MrsBrewher

What did you take for insomnia?

So I'm little over a month out from Bypass, and I am finding I have insomnia.  I have tried melatonin....but it no longer works!  It was always my go to, but I might as well be taking a sugar pill.  I even tried a melatonin patch...and I was awake all night.  What did you all find worked for you?  

Trazadone 50mg was prescribed to me yesterday and I slept 9 hours last night, woke up a few times, but I didn't get up for an hour or two like I usually do.

20 hours ago, tmcgee said:

Trazadone 50mg was prescribed to me yesterday and I slept 9 hours last night, woke up a few times, but I didn't get up for an hour or two like I usually do.

How did you feel in the morning?  Groggy or normal?

I use "Simply Sleep" by Tylenol https://www.tylenol.com/products/simply-sleep-caplet - I feel rested in the morning. It hits fast within 10 minutes. I do not feel groggy in the morning, nor the need to take them every-night. 

1 hour ago, MrsBrewher said:

How did you feel in the morning?  Groggy or normal?

I felt slightly groggy after the first night, normal after the second. I got in almost 9 hours of sleep each night, although I did get up for an hour last night, but going back to sleep wasn't difficult and I stayed asleep for 5 hours, except for the old guy problem of having to pee three or four times. I'm aware but not really awake and the bathroom is only four steps from my bed. I don't turn the lights on either, but I keep a small refrigerator that holds 4 half liter bottles of water. The pilot light gives just enough illumination.

Edited by tmcgee

9 minutes ago, tmcgee said:

I felt slightly groggy after the first night, normal after the second. I got in almost 9 hours of sleep each night, although I did get up for an hour last night, but going back to sleep wasn't difficult and I stayed asleep for 5 hours, except for the old guy problem of having to pee three or four times. I'm aware but not really awake and the bathroom is only four steps from my bed. I don't turn the lights on either, but I keep a small refrigerator that holds 4 half liter bottles of water. The pilot light gives just enough illumination.

I'll have to ask the doctor about getting some...I did take a Unisom last night, and it knocked me out, and I slept!  Had vivid dreams.  I'm hoping I don't have to take them every night...I notice I'm worse on the days I workout the most.  You would think it would be opposite!  I see this is a problem with some after these surgeries.  I read it could be because we are in ketosis?  Who knows...

30 minutes ago, Zyia said:

I use "Simply Sleep" by Tylenol https://www.tylenol.com/products/simply-sleep-caplet - I feel rested in the morning. It hits fast within 10 minutes. I do not feel groggy in the morning, nor the need to take them every-night. 

I will look for this!  Thank you :-)

I take Trazadone too and it works really well.  I sleep and don't wake up groggy.

Just now, garnet dreams said:

I take Trazadone too and it works really well.  I sleep and don't wake up groggy.

Do you take it every night?

Diphenhydramine has also helped me a bit, but not nearly as effective as Trazadone.

7 minutes ago, MrsBrewher said:

Yes, every night and I am tired in about 20 minutes.

2 hours ago, MrsBrewher said:

I will look for this!  Thank you :-)

The active ingredient in SIMPLY SLEEP® by Tylenol is Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg.  

Check out straight up Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg in places like Walmart, Walgreens etc. etc.  It's an allergy relief, antihistamine.

Diphenhydramine, melatonin, camomile tea, Valium and Xanax are all things that have helped me sleep when I have occassional insomnia.  Valium is probably the most effective....I sleep like a baby, with no side effects the next day.  Xanax only if I want to be out for a long time.  You're in NM, right?  If all else fails, just head north, across the state line and pick up some "natural" sleep aid.   -_-  That's my goto these days, works like a charm and no grogginess the next day.  But make sure you get indica, not sativa.

28 minutes ago, ThinCVT said:

Diphenhydramine, melatonin, camomile tea, Valium and Xanax are all things that have helped me sleep when I have occassional insomnia.  Valium is probably the most effective....I sleep like a baby, with no side effects the next day.  Xanax only if I want to be out for a long time.  You're in NM, right?  If all else fails, just head north, across the state line and pick up some "natural" sleep aid.   -_-  That's my goto these days, works like a charm and no grogginess the next day.  But make sure you get indica, not sativa.

Xanax is evil, it has a very short half-life of about 12 hours and then your anxiety spikes. 25 years ago it took me 5  years to get off it. Clonazipam was the remedy, much longer half life so the anxiety didn't go through the roof after 12 hours. That said, xanax felt like the hand of god when it kicked in, I have no sensation at all from klonopin, except that it kills my anxiety. I'd call it a transparent drug.

32 minutes ago, tmcgee said:

Xanax is evil, it has a very short half-life of about 12 hours and then your anxiety spikes. 25 years ago it took me 5  years to get off it. Clonazipam was the remedy, much longer half life so the anxiety didn't go through the roof after 12 hours. That said, xanax felt like the hand of god when it kicked in, I have no sensation at all from klonopin, except that it kills my anxiety. I'd call it a transparent drug.

I've actually only taken Xanax 4 times in my life and not for anxiety.  The first two times immediately after my best friend committed suicide.  Those first couple weeks are all kind of a blur, but apparently I wasnt sleeping at all and my doctor (who I am good friends with) literally came to my house and handed me a pill and a glass of water on two different occasions.  I could have slept through a hurricane.  I found out later it was Xanax.

About 9 months later I was prescribed four pills to take prior to a each of my venous ablations appointments in case I was nervous,  but I never took them because one, I wasn't nervous, and two I ended up having to drive myself to the appointments.  I later took two of them on separate occasions when I had insomnia because I remembered how well they knocked me out the first two times.  Still have two more in my cupboard "in case of emergency"

Edited by ThinCVT

On 9/23/2016 at 3:27 PM, MrsBrewher said:

I have been on ambien since my surgery after surgery and my weight loss I could no long fall asleep I was awake 3 nights in a row all night. I am now sleep for about 4 or 5 hours on the ambien and then I may wake up but can fall back a sleep for another hour or 2. This is the only thing i have tried that works. I am lucky I guess I do not have any of the crazy side effects some have with it. 

Edited by goingtobethinin2010