Minfit

Someone please tell me it will get BETTER!!!!!!

14 posts in this topic

Over my 52 years of life I have had many of surgeries, 11 to be exact. Pain is no stranger to me but for some reason I can not get a handle on this.  It has been 5 days since GBP, I have walked took my pain meds drank water, and broth and nothing works. I can't get rid of the gas, I am sooooooo hungry I am weak and tired. 

For some reason I thought I was going to be able to drink protein shakes and thought with all my past history with pain and surgery I had this. Not so!!! There is no relief. I am sorry if I am being a baby but I hate the fact I had WLS!! 

I called a dear friend of mine who is 2 months out from her GBP and she was no help. She told me she was so hungry she would eat watered down oatmeal, 3 days after, watered down mashed potatoes.. I don't want to cheat I want some encouragement and help!! Please someone tell me it want be much longer before I feel better.

I had horrible gas pain after a hysterectomy last year. It was so bad it reminded me of the contractions in childbirth. I tried all the stuff the nurses said to no avail so went my own way. I eventually beat it with ginger and/or peppermint. Not sure which because I was desperate enough to bombard myself with both at once. I had extra strong sugar free peppermint lozenges and peppermint teas. I also had ginger ale (probably not great in this circumstance), ginger tea and even sucked on dried ginger. It was such a relief when the gas finally went.

Minfit likes this

It gets better day by day, find something you like and stick with it. For me it was hot soup, and it still does the trick at 3.5 years out.

Minfit likes this

The first 5 days, I was a wreck, until I reached out to my bariatric team and PCP staff. They walked me through it. The goals they give you are merely targets, not necessities. Just do the best you can and it truly does get better a day at a time. Family and friends were essential for my mental health -- I could not have done it without their personal support.

Minfit likes this

Can you have strained cream soup, thinned out yogurt, I was allowed thinned coco wheats the first couple of weeks.  Those were my go to for the first couple weeks..(days 2-12).

Warm tea (peppermint especially) helped me with my gas/bloating in the early days and it's still my drink of choice.  

Minfit likes this

The others have offered good advice about the gas.  Its a nasty side effect of the surgery and will pass in time, they pump a lot in and it takes time to go away.  As for the hunger what you are feeling is probably a combination of head hunger and the acid gurgling of your new pouch, your pouch is still swollen and healing and not capable of hunger as of yet...it never returns for some of us.

Best of luck.

Minfit and tmcgee like this

There's no sugar coating it Minfit the first week SUCKED.- I regretted the surgery the first week

Head hunger, gas, pain.

The second week sucked a little less

I will tell you I felt the same kinds of 'hunger' early on, but the first time I got to have refried beans I figured I could take the can, but in truth was barely able to eat 2 small bites.

It does get better, hang in there

Minfit and tmcgee like this

thanks guys!!! I can't have anything but liquids going for my post OP check up tomorrow it will be 7 days. I pray my dr. Says I can have some soup or oatmeal that would be great. My protein has been the isolate pure drinks 40 grams per bottle and I have had no problem with water or Powerade auger free. Lots of SF popsicle so I have gotten a lot of liquid. I am looking forward to seeing how much weight I have lost, the dr. Told me not to weight so I haven't. 

Hopefully he will clear you for the next phase of "food".  It does get better, just take it day by day!  Walking helps with gas pain.  In a month or so you'll look back on this as a distant memory.  My hubby actually hid the scale so I wasn't tempted.  He got it out every other Saturday.  (Now I weigh every day).  

Make a list of concerns for your doctor.  

Minfit likes this

I will admit, the first couple of weeks were rough.  Try Gas-X strips, walk as much as you can and continue your fluids so you don't get constipated.  You're going to be feeling better in no time. I'm almost 11 months out and my life is getting better every day.  Good luck!!

Minfit likes this

I was miserable. Nauseous and feeling yucky.  Spent numerous hours researching reversals. Hated myself for doing this to myself and was truly miserable for several weeks.  It does get better and it will be okay!!!   Follow the instructions for your surgeon and soon this yucky stage will be a distant memory!!

Minfit likes this

update,  went in for my post op visit doc. Said was doing good and right on track, I asked him about my weakness and of course he said that was to be expected.  But one thing I didn't think about that he said was probably going on was my sugar dropping, I already had low sugar before surgery so he said I needed to keep an eye on it until I was eating regular.. this was on the 13th so I have been doing a lot better!! Finally the gas is gone and I had lost 12lbs in 7days I thought that was good especially since I was so swollen. I am drinking a lot more but still having problems with my protein.

Cheesehead likes this

That's great news!!

I had low blood sugar issues too, My DR advised for me too incorporate a few ounces of light grape juice into my day spread out or when I was feeling bleh

Minfit likes this