jackieagsten

Is the gas painful?

11 posts in this topic

Having the sleeve surgery tomorrow and am I am concern over the pain of the gas.  Other than walking any suggestions?  Also will the hospital provide gasx or something?  Thank you

Bring some strips with you just in case.  Mine wasn't very painful more annoying and uncomfortable.  

It varies. I didn't have any pain that I would characterize as gas pain, just normal pain at my incision sites and some nausea.

jackieagsten likes this

Mine was painful, but it goes away in a few days.  My program didn't give out anything for it, they prefer that people walk around to help move it along.

I had a lot of gas/bloating problems early post-op but warm drinks and plenty of walking sorted that out.

On the Gas-X strips - I would remind people not to take any medications - prescribed or otherwise while you're in hospital without asking first.  

If you're having difficulty with gas or whatever, tell a nurse/doctor.  Simethicone (the active ingredient in Gas-X) is known to interact with at least 2 drugs (20 brand and generic names).

I definitely felt the gas and it wasn't comfortable, but I wasn't in any real pain from it.  Just discomfort.  Keep moving and it will pass soon enough.

jackieagsten likes this

My surgeon makes it a point to remove all of the gas from the abdomen before closing.  I realize you can't remove every single last gas bubble, but whatever he did worked.  Neither I nor the other 4 people that had surgery the same day as me had any gas pain.  We were up walking anyways because it's good for circulation and minimizing the risk of clots.  Hopefully your surgeon will do the same.  

As for GasX strips, there's no point.   They only relieve gas that is in your GI tract.  The gas that causes pain postop is in your abdominal cavitty and usually migrates up to your shoulders.  It is not in your intestines which is where the GasX works.  Walking and time is the only way to get rid of it.  

I did experience gas and bloating afterwards, when I would eat/drink certain things.  Walking after eating and GasX strips did help with this gas because it was within my GI tract.

jackieagsten likes this

If by chance the gas settles in your chest, your first words when you wake up in recovery might just be "my chest hurts and I can't breathe".  This is an interesting way to test the response time of your recovery room team.  Except it's just gas.  Or so I hear from a friend. :D

It's been 8 days since my surgery and I am still battling the gas pain!  Gas x didn't help me any just made my tummy hurt more drinking warm water helped and walking. 

It wasn't really painful for me but it made my one shoulder feel a bit sore. I felt the gas pains in my shoulder any time I would lay down for about 4 days after surgery.

I hope your surgery went well!

jackieagsten likes this

Thanks for all your feedback.  I did not experience much gas or bloating.  Now trying to get thru the next 2 weeks.  Good luck to you all!