tracyringo

Help did my 6 months but didnt lose the 20lbs

My doctor required me to lose 20lbs in the 6months before he would send me over to a surgeon....Ugh Its been like a yoyo up and down..I got down to 288 my last visit and now am back up to 294.....Yesterday I started a liquid diet in the hopes I can get down to the 20 lbs by the end of this month...2  years ago I had db hip replacements...I have severe arthritis and lumbar stenosis which causes awful leg pain when I walk...I am reaching out because I really need help...Thanks

Welcome to Thinner Times Tracy.

Sorry that you're struggling with yo yo dieting.  That seems to be a pretty common issue and I hold my hand up to a 35+ year history of doing that pre-WLS.

I'm all in favour of doing a liquid diet to kick start your weight loss but I wouldn't do it for more than 3 or 4 days because it isn't sustainable.

Detox with a few days of liquids but then start a sensible eating plan of protein, non-starchy vegetables and limited amount of fruit and up your calorie free liquids as much as you can.   

Tracy, looking at your profile you have ?? Next to surgeon. Have you researched the bariatric programs in your area? My program did not require my PCP to refer me. They requested my chart notes from my PCP. My PCP was not WLS friendly. In his skinny little mind obesity is easily cured with organic veggies and free range chicken :huh:

It would be a shame to waste 6 months on him to get to a program that requires another 6 mo program that is overseen by their staff!!  My advice is to start called bariatric programs. 

I agree with Clickin- your insurance and your surgeon of choice may not require any of this weight loss stuff. If you have an HMO, yes, you may need a referral, but your PCP shouldn't hold out on your like that.  Their personal feelings about WLS don't really matter.  If you do have an HMO that requires a referral, I would suggest finding a bariatric surgeon that accepts your HMO, and then ask them which PCP do they get the most referrals from.  Once you have that person's name, you can switch your PCP to the bariatric-friendly one, and get the ball rolling so much faster. 

I'm so grateful I didn't have to lose any weight or be on any sort of 6 month supervised diet or whatever.  I don't understand the logic behind that, and my jaded side thinks it's probably just the insurance company's way of frustrating a person and hope they give up. 

I wish you the best of luck! Don't give up, it's worth fighting for, and your health is worth it. 

I have medicare .....I signed up for the seminar the 19th......

Edited by tracyringo

Have you tried the Atkins diet? I lost weight really quickly on this. Plus the food is amazing and I didn't feel deprived. It's wonderful to be able to eat all the meat, eggs, cheese, fat, etc that you want. I lost at least 25 pounds in a month. I also lost weight even faster on the HCG shots. Of course when I came off of both, I gained all the weight back. But they definitely worked for fast short term weight loss. 

My Preop consisted of 3 protein shakes/day plus unlimited leafy greens.  I also drank water on top of the shakes to bring my fluid intake to 120oz/day.  I lost 22 pounds in 16 days.  You might give it a shot.