Forgetmenot220

Panniculectomy done 8/29!!

Hi guys!! :)

I had a panniculectomy with more skin removal on my upper abdomen (upside down T on me now, lol), on 8/29. It's been rough!!! I've been able to cut back on pain meds starting today, finally, can sit up longer, and I think I could even shower daily if I wanted but I'll stick to every other. My binder is causing a painful sore however. :( it's on my right side nowhere near an incision so that's good at least. I'm quite tired of these darn drains but they don't come out until 9/13 (as long as my surgeon is pleased with my recorded output). He took off 8.4 lbs so that means I'm ~2 lbs from my ultimate, crazy @*#, dream goal of 160. Half my body weight, gone (at 160). :D

I'll be anxious to hit the gym when able, I have no idea when that is. 

Does anyone have any tips for relieving the rubbing of the binder on this sore??? I'm going to call the doctor's office on Tuesday but I could use some tips until then. The paperwork said I can switch to a different garment at some point but I'm thinking it's too soon. ><

I hope you all are well, I'm so excited that this next step took place, even covered 100% by insurance!!!! 

Congrats

Congratulations on your panniculectomy Jenny!

I haven't had plastic surgery but I did wear a binder after an open abdominal surgery and a nurse suggested a 100% cotton tank top because of the sweating issues and rubbing.

Another suggestion is to use cotton gauze pads.  Walmart has them in various sizes and if necessary, you can use some surgical tape to keep it in place.

Thanks!!! I've tried the tank top like you said, HUGE help. My 2 week post op is tomorrow, they ended up pulling the worst drain (nothing was coming from it anyways) and trimming my binder (they trimmed it TOO SHORT, I can't win, lol), and tidying up my incisions this past Friday. I'm so relieved that the one drain is gone. Ahhh. I'll be there with bells on tomorrow for the other one though! I was told to start spending time out of the binder so I'm doing that and have bought a Spanx top to replace it (was told it would be more comfortable to wear after the last drain comes out). 

Hoping I can sleep in my own bed on Wednesday.....ive been on the couch in this little nest my husband made me, lol. It's comfy, kinda, but I miss my bed. :(

On 9/12/2016 at 9:09 AM, Forgetmenot220 said:

Thanks!!! I've tried the tank top like you said, HUGE help. My 2 week post op is tomorrow, they ended up pulling the worst drain (nothing was coming from it anyways) and trimming my binder (they trimmed it TOO SHORT, I can't win, lol), and tidying up my incisions this past Friday. I'm so relieved that the one drain is gone. Ahhh. I'll be there with bells on tomorrow for the other one though! I was told to start spending time out of the binder so I'm doing that and have bought a Spanx top to replace it (was told it would be more comfortable to wear after the last drain comes out). 

Hoping I can sleep in my own bed on Wednesday.....ive been on the couch in this little nest my husband made me, lol. It's comfy, kinda, but I miss my bed. :(

My two cents is get a new binder. Spanx aren't tight enough to get everything to heal down the way you want. After my TT I ordered a 2nd binder from Amazon so I always had a clean one. Congratulations on your surgery!

Also, for what its worth, my dr. told me to wear my binder 24/7 unless I was in the shower for 6 weeks. I ended up wearing it longer just because it felt safer and I really wanted everything to heal down.

19 hours ago, Stephtay said:

My two cents is get a new binder. Spanx aren't tight enough to get everything to heal down the way you want. After my TT I ordered a 2nd binder from Amazon so I always had a clean one. Congratulations on your surgery!

Also, for what its worth, my dr. told me to wear my binder 24/7 unless I was in the shower for 6 weeks. I ended up wearing it longer just because it felt safer and I really wanted everything to heal down.

What specific binder did you wear?

Congrats!!!

4 hours ago, Raeme said:

What specific binder did you wear?

Both of mine were by Dale:  https://www.amazon.com/BINDER-ABDOMINAL-PANEL-WIDE-30-45/dp/B009627862/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1473872126&sr=8-7&keywords=dale+abdominal+binder&refinements=p_89%3ADale|Dale+Medical

I'm tall for a woman so I liked the four panel. It came up right under my breasts and down below my hips. The three panel was a little too short for me. After I got used to it, I like wearing it. Held everything in place and offered some protection if I bumped into anything. And, you can't detect it below your clothes. 

I'm still on my binder given to me at the hospital, kinda got used to it after they trimmed it to 3 panels. They pulled my other drain at my two week follow up (my gods it was long, uuuugh) and I was told to wear my binder religiously for ten days because if I have fluid build up, they'll put the drain back in.

I'm a little swollen today, I've done too much the past couple of days. :/ so paranoid about fluid build up, lol. There is a little weirdness at my "t" intersection so they have me putting OTC antibiotic ointment on it but I'm not sure it's getting any better. We'll see. I'll call if need be. I guess it's normal since all the fluids rush to that area and lots of pressure is put there. 

I don't know if this makes sense for abdominal surgery, but when I had brachioplasty my surgeon prescribed lymphatic drainage massage. It really helped with the fluid buildup. I went back on my own toward the end of my twin pregnancy when I was retaining extra fluid, and it helped then too. Practitioners serve mostly lymphedema patients. If you're interested, find a massage therapist who is certified in the Vodder technique.

13 hours ago, Forgetmenot220 said:

I'm still on my binder given to me at the hospital, kinda got used to it after they trimmed it to 3 panels. They pulled my other drain at my two week follow up (my gods it was long, uuuugh) and I was told to wear my binder religiously for ten days because if I have fluid build up, they'll put the drain back in.

I'm a little swollen today, I've done too much the past couple of days. :/ so paranoid about fluid build up, lol. There is a little weirdness at my "t" intersection so they have me putting OTC antibiotic ointment on it but I'm not sure it's getting any better. We'll see. I'll call if need be. I guess it's normal since all the fluids rush to that area and lots of pressure is put there. 

Sounds like you are keeping an eye on it, which is good. I had a little spot on my TT incision that looked odd about two weeks out. It was one of my internal staples that should have dissolved but didn't and was trying to work its way out. I took a pic, texted the dr and he told me I could remove it. So I did. (Probably sounds worse than it was.) I knew something was up as this one tiny spot wasn't healing quite like the rest until the staple came out. 

Yes, amazing how long those drains are. I think I measured mine was 18" or something like that! 

I've heard about the lymphatic massage but the nurse only mentioned scar massage once things had turned to scars versus incisions. One side of my hip-to-hip is looking really good!!! 

I did a really decent homework marathon tonight and my abdomen is killing me!! I wonder if it's more the muscles not being used to sitting up like that plus the binder rubbing a bit. It happened when we had dinner with friends on Sunday, too! I was like owwwwww. Today it feels more muscular. I better get my @*# going, I go back to work on Monday and my job is sitting from 8-4:30 with lunch and a couple breaks thrown in. I can stand up to stretch, use the bathroom, refill water, etc., but not to lay down until lunch IF someone isn't using the room I'd use in the clinic. Ahhh!!