VicWytch

Goal met!

11 posts in this topic

I hit my 9 month surgiversary yesterday and I'm very thankful that not only did I meet my goal last week, but I surpassed it! Now I'm very worried about maintenance. I have my 9 mo appointment with my doc tomorrow, and I will ask her, but what happens if I keep losing? Will my body stop at a certain point? I'm so used to eating the healthy way, and I even already eat healthy full fats like nuts, avocado, etc., so 'adding those' into my diet has already been accomplished. Do I need to worry about this? 

Thanks for any advice,

Victorria

ThinCVT, WendyH, athenarose and 8 others like this

Congratulations on reaching your goal weight. I'll tell you what my nutritionist told me. Just keep sticking with your program, and your body will stop losing weight when it's done. Your body will find its happy place, which may be thinner than you expect. Just roll with it, and you'll be fine.

athenarose, Raeme and ikantspel like this

CONGRAAATS!!!!!!!! I hope to copy and paste this post for myself very soon!!!!!! What an amazing job you've done!!! My husband was asking me the same question a few days ago- when will you stop losing? The fact is I don't know.  I'm  worried about maintenance too.  I feel like that's the hard part.  I love losing weight and I don't want to get "too skinny". I also don't want to have regain.  

I don't know if you need to worry about anything yet.  If you feel satisfied with your results, you can up your calories.  I'm sure your program's nutritionist will be happy to help you devise a plan tomorrow.  I know there are some here who kept losing until their body stopped losing. There are others who have trouble keeping weight on and have to really focus on maintaining their weight.  I would definitely recommend talking to your bariatric team, as they know your specific situation best and can make the best suggestions.  

ikantspel likes this

So happy for you, congrats on everything you've accomplished.

Congratulations!

That is great!! How exciting

Thank you everyone! Just as @WendyH mentioned above, my doc said to just keep doing what I'm doing -- that my body will stop at some point. In fact she chastised me for slacking on the exercise area (the back to school and kids' soccer practices/games have thrown me off) and said that my body's metabolism WILL bottom out at some point and I will start gaining the weight back if I don't exercise to keep it off. That totally scared me. So I need to start small again (just as I was doing in the Spring) by doing at least 10 minutes a day--walking, biking, whatever. And increase it from there. A good reminder to keep my head in the game here.

PS: And it was nice to see an extra pound gone on her scale!!

Edited by VicWytch
bellamoma likes this

Great job!  My suggestion is that you add a few more (relatively) healthy calories back into your diet and see at what point your weight stabilizes.  From what I can tell, it appears that maintenance with a gastric bypass usually is easier that maintenance with the sleeve, as you should be able to eat a few more calories each day and still maintain your weight.  I certainly eat an amazingly normal (but healthy) diet and have no problem maintaining my weight.  Life for me is very good - I do not suffer.  :)  And I have been able to stay 5-10 pounds below my goal weight for about two years.

The key to maintenance success is vigilance.  You cannot accept any weight gain (even "just" a pound or two) over your goal weight.  Failure is not an option.  Thus, if you do find yourself over your goal weight (for example after a nice vacation :rolleyes:), then you need to immediately go back to basics with a very low calorie and high protein diet.  This should cause the weight to fall off fairly quickly.  

Weigh yourself every morning before breakfast and try to stay 5-10 pounds below your goal weight.  This will give you a nice cushion to make it much harder to go over your goal weight.  As long as you are in that 5-10 pounds range below your goal weight, you can relax a bit and enjoy your food a lot more than when you were trying to lose weight (in moderation of course and as long as it does not make your dump).  

If you go more that 10 pounds below your goal weight, then you need to (as amazing as the may sound) gain weight - which for me means adding more carbs and cheese into my diet for a few days.  Thus, maintenance really is very simple, you just want to stay 5-10 pound below your goal weight - not more, not less.

The number of calories that you can eat and maintain weight after a gastric bypass differs quite a bit from person to person.  I am lucky and maintain at well over 2,000 calories per day; other people are not so lucky (and, in general, guys can eat more calories and still maintain their weight). 

Exercise is nice for body tone and for feeling good, but it has very little to do with weight loss.  It is controlling your diet that matters.

And, of course, keep on taking your vitamins and drinking lots of no (or very low) calorie liquids.  

Once again, great job - I am impressed.

VicWytch likes this

For me, 5-10 pounds below my goal weight would be way to severe at 5 feet tall, a woman and 56 years old! A couple pounds is noticeable (at least by me) so I would figure out where you like the scale to be in accordance to what you look like and then as you lose a pound or two or even more you can judge where you should maintain at. It's all a balancing act! And congrats!

19 minutes ago, JulieW said:

For me, 5-10 pounds below my goal weight would be way to severe at 5 feet tall, a woman and 56 years old! A couple pounds is noticeable (at least by me) so I would figure out where you like the scale to be in accordance to what you look like and then as you lose a pound or two or even more you can judge where you should maintain at. It's all a balancing act! And congrats!

I think that this a very valid point.  So for a lighter person the proper weight range to try to stay in at maintenance probably is 1-5 pounds under your goal weight.

JulieW likes this

Congrats on meeting your goal!  Just keep keeping on. You'll know if you're too thin and can adjust your calories. Otherwise, you might find, as others have said, that your body stops losing on its own and you can hold steady there.