heddi

I need a crunchy food thing...help

20 posts in this topic

I'm about 11mos post-RNY, and I'm doing great. I don't feel limited on foods and do well with the 99% protein and 1% veg or whatever I eat. I live on meat, cheese, and eggs, basically and it's fine

but my gosh, I have lately been wanting something crunchy. I have bought kind-of low carb crackers to eat with cheese and deli meat, but I know they're not the best for me and am  having a heck of a time finding anything WLS-friendly that is crunchy. I'm specifically wanting something savory. I've done the baked-cheese-slices, which is fine...anything else that someone could suggest that could substitute as a cracker or a chip?

Thanks!

how about carrot chips with a high protein dip? (hummus or greek yogurt with savory seasonings)? If you have good portion control, almonds can do the trick too. Hope that helps!

Pork Rinds.  Pork Rinds all the way!   Crunchy protein with no carb.  Pork Rinds with hummus,  Pork Rinds with dips, Pork Rind nachos.   Pork Rinds!

I second the pork rinds.

but look up moon cheese. You'll thank me later ;) 

cherylm321, Stephtay and bellamoma like this

I found Parmesan crisps at SAMs club.  They were ok but my daughter loved them and sprinkled cheese on them and microwaved for nachos.  Actually had protein in them since they were made with cheese..I think a serving was 150 calories..7 grams of protein..

SlimSmitty likes this

I'm a big raw vegetable eater - celery particularly.  1 large stalk (10 - 12" long) is just 10 calories.

Besides pork rinds, I go for Health Wise Ranch Protein Chips and Quest Chips.  The Health Wise taste better than the Quest, but the Quest are easier to find.  I like the sour cream and cheddar cheese Quest, but do not care for the BBQ.  The plain quest chips make a good base substitute for nachos if I sprinkle them with cheese, beans, and salsa and throw them in the oven.  And can you eat nuts?  They are a great crunchy snack.

SlimSmitty likes this

My very favorite is smokehouse almonds.  

ThinCVT, Res Ipsa, Stephtay and 1 other like this

Dill pickles, usually Mt. Olive petite kosher dills.

Clickin, Stephtay and tmcgee like this

On 9/10/2016 at 11:30 PM, GAviv said:

I second the pork rinds.

i'm on a mission now to find moon cheese, lol!

i'm a big fan of laughing cow cheese on a Newman's Own protein pretzel, carrot chips or gluten free pretzel thins.

14 minutes ago, SlimSmitty said:

i'm on a mission now to find moon cheese, lol!

i'm a big fan of laughing cow cheese on a Newman's Own protein pretzel, carrot chips or gluten free pretzel thins.

http://www3.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=957 

On 9/10/2016 at 9:30 PM, GAviv said:

I second the pork rinds.

OMG, these moon cheese things look awesome!!!

GAviv likes this

On 9/12/2016 at 2:14 PM, WendyH said:

Dill pickles, usually Mt. Olive petite kosher dills.

I'm with you on the pickles, but just ordered some moon cheese, I'll try anything at least once.  ;)

Stephtay likes this

I had the moon cheese but I thought they were pretty salty and don't eat them anymore. I guess it is a matter of taste.

You can buy a can of chick peas (garbanzo beans) and roast them in your oven with a hint of olive oil and whatever seasonings you like. There's a ton of recipes out there...

I also make kale chips about once a week. (The same principle as the chick peas) they are crunchy and addicting! 

vsgguy and Stephtay like this

I see Moon Cheese at Starbucks. I was in one yesterday and bought every bag they had. (Which was only 9 bags.) :)

GAviv likes this

My wife and I bought the quest protein chips tonight. I tried the BBQ ones they were pretty good.