Melina89

excess skin and surgery to remove?

34 posts in this topic

Well it has been 2.5 weeks since my surgery. It has been a physical and emotional roller coaster. I got my drains removed 1 week out. That made it a little easier to move around. At week 2 I went in to have my staples removed. The ones from my arms went okay with slight pain. My legs however were pretty bad. I cried through most of it with a lot of screams/sobs. They ended up removing only every other staple as my legs were not as healed completely. So I am going in on Wednesday to have the rest of the staples removed. I am not able to lift my arms all the way without pain and I can't lift my right arm all the way. The doctor said to exercise lifting it against the wall and crawl my fingers up higher and higher each time so I am working on that. This has actually been the toughest week. My emotions have been all over the place from happy to crying for no reason. The over thinking and being happy about the surgery to thinking if I had made a mistake and should have done more research and thought about it more. Not sure what is really wrong with me emotionally. I think it's probably normal after any surgery. I am stuck in the house and alone most of the time which is making me depressed. The doctor doesn't want me driving until at least week 4 or 5. So I am trying to find things to occupy my mind and thought I would update you guys on how everything is going. Until next time. 

Hang in there <3 

Sending a big healing hug your way.

22 hours ago, Melina89 said:

Well it has been 2.5 weeks since my surgery. It has been a physical and emotional roller coaster. I got my drains removed 1 week out. That made it a little easier to move around. At week 2 I went in to have my staples removed. The ones from my arms went okay with slight pain. My legs however were pretty bad. I cried through most of it with a lot of screams/sobs. They ended up removing only every other staple as my legs were not as healed completely. So I am going in on Wednesday to have the rest of the staples removed. I am not able to lift my arms all the way without pain and I can't lift my right arm all the way. The doctor said to exercise lifting it against the wall and crawl my fingers up higher and higher each time so I am working on that. This has actually been the toughest week. My emotions have been all over the place from happy to crying for no reason. The over thinking and being happy about the surgery to thinking if I had made a mistake and should have done more research and thought about it more. Not sure what is really wrong with me emotionally. I think it's probably normal after any surgery. I am stuck in the house and alone most of the time which is making me depressed. The doctor doesn't want me driving until at least week 4 or 5. So I am trying to find things to occupy my mind and thought I would update you guys on how everything is going. Until next time. 

Be very careful. I had a similar experience with my arms. I ended up going through all kinds of therapy and have permanent damage. I am NOT trying to scare you. I am encouraging you to be proactive in finding a HCP who can help you, which may not necessarily be your plastic surgeon. 

Aussie H likes this

On 2/15/2017 at 8:31 PM, SQUIEM01 said:

So i started off at 234 piunds im down to 160 by excercising and eating better. No gastro bypass or sleeve. Just want healthier life. I want surgery for tummy tuck an doc said he would have to do all way around and that he cld remove my birth defect i was born with innthe process. Well insurance wont cover it because they state it is not medically necessary. I am at the appeal state. Any advice. I get sore in my defect and my belly button. I also now have pain in my bottom and my birth defect from weight loss. Im at. A loss all this work and i feel im at stand still. The doctor said that no matter amount of excercise i wont get my excess skin gone without surgery. What do i do, i feel that this will cause my depression to come back and  will fall back into old habits. anyone have answers.

Getting my insurance to cover my surgeries took a while as well. I have had multiple infections due to the skin. If you haven't already done so I would have your doctor extensively document all the issues you are having. Also my doctor wrote a personal letter to insurance company about why I medically needed the surgeries. My surgeon told me this goes a long way if it's a personal letter with examples of the issues you are having and the dates of all the times you have had to go in with them. As well as failed treatments. Hope this helps. 

Another update and I have gone backwards instead of forwards. I had the rest of my staples removed and again it was horrible again. Extremely painful and not sure why. I have read other posts and other people say they felt very slight to no pain so I am not sure why mine were so different. After I was finally able to move more normal. Which felt great. While it lasted. Since then I have had three wounds open. One on each of my thighs towards the groin. The other in my right arm pit. The ones in my legs were a few inches long but not too deep but they are healing. But it still makes sitting a little more difficult. The one in my ar pit was worse. Only an inch long but it was much deeper. It is finally starting to heal but I can't move my arm without it either being painful or ripping back open. So I practically have my arm glued to my side. By the way I am right handed which makes everything so much harder. So that is one of the things I am dealing with. 

The other is what my results are looking like and not being happy about it especially my arms. I guess I must have not had as much loose skin as I thought because I do not see a huge difference since the surgery. Now the second guessing has come in again and thinking I should have asked more questions, more of how it would look like after, etc. I am still overly emotional. To add to it I am getting my period every two weeks. 

I am a bit of a train wreck right now and am suppose to go back to work in a week and do not feel ready at all. I have a appointment with my surgeon before I go back to work to talk about some of these things. Even though it's a bit too late since it is now after the surgery. (Me over thinking again) has anyone had to do a revision to plastic surgery if they didn't like the results?

Thank you for reading. Needed to get all that out. 

Hi Melina, it seems to me you would have a lot of swelling, which would prevent you from seeing the real results of the surgery. It will take months before that's all gone. Good that you're seeing your surgeon soon. 

Swelling. When they do such radical work it interferes with your lymphatic drainage "canals". It takes a good 6-9 months for your body to rechannel. Be patient. I know it's hard, I had a good two weeks and now I am swelling up again. But I know that I've been pushing limits and doing things I shouldn't be doing right now (vacuuming, carrying grocery bags). 

I was thinking the same thing - swelling. You can't really judge your results for at least a couple of months. I had swelling after my plastics for at least two months. I am very happy with my results and my dr. did need to touch up the incisions on my hips a few months after my tummy tuck. I had a bit of puckering which he quickly and easily fixed right in his office. It was very important to him that I was happy with my results. I expect your dr. will feel the same so be honest about how you are feeling and remember you still have swelling. 

7 week update. I'm doing better, physically and emotionally. I am still going between depressed and feeling ok but not as bad. I have a appointment with my doctor to talk about it and see what I should do. I have had a few spots where the sutures from inside have poked through. But no more open wounds YAY. I did include updated pictures of my arms and legs. It must be me because I still don't see a huge difference in my arms and I feel they should be smaller. The surgeon said if he had made my arms smaller it would have caused more open wounds. My legs do look different. My knees don't slam together as I walk anymore. But again I feel they should still be smaller and that more skin should have been removed at the top of my legs. I guess I am just not 100% happy with how they look after all the money, pain, and time. 

IMG_8713.JPG

IMG_8714.JPG

IMG_8719.JPG

IMG_8721.JPG