Niajoe

Insurance issues

I'm beyond stressed. There has been so much going on with my surgery that I can't deal. Apparently, it takes exactly 14 calendar days to receive an approval from my insurance. However, the 14th day is the day of surgery. I'm not sure what to do or what to expect, it's leaving me on edge. Has anyone had experience with medicaid and approval or know if they will still proceed if the approval is the same day?

Many/most bariatric teams have an insurance expert on their staff who knows all the ins and outs of every company and every plan. My daughter is the insurance expert at Mass General Hospital in Boston. Her job is the help the patient get approved and help the hospital get the business. I'd make some inquiries if I were in your shoes. I had an easy time with the process, though not everybody does. Good luck to you!

On 9/16/2016 at 0:29 PM, Niajoe said:

I'm beyond stressed. There has been so much going on with my surgery that I can't deal. Apparently, it takes exactly 14 calendar days to receive an approval from my insurance. However, the 14th day is the day of surgery. I'm not sure what to do or what to expect, it's leaving me on edge. Has anyone had experience with medicaid and approval or know if they will still proceed if the approval is the same day?

Honestly I've not heard of a bariatric clinics scheduling surgery dates before the approval. I'm sorry you're stressed! I would be too! Good luck and let us know what happens. Call your insurance company and bug if you have to. 

When I had my surgery, I had empire/ united health care for New York State employees.My bariatric team is so large they have 3 or 4 clerks that do all the insurance stuff. Each clerk is assigned to several insurance companies. The clerks develop a relationship with the insurance program's nurses/advocates etc and get things approved quickly. I got a surgery date before approval because the clerk knew that I met the requirements and my insurance approves everyone that meets the requirements. Application date was 12/12/2013 and I was approved the next day.

best...