Minfit

How can I be gaining weight?????

21 posts in this topic

ok, I have not done anything different and the last 3 days I have gained a lb. A day that's 3 lbs. I called the dr. He said I was retaining water. Why? I don't have (that time of the month anymore) kind of disappointing. 

It's totally normal, I would say stay off the scales for a while, or you will make yourself crazy.  You're still very early out, I was a slow loser at the start, but now I'm just about where I need to be.  It will happen for you, just follow your plan.

Minfit and bellamoma like this

The important thing is stay on your plan and somme folks are better off if they stay off the scale, I'm not one of them. I weigh almost every day and can tell even before I get on the scale if I'll be a pound or two more or less. I hover around 205 and I'm quite happy with that.

bellamoma and Minfit like this

What are you eating?   If I eat any wheat, like even half of a whole wheat pita or low carb tortilla I will not lose. If I dont drink enough water I will gain a pound or two.

Try and figure out if there is something in your diet , cut that out and wait a few days, does it correct?  If not cut something else out.

Keep it as simple as possible and on plan.

That said, my plan allowed Whole Wheat, but I am just one of the lucky chosen ones that can not handle it.

Remember this is a TOOL to help you lose weight, its not going to do all the work for you, one has to learn what is best for ones own body, what works and what doesn't. 

Looks like you have lost 40 pounds!

Edited by babykinz53
added something.
Minfit likes this

Thanks everyone, but no change in diet. Living off of eggs, isolate pure protein drink ,40, grams protein, yogurt,boiled chicken, soup, tuna. I get around 60_75oz water. About 500 calories a day. 

Don't look like no more calories than we eat that eating whole wheat bread would make a difference but I have not ate any bread, some days I am so sick I only drink my protein 

Yes ,40lbs, and I sure don't want to start going in the other direction.  

I see that your surgery was relatively recent. I had and still sometimes have the same issue. Try to remember that the loss will not be linear. There will be times where you may go up a few lbs (sometimes with no identifiable reason) or stay at the same weight for a while regardless of diet or level of activity. You will hit plateaus. I see that some people on here will stay at a certain weight for weeks before losing again. Just keep an eye on it and you'll probably start losing again soon. Sometimes I'll go up by a lb or two for a few days and then suddenly go down about 5 lbs over a few days. The loss period is so extremely different for everyone so don't get too down about it. Eventually I stopped weighing myself every day. That might help you deal with it a little better. Like I said, your weight will go down but if you graphed it, it would definitely not be a straight line, it'd be more like a staircase or craggy hills that trend downward over time. I hope that makes sense. Good luck!

Minfit likes this

Sometimes bodies just retain water. It's normal.

If water weight tends to bother you that much, you might invest in a body fat scale. They're not that accurate but when you see a weight gain and a sudden drop in body fat you know that there is no need to worry.

Isaare likes this

Sounds like you're stalling a bit. Stall makes it sound like weight loss simply halts for a bit, but as you can attest, sometimes it bounces around, and the upward bounces can be unnerving. Stay the course, and you'll be fine. You may actually even upping your calories a little bit. Half to one more protein drink a day could help your body realize it's not starving.

Minfit likes this

Change up your routine a bit.  How many gr protein and carbs are you getting.  Sometime upping the protein helps.  I only weighed every other week and never noticed a stall.  

Have you taken your measurements?  Sometimes if you slow down you are still losing inches...

Minfit likes this

I know this may sound crazy, and you'll definitely want to check with your NUT first, but maybe you're getting too few calories.  Sometimes you need to feed the fire to make the engine burn a little better.  500 cal/day seems really low to me.  For the first few months, my NUT had me at 700-900 cal/day.

Might be worth asking the question.

- Jason

Oops.. helps if I read the entire thread.  Looks like Wendy gave you the same advice!

Edited by kzoojason76
Minfit likes this

How much salt are you consuming. Excess salt can cause fluid retention.

Canned soups(unless marked "low sodium") are very high in sodium.

Don't eat canned soup, I just think I am not getting enough calories.  

well it is happening again!! Not doing any different, I am getting a little more protein in than before and this whole week I have gained weight!! How??? I dont eat bad carbs, no bread, same thing I have been  doing I have even added turkey sausage. By my scale the ones I have always used has me gaining 8lbs. I don't weight but 2 times a week , last time I lost all of it and a little more, but how do you gain that much almost overnight. 

I have lost almost 60 lbs. In all but my dr said I should be down to 190 when I go back on Dec.6 well I sure am not going to make that. I know I have stuck to the plan so I don't understand. 

I have a friend who had surgery 1month before me and she has lost almost 75 lbs. Said she never gained or stalled and she told me she eats ice cream, drinks alcohol, she looks great. Guess it just isn't going to be easy for me. 

Every journey is different. Yours sounds like it will require discipline on your part, which may actually work in your favor. Your friend is having an easy time of it now, but you are learning the habits that will last you a lifetime. Results will follow your behaviors, unfortunately not always on the schedule we would prefer. Keep plugging away. This is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Your friends honeymoon period is not going to last forever.  Now is the time to change your eating habit to the good.  And don't compare your self to others it's just frustrating...

have you changed your exercise program?  What are you eating?  Are you getting enough protein, liquids?  

i don't eat enough, I know that. I try hard everyday and it is always the same. I eat my yogurt for breakfast I wait 30 minutes take all my vitamins, I start drinking as much as I can, usually 60_80 oz. A day. Then it's lunch time, turkey sausage 1 to 2 links maybe a egg I will eat half of this , dinner comes around I will finish what is left from before. Then I will drink a mix of one package of carnation sugar free drink with 12oz of protein milk mix it together and that's it for the day. 

Whatever I eat, I try to mix it up. Ham and beans, homemade taco meat with beans, chicken and broccoli. I never eat much and then I eat the rest that evening. 

My exercise is walking, cleaning and running after 2 dogs. But I am starting the gym next week, I have a lot of health problems that prevent me from a lot of things but walking is something I can do with no problem. 

I know my friend is riding high right now and I wish her all the good luck their is, but she is not changing her lifestyle so it seems to me she would not be doing so good. How come people who cheat and don't change,  do great? Then you have a person who is trying so hard going by the plan and their honeymoon period is not that successful. 

Today I ate some pork ribs, half a piece of baked chicken, bite of collards I was full. They dinner time I ate s bite of sweet potato, more chicken and s bite of collards. This is the most I have ate since before surgery, so glad I didn't get sick. 

Just get tired of the routine day in day out and every few weeks I gain 2_6 lbs. Out of nowhere, then after a week or so it's gone back down. 

Thanks everyone for listening to me go on and on. I don't have a girlfriend or anyone close to talk with

Hey it sounds like maybe you're not getting enough calories in? Just recently i upped my calories because i want to maintain now, and i lost 2 lb out of nowhere. I really wonder if I needed some more calories. Up your calories, starting with protein. Hope that helps you.  And I have to second and third what the others have said- now is the time to be reborn in a way- to create a whole new relationship with food. you could eat cupcakes every day and probably still lose weight during the honeymoon phase. But it won't last. You're doing the right thing, seems like you just need more of the right thing. Good luck!

Minfit likes this

If you are only eating 3 meals, try putting yourself on a schedule to eat every 3 hours to equal 5 times a day, that will help you get the extra calories. I would have yogurt or a meat and cheese roll up. I would have a sticky note on my desk with the times that I would have my meals. Good luck. 

some times a day/week of increased calories can make that scale move a little, sometimes we have to play "mind games" with our bodies, they get to used to a routine that is predictable.