9 posts in this topic

Anybody else, post op, feel like they're worthless? Feeling regret. Feeling like you made a bad decision? Is this a normal feeling? 

40 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Anybody else, post op, feel like they're worthless? Feeling regret. Feeling like you made a bad decision? Is this a normal feeling? 

Yeah, it was how I felt for a few weeks. My family, close friends, and bariatric team got me past it. If you need their help, ask for it. I never could have done it alone. It got a little better every day, and I have no regrets at 3.5 years and being down 155 pounds and staying close to that. Best wishes for you, it's a major event in your life.

bellamoma and Raeme like this

Buyers remorse?  Hormones going wacky?  Mourning the loss of one of your back stabbing best friends (food)?  It's common..

Do get help if you need it. 

tmcgee likes this

[email protected],

What you're feeling is not unusual.  This is a good read:  Depression after Bariatric Surgery: Triggers, Identification, Treatment, and Prevention

Best advice I can give is for you to call your surgeon's office and let them know what's going on.

Raeme and tmcgee like this

i agree with all of the above advice.  It's common, but it sure helps to have support so it doesn't go deeper.  You're not alone, reach out for the help you need right now. This is a bump in the road to a healthier you!

Raeme and tmcgee like this

Looks like you're about three weeks out from surgery.  I think lots of people have an emotional ride after surgery.  I think all the dramatic changes in diet and habits, rapid weight loss, anesthesia leaving your system and even having a hard time drinking and eating contribute to it early out.  Read on here like crazy and try to find comfort that you're not alone. Tell family and friends or not depending on how helpful they usually are.  Do you have a support group through your practice? Sometimes just being around post op people can help. Call your surgeon.  They may be able to set you up with a buddy who can also offer support.  Don't dismiss counseling as a choice. Many people benefit from counseling after surgery even for a short period of time.  People on this forum want you to be successful and are here to support one another.  You're not alone. 

Stephtay, bellamoma and LeeC like this

Your brain has all sorts of crazy changes going on right now. Sadness, giddiness, and my favorite--jerkiness! I was a total jerk the whole time I was losing weight. I may still be a jerk now, who knows! I get hangry, only I don't really *feel* hungry much so I often don't know I'm hangry until I eat something and instantly feel better.

It's like those Snickers commercials in real life.

Stephtay likes this

Many of us have been where you are, its not uncommon and I wish I had words to make it all better.  I believe it will pass so keep the course and come here and go to friends and family for support.  Each day gets better.

LeeC likes this

On 9/26/2016 at 8:05 PM, [email protected] said:

Yes, absolutely. You're not alone! I remember my doctor telling me it wasn't uncommon for people to feel depressed after WLS and I thought she was nuts. How could something that is supposed to make everything all better, make you depressed? Well, it did. I was down in the dumps for about 4 weeks. I cried for several days after surgery. I'm much, much better now. We all still have our days because we're human, but it does get easier. 

LeeC likes this