EverybodylovesADanish

How can there be so much food in my stomach?

12 posts in this topic

Hey. 

I have been green lit to eat whatever i want, as long as i follow the guidelines, and i do not eat something with much sugar, or  much fat. 
We still, or least some of us still get our cravings. 

Over one hour today i ate:  ( I have found out that i CAN colerate sugar, but of course i don't go crazy)

My meal were suppose to be: 150 grams cottage cheese. 
But i still had a sweet tooth, and i wanted to get me a little something. So. 

150 grams cottage cheese
45 grams of Sugarfree Candy
1 Milkslice from Kinder ( Small cake that has 100 calories)
1 Kinder pingui ( Small cake that has 1 23 kalories)
1 Sugarfree snack bar 

I know it's not a lot if you weight it. Maybe 300 grams if you weight it. 
But I just can't still understand, i can eat that much. I am full now, but if i could eat like that every second hour, then i would surely not loose weight. 

It concers me a bit. Someone have said that they can only eat a half a slice of Rye bread, which i think is insane. I can eat 2 slices  with no problem. 
I'm almost a month from surgery.  My advisor said that i should eat 1200-1400 calories. Which i can, and which I do. 

But that "pouch" they are talking about are not larger than an egg. It may be. But the food is still going down.

Edited by EverybodylovesADanish

Just because you can eat it doesn't mean you need to eat it.

it was by eating junk that got you to the point of needing surgery.  Stop the sweets and carbs until you get to goal.  Or you will never reach goal...

JulieW, 50zann, GAviv and 3 others like this

That was a terrible answer.. 

The truth is you should not be eating those kinds of foods at this early stage if you want to have successful long-term weight loss.  Eat protein first, then fill up on veggies.  Those are foods that fill you up and keep you full.  They also decrease those cravings for carbs.  The more junk carbs you eat the more you crave.  Lois is exactly spot on...just because you physically CAN eat something doesn't mean you SHOULD.  

Cheesehead, ThinCVT and tmcgee like this

1 hour ago, EverybodylovesADanish said:

I respectfully disagree, that is what you need to hear.  The pouch can control quantities and provide benefits through malabsorption, but that doesn't mean you should eat what ever you want and still expect to lose weight.  Sugar free doesn't mean healthy its important to remember that.  Cakes and candies are trigger foods that should be eating in moderation and not at all as early out as you are, you need to be eating high protein foods, keeping down the carbs.  When not eating protein focus on veggies and fruits, they will give you what you need to lose and be healthy.

As for why you could eat so much, things like cakes are not dense and move through our new stomachs quickly.  Also because they are so soft they don't promote a feeling of fullness making you think you can eat more.  This is the danger of believing we can eat until we're full after WLS.  Be sure to measure what you're eating, ensuring healthy portions and don't eat any more than that.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but its important nonetheless.

ThinCVT, Cheesehead, tmcgee and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, EverybodylovesADanish said:

That was a truthful answer.

dredfern, JulieW, PapaG and 3 others like this

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

That was a truthful answer.

Amen!

PapaG and tmcgee like this

7 hours ago, EverybodylovesADanish said:

Not a terrible answer, just not what you wanted to hear....  We are on your side and want you to succeed, I wish you well on your journey.

Cheesehead, ThinCVT, PapaG and 1 other like this

just because you have a craving for something doesn't mean you should give in to it!  Check with your nutritionist; I'm pretty sure she won't give you free reign to eat whatever you are craving.  For the longest time I "craved" donuts.  That doesn't mean I need to give in to it.  Instead I hike over to the deli counter and grab 4 oz of ham or chicken lunchmeat.  

All cakes, candies, goodies have them are high calories and high carbs. and no nutrition.  For example a serving of pasta has roughly 200 calories and not much nutrition.  I'd rather use less than 200 calories and eat my protein and if I want something sweet grab a fruit.  The fruit has vitamins and isn't empty calories.

i realize bariatric diets vary greatly over there from those in the US but I can't believe any nutritionist would recommend cakes and sugar free candy this early out.  Now is the time to adapt new eating habits and change what got you to the point of needing surgery in the first place.  Wls is not a magical fix, only you can control what goes into your mouth.  

And I'll say it again, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  (I could probably eat a donut or bagel, or a part of a bag of candy but that doesn't mean I'm going to.  I like feeling good, I like wearing regular clothes, I like being able to play with my grandkids way more than I like the taste of those things!  I find if I go carb heavy then I only want more carbs.). I don't say it to be rude or mean...

GAviv, ThinCVT and PapaG like this

What you ate are slider foods.  They have no density so they slide right through your pouch.  I could easily eat two large pieces of cake or a large bag of movie popcorn, but only 3-4 ounces of steak or chicken.  The former made me fat, the latter keeps me thin.  Also, I never eat till I'm full, just satisfied.  Eating to fullness is another thing that made me fat.

also realize the more carbs you eat, the more carbs you crave, which becomes a vicious cycle.  You will never be satisfied.  As for the sugar free stuff, unless it is erythritol, your body reacts to artificial sweeteners the same as real sugar.  You still get the insulin spikes and crash and resulting carb cravings.  The only way to get rid if the cravings is to go cold turkey on the sweets and carbs.  Like others said, stick with protein and veggies.  If you are really struggling with your sweet tooth and just can't refrain, it may be a sign of addiction and therapy could help get you on the right track.

PapaG and Cheesehead like this

Hey everyone. 
Just wanted to say sorry i was lashing out. 

I am in week 5 now, and i have found my rythm, and i'm loosing weight again. 
The hardest is to deal with your head, and your cravings. That takes time to overcome that. 

I also felt like my body had to heal. I felt like my body and mind had been in a woodchipper. 
It has not reconnected 100 % still. 

Today I'm eating under around 20-40 carbs a day. And i make sure i get enough fat. Between 30-50 grams a day and 120 grams of protein. Eating meat, eggwhites, veggies, protein shakes, nuts, With very few "guilty pleasures".. If you can call it that. Sugarfree 30 grams protein bar, with less than 5 carbs.

Then i am covered, and i know i'm eating correctly. I think a lot stall, because they don't eat enough fat in their diet. Some eliminate it almost. 

Eating meat, eggwhites, veggies, protein shakes, nuts,

Just wanted to say i'm back on track. You got to get to know new you, after that operation. And it takes time :)

WendyH likes this

Im trying to to be in ketosis as much as possible. That should give the best possible weight loss.