stomach scar. What happens to stitching yarn? Do I will need it forever? Or the "two sides" of the stomach will merge together like the skin? 
LOL I'm feeling a little embarrassed with this questions. 

@PapaG I found your words very motivational. Thank you. Right now I don't even schedule any doctor appointment. I'm just struggling with the idea!! lolol 
You are absolutely right. Cookies and snacks will be forever my problem. But I think will be more easy to cheat my hungry, like, "I want cookies RIGHT NOW" - "ok, I guess I can eat 1-2 cookies but let me first intake half a fruit and after the cookies" - "ok, the apple was great but now I cannot eat more, I'm full!!" LOL I'm just joking.. no doubts that I need to change my habits. 

Edited by [PM]

PM; there are usually only 5-7 puncture wounds from the surgery.  Mine were held together with tape, a couple fell off which was ok and the others the doctor removed at 12 days.  The wounds were only about an inch or less long.  Unless they have to do it open which is rarely.  I was back at work, full time on my feet all day on day 9.  On day 11 I hosted a big super bowl party.  I recovered quickly.  

Hi PM. As others have mentioned, you will be able to resume normal activities in time, and you will be able to enjoy eating at restaurants with your family. You need to heal fully, but in time your life will normalize.

That mentioned, your body mass index (BMI) is between 35 and 40. In the US, people who have that BMI level typically must have obesity related comorbidities for insurance to pay for the surgery. 

I read people talking about BMI. Please keep in mind that is a statistical tool and don't get freaked out without consulting it with doctor.

Here is a good tool on BMI that can give you a better report than many tools out there: http://findbmi.com

Hope it helps.

I too eat out frequently but just eat much less.

I do not want as much alcohol either and find that an inch or so of wine is plenty.

Scars? I just have five tiny lines which are red but fading. Each one is less than an inch.

No stitches. Just tape.

It has been life changing for me and I have no regrets. Only I am buying loads and loads of new clothes. :rolleyes: