bellamoma

The Feels, and Not in a Good Way

12 posts in this topic

I'm in a bit of another stall, where my weight bounces around within 3 lb but doesn't really move.  This happened when I was in the 150s as well.  I've also felt really hungry the past few days when for a good while I've had very little hunger.  I drink lots of water and sometimes will have a diet hot chocolate to keep from eating off plan.  So there's that. 

I started to wonder if I'm at goal. I know i'm 142, but I'm in a size 4 or 6 bottoms and xs, s or m in tops, depending on the brand.  So although I continue to stay on plan, I have started to wonder if this is the end of active losing for me.  Which is fine, I guess, but that's where the feels have come in.  I've really enjoyed watching the numbers on the scale go down. There is a bit of a rush that comes along with it.  And buying new clothes in small sizes is the best.  I even totally zipped up that (ridiculously vanity sized) size 2 pencil skirt from my stepdaughter.  

I started to think, so, is this it? I'm done? now what? what's going to give me that rush? what if this new hunger i have makes it really really hard to maintain?  I'm so scared of regain. Have any of you guys experienced this? What keeps you going day in and day out, when the thrill of a downward moving scale needle is gone? 

LeeC likes this

It is an amazing feeling of accomplishment to lose weight month after month after weight loss surgery, and thereby to transform yourself into a healthy, active and thin (or at least much thinner) person.  

I can assure you that the feeling of maintaining yourself at your goal weight month after month is also very wonderful.

Whether you are currently at your goal weight or not is up to you.  Look in the mirror and at photos.  Ask your PCP, spouse/significant other, and/or best friends if you should lose any more weight or stay where you are.  If you are in a stall and near to your goal weight, the best way to lose the lat few pounds is to tighten up your diet a little and stick to a lower calorie (but still high in lean protein) diet with lots of no-calorie liquids.

The key thing to remember is that once you are at your goal weight, that you have to work every day to maintain at that weight.  Some people lose a lot of weight and get to their goal weight, and then relax and before they know it they have regained weight (just two pounds of regain per week can really add up over time).  I find that I have to weigh myself every morning now to make sure that I do not regain weight.  My mantra for maintenance is simple - I will not go above my goal weight and failure is not an option.

In any case, congratulations on your amazing weight loss - you should be very proud of yourself! :)

bellamoma, cinwa and LeeC like this

bellamoma,

I think you've done an amazing job.  But if you want to have a push and drop a few more pounds, you could try the 5-DPT

Res Ipsa and bellamoma like this

Thanks guys. Your input and encouragement means a lot to me. It's tough to go by family and husband- they were asking me if I really needed to lose any more at 155! My husband said it's enough already.  I personally would like to reach my original goal or lower, even (like, 130) and have a buffer zone for times when I relax a little (like a vacation). 

I, too, weigh myself daily, Res.  It keeps me on track and mindful of what I'm doing.  I record it every day. The great thing about that is when I'm feeling like I'm not losing any more, I look at the previous week or month's weight, and it always shows that I am indeed still losing.  It's a reality check that I need.  I will also use your strategy when I have decided I am at goal. 

Cinwa, maybe I will take you up on your advice. a final push to get me down.  Hmm. 

Res Ipsa likes this

Something to remember the last few months weightloss will taper off drastically.  Early out we had huge chunks of weight to lose at the end it only a few pounds.  

I weigh everyday.  I still have too much fun shopping; but I feel I'm making up for lost time;).  Most days I feel normal; it took me a long time to get there.  I still have panic attacks when we are gone on vacation or a long weekend-thinking I've regained a large chunk.  

My hubby was conserned that I was becoming anorexic at the end but he has adjusted.

bellamoma likes this

Trust me, you don't want to go much lower than a 2 or 4!  2 and 0s are hard to find in some stores..I wear a 27 in silver brand, a 1-2 in Maurice's and a 4 in targets brand.  I have big shoulders and usually wear medium tops; I don't like anything tight (I think part of that is if it's tight my brain tells me I'm gaining weight and the other part is no one needs to see my lumps and bumps).  

What weight puts you in a normal bmi?  

bellamoma and monikers like this

I hear you, cheese head! The vanity sizing is ridiculous. I will say, I have always "weighed heavy". I look pretty small even though my weight is 142. 

I think 138 or 39 puts me at a healthy bmi. I'm not a fan of BMIs bc I think it's an overly simplistic calculation that doesn't take into account a person's ethnicity and other factors that can affect the calculation. I just did a continuing education on Bariatric surgery, and they have finally (FINALLY) recognized that Asians generally have lighter bones and muscles, so their BMI threshold should be 2 points lower than others. I always rant about BMIs. Sorry :wacko:

tmcgee and Northchild like this

I don't worry about BMI, it's just a number. Like your goal weight, your surgeon has one number so he can put you in his success column, your psychologist will prolly have another target, and your own goal may be quite different.

I'm happy where I am, even though I hover between 200 and 210. My target remains at 199, but if I never get there that's okay too. I'm still down 155 pounds!

bellamoma and LeeC like this

On 9/3/2016 at 7:46 PM, bellamoma said:

I started to think, so, is this it? I'm done? now what? what's going to give me that rush?

I think for me it will be how far I can push my new body physically.  I dream of a day I can jog for more than 30 seconds at a time, or hike up hill without having to stop constantly. So that will be my new rush once I am out of my honeymoon period, 

We're the same height and started at same weight, I was 217 before the pre-op diet.

LeeC and bellamoma like this

babykinz, you are a genius! I've been thinking about starting to set new exercise goals, and like you said, seeing how far I can push my new body.  But i don't know- reading your post made something click! thank you!!! 

we do have the same stats! i would say i've had a pretty good run so far. it's only been the past few weeks where i've been struggling and feeling weird. like the end of an era. i don't know how to put it into words.  i hope for smooth sailing for you. Your surgery date is right around the corner! yay! 

On September 3, 2016 at 7:46 PM, bellamoma said:

I'm in a bit of another stall, where my weight bounces around within 3 lb but doesn't really move.  This happened when I was in the 150s as well.  I've also felt really hungry the past few days when for a good while I've had very little hunger.  I drink lots of water and sometimes will have a diet hot chocolate to keep from eating off plan.  So there's that. 

I started to wonder if I'm at goal. I know i'm 142, but I'm in a size 4 or 6 bottoms and xs, s or m in tops, depending on the brand.  So although I continue to stay on plan, I have started to wonder if this is the end of active losing for me.  Which is fine, I guess, but that's where the feels have come in.  I've really enjoyed watching the numbers on the scale go down. There is a bit of a rush that comes along with it.  And buying new clothes in small sizes is the best.  I even totally zipped up that (ridiculously vanity sized) size 2 pencil skirt from my stepdaughter.  

I started to think, so, is this it? I'm done? now what? what's going to give me that rush? what if this new hunger i have makes it really really hard to maintain?  I'm so scared of regain. Have any of you guys experienced this? What keeps you going day in and day out, when the thrill of a downward moving scale needle is gone? 

I could've written this post last year.  I felt all of these things. It's been a year and my weight fluctuates between 138/139-142/143. When it hits 143, I buckle down the hatchets. All protein and protein shakes until I'm back down. I have that same satisfaction watching the scale go down and I love when that 4 changes to a 3.  But, I also now enjoy a sense of control when I see the scales hold relatively steady. I'd like to be able to tell you that I feel confident in long-term success but I'm not there. I still have dreams of waking up and being obese again.  I can't foresee ever not watching the scales daily.

Good luck in maintenance.  You've got this. 

bellamoma likes this

thank you so much for your post, dunndeal. i love your outfit of the day posts and know you look amazing.  thank you for the encouragement, and for letting me know you've been through the same.  it means a whole lot to me!