ThinCVT

Ready for the Chopped Kitchen

8 posts in this topic

Let's start with I don't cook.  Like ever.  I have used one cast iron pan to make omelets and steak over the last 6 months (maybe longer).  I'm all about the local deli, take out and anything microwaveable.  Well today a client gave me a huge bag of onions and garlic from their garden.  It smelled SO good in the truck driving home.  But I'm thinking, #%$ am I going to do with all these onions?  The usual thoughts of sautéing with mushrooms and steak, in salads, etc came to me, but this was a LOT of onions.  So I look in my fridge when I get home.  I see coconut milk, cheese, and Hormel bacon pieces (of which I Always keep a bag on hand), so I decide to make cheesy garlic onion bacon cream soup.  

Sautéed the onions and garlic in some butter and added the bacon.  Meanwhile, in a second pan, I heated the coconut milk, water, chicken bouillon cube, some shredded Dubliner cheese, basil and pepper.  It was then I realized I had no flour or cornstarch to thicken it (told you I don't cook)  But hey, being a good little WLS patient, I have unflavored protein powder which thickens very nicely when heated.  Worked like a charm.  Then I dumped the cream broth into the onion/bacon/garlic pan and let it simmer about 3 minutes.  OMG.... It was so freakin delicious!!!  My mom is the queen of "throw all the leftovers in a pot and make soup"...she would be so proud.:P

Very creative.

This sounds a-freakin-mazing!! I'm so ready for soup/stew weather!

Sounds so good. 

ha you sound just like me! I will buy a rotissiere chicken or a salad from the deli, the only thing I really cook is soup. Yesterday I wanted potato soup really bad but I was alone and didn't want to make a big pot of it. I'll wait until my daughter is back. You have given me new ideas for what to with it too. Thanks! 

5 hours ago, lightenupwoman said:

ha you sound just like me! I will buy a rotissiere chicken or a salad from the deli, the only thing I really cook is soup. Yesterday I wanted potato soup really bad but I was alone and didn't want to make a big pot of it. I'll wait until my daughter is back. You have given me new ideas for what to with it too. Thanks! 

Rotisserie chicken is a life saver!  My hubby travels.  I buy one on Monday, eat the breasts and wings and he has legs and thighs for Friday and Saturday.  He also likes to make soup out of the carcass...

I tried to make bone broth yesterday. I think I did it wrong, it had NO flavor. Oh well there's always a next time. 

On 1/8/2017 at 10:27 AM, lightenupwoman said:

I tried to make bone broth yesterday. I think I did it wrong, it had NO flavor. Oh well there's always a next time. 

p.s. I like your new picture!