madsmits84

Vegetarian 5DPT - Or something like that..

Hi everyone, 

Disclaimer : I am in no way propagating this idea, or saying this is THE way to do it, Simply stating my experience is all. And sorry for the loooong post. 

I was hunting for the vegetarian version of the 5DPT (I eat eggs and dairy - so i guess I am an ovo-lactarian, or something like that) and while there were bits and pieces everywhere, I couldn't find a consolidated plan for vegetarians. But I had to do it anyway. I was 3 years post op (sleeve) and had gone off track. I needed to feel in control of my pouch and start losing again. My starting weight was 127 kg, came down to 85kg and now gained another 7 kg. My goal weight was 75 kg. Needless to say I had a long way to go. 

Two things I did before I did the 5DPT, I joined the gym and started logging my food on My fitness pal. Also, I read in many places that you can't have 4-6 meals, you are supposed to restrict the snacking concept. But for someone like me, who had been consistently eating 4-6 meals, the first step was the replace those with healthy. If i felt hungry, i didnt want to rush to the fridge and grab something unhealthy. So i drank , ONLY when I felt hungry. Plus, many websites talk about no veggies / fruits during the 5 dpt. For a vegetarian, it is quite tough. We are used to the crunch and the bite. So instead of depriving my body without veggies / fruit, I tried to minimize it. It was my choice. You can feel free to disagree. 

Day 1 : 

9 am : Bariatric Fusion Protein Shake (2 scoops) with Slim Milk - 287 calories. 

11:30 : Buttermilk (Yoghurt blended with water) - 98 calories. 

1 pm : Rasam (an indian lentil soup) - 1 cup -  50 calories

4 pm : Sweet corn soup - 1/2 cup - 40 calories

6 pm : Banana milkshake - slim milk and 1 banana - 200 calories. 

9 pm : Bariatric Fusion Protein Shake (2 scoops) with Slim Milk - 287 calories. 

Total Calories : 962 calories 

Note for Day 1 : Some people on some forums complained of headaches etc. I didnt have any. I made sure I drank only the limited quantity and I was good. I didnt work out on this day. I was kind of tired. I didnt feel the tightness of my pouch or anything of that sort. 

Day 2 :

11:30 : Rasam (an indian lentil soup) - 1 cup -  50 calories

1 pm : Moong Dal ( Lentil Soup ) - 1 cup - 150 calories

4 pm : Watermelon Juice - 1 cup - 142 calories

8 pm : Dried Fruit (Pistachios, Nuts, Cashews) milkshake - slim milk  - 400 calories. 

Total Calories : 1029 calories. 

Note for Day 2 : I did have a slight headache on this day. Not sure why. I didnt work out on this say either. On the pouch front, I did feel like my body was telling me to stop when it was full. I could read clear signs from it. Something I had ignored before or was too busy eating to hear. So when it said, i listened. 

Day 3 :

9 am : 2 egg white scrambled + black beans cooked and mashed + 1 tbsp mozarella cheese - 126 calories

11:30 : Homemade yoghurt - 100 g -  58 calories

1 pm : 4 egg white boiled + mashed black beans + 1 tbsp mozarella cheese - 253 calories

4 pm : Mashed boiled peanuts - 1/2 cup - 400 calories (not sure this is a good idea)

8 pm : Homemade yoghurt - 100 g - 58 calories

Total calories : 895 calories. 

Note for Day 3 : I was a tad bored with all the eggs. I couldn't find my low fat cottage cheese at the store. So ended up eating 6 eggs this day. The peanuts was a bad idea. I felt a tad overfull. No exercise today either. 

Day 4 :

7 am : Green tea - 1 calorie

11:30 : Homemade yoghurt - 100 g - 58 calories

1 pm : 2 Egg white omelette  with sauteed Vegetables + Multigrain Bread 1/2 slice - 380 calories

8 pm : Tofu sauteed with onions and bell pepper - 1 cup - 230 calories. 

Total calories: 955 calories

Exercise : 30 minutes of brisk walking and 60 minutes of power yoga. 

Note for Day 4 : My pouch was talking to me. Hell it was singing to me.. It was a really good feeling to know that I hadnt gone too far. there was hope for me. Loved today. Felt in control of my pouch and my life. 

Day 5 :

7 am : Green tea - 1 calorie

11:30 : Guava fruit - 100 g - 136 calories

1 pm : Brown rice (4 tbspn) + Dal Tadka (4 tbsp) + Chole - Chickpeas (1/2 cup) - 272 calories

4 pm : Homemade yoghurt - 100 g - 60 calories.

8 pm : Tofu sauteed with onions and bell pepper - 1 cup - 230 calories. 

Total Calories : 986 calories

Exercise : 45 mins of brisk walking and 20 mins of strength training at the gym. 

Note for Day 5 : I was ecstatic. This had gone well. It was a tad hard but I wanted to get back on track so bad that I had to pull through. 

And wednesday's are my usual weigh in.. And guess what.. I lost 1.1 kg (2.5 lbs). I was so proud of myself. So here are a few things I learnt :

1) Whatever the system may be, call it 5DPT or restart or whatever, its about getting that boost to drive you to keep making healthy choices. 

2) I drank 2 litres of water every day. I had to pee a lot, but hey, small price to pay. 

3) My pouch is working. I still have my tool and I am going to use it wisely. 

4) The thing with the choices I made in these past 5 days was that it wasnt so drastic that I can't follow similar diet for the next few months, or my life. So i would strongly differ from calling this a diet.. 

5) I finally feel confident that the 15 kg I have to lose is not so hard. I feel like I can do it. Maybe this reset thing is more about the mind as much as it is about the physical body and weight loss. 

Hope this helps..

Cheers

Mads

Thank you for sharing this log. It is a nice reminder to us all that weight loss surgery gives each of us a life-long built-in weight loss tool, we just have to eat a sensible diet in order for it to work. 

Great job losing weight. You can continue to lose weight and even reach your goal weight if you keep it up!

What a helpful post for vegetarians, etc. And congrats on the weight loss. Keep it up and let us know how your doing!

Thanks Res Ipsa and JulieW. Glad I could put this out there. I'm sure there are many vegetarians out there looking for their version of 5DPT. After all it is about the reset button right. I'm happy about the 1 kg weight loss. Hopefully, i'll get to my goal weight. 1 kg at a time..

Cheers

Mads