LivinthedreamgulfsideFL

VBG to bypass revision no results

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I had a vertical banded gastroplasty in 1993 went from 330 down to about 140 lbs...... Many years later and a back injury, poor food choices, a failed spinal fusion and then several caudal injections every three months for two years ( to ease the back pain the steroids also helped me regain about 50 lbs). In August of 2015 I had a revision to a gastric bypass, the surgeon said he had to remove most of my stomach due to scarring from the previous surgery......I just had my year surgiversary and I am sooooooo frustrated..... I've only been able to take and keep off about 15 total pounds....I know our bodies lose slower with a revision but this is just crazy... I barely take in 1000 calories a day.... If there is anything I can say I know I'm doing wrong is I know I need to drink more water....but that can't be the reason I'm stuck like this... My question is this, has anyone else had these issues? Or am I the only one?

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

What are you eating? 

Calories are less important than how much of your diet is protein and carbs?

Have you discussed this with your surgeon or dietician?

Not enough info to give you specific help.

I was revised from a sleeve to a bypass in April. In total - I've lost about 30 lbs in 4 months,  about 20 of it came off in April/early May. It's definitely a much slower process this round. I've also been at about 800 cals/days, ( approx - 60g protein, under 40g carbs and under 20g fat/day) I've also ramped up my exercise - but it's still very slow. 

I don't have an 'answer' for you - but an "I'm in this with you!" Stay positive!

I definitely agree that looking at macros will help, the balance of protein & carbs is important as is the balance between calories in and calories burned.  

@chrissyrode How many calories are you burning a day in exercise?  Its possible you are exercising too much for your caloric intake and as a result your body is holding on tot he weight it has.  Strange I know, but its a real issue.

chrissyrode and ThinCVT like this

Congrats on your success with the band...sorry you've had so many troubles since then.  I've had a spinal fusion as well, but fortunately mine took.

But Yes, water does make a difference when it comes to weight loss.  The biochemical process of burning fat requires water.  Everyone talks about the magic number of 64oz, but more recent studies suggest that you should be drinking 1/2 of your body weight in ounces in order to lose weight....even more if you are working out.  These are guidelines for everyone, not just WLS patients, So if you weigh 200 pounds, you should be drinking 100oz.  I struggled with even the 64oz for the first few months, but have been getting more like 100-120oz most days for almost 2 years.  I made it a priority in those early months, no different than a prescribed medication.  Now it's just habit.

Just curious what your 1000 calories consist of.....total protein/carbs?  Besides the water drinking, keeping my protein intake near 80g helps me keep my weight off.

Edited by ThinCVT

Thank you all for the replies!!! I try to keep my protein at least 60 to 70 a day and carbs under 40 to 50...,that's what my NUT told me to concentrate on...... I haven't been able to go to the gym for serious exercise for the last 3 to 4 months due to the back issues but I walk like a madwoman.... I'm an administrator of an assisted living facility and I get way over 10,000 steps a day just in the 10 hours I am there working....I'm very hands with the residents and staff so its difficult to keep me tied down to a desk, with the first surgery that's what I did mainly was walk and the weight just seemed to melt off. This entire thing even has my endocrinologist baffled, he said try some phentermine ( thinking I was actually eating too much) so I said ok doc I will try anything at this point.... 3 months later still no weight loss.....baffling to me......I'm beginning to think something else is going on inside there that is preventing me from losing the weight

Walking is a great form of exercise, for every mile you walk you burn around 100 calories.  So if you getting in 10k steps and lets say that equates to 5 miles, you're burning 500 calories a day.  Using a Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) calculator your body is burning around 1500 calories a day just existing now add 500 more calories to that and you're burning 2000 calories a day while only taking in less than 1000.  With that math its possible that you're taking in too few calories.

Again, this is supposition on my part and its possible the BMR calculation is off; but even if it is off by 500 calories you are burning 1500 calories vs the less than 1000 you're taking in.  My suggestion would be to try moderately (very moderately) increasing calories; for example, making sure you get over a 1000, or ensuring you hit at least 1000 a day and see what happens.  You could be low by just enough to cause your body to hold on to what it has, a moderate increase can mean all the difference.

But remember, if you try this, do it gradually and increase calories modestly, don't go crazy

Best of luck, we're rooting for you.

@PapaG  - it depends on the day's workout. I train once a week with a personal trainer. We work on functional mobility and strength training. Those days are in the high 6-700's. Otherwise, I shoot for a weekly goal of 4 workouts in addition to the training session. I sometimes take a 'water jogging against the current' class at the local YMCA, or swim laps, while other days my trainer has me focusing on intense muscle conditioning. Story short; some days are 250-300, while others are 700+. I asked my NUT about the calories. Myfitnesspal is always prompting me to eat more calories. The dietitian said not to add those cals back in for the day, that I don't need them.  BUT, I think there's truth to not eating enough. I think my body hangs onto every last morsel. Granted, I don't FEEL hungry, but my body needs the nourishment. The scale hovers right at 250 - and my weight loss has been stagnant for about a month. You'd think with the negative calories/day it would move...

My trainer has a whole different perspective - she agrees that I need to add some back in, especially on days with training and HIIT workouts. Her suggestions are healthy fats; avocados/guac, hummus, nuts & seeds, pb2 in shakes, etc. Yes, she shares a focus on protein -- but thinks that the concentrated cals in healthy fats could give me some leverage, without taking up a ton of space in my pouch. It's hard to know what's the best to do because the two couldn't be more different in their approaches. 

I feel like I have to 'play' with it - and see what really makes my body work its best. 

On September 1, 2016 at 10:30 AM, chrissyrode said:

I feel like I have to 'play' with it - and see what really makes my body work its best. 

I think this is the key.  There is no one size fits all when it comes to nutrition and weight loss.  Try something new and give it at least a month to kick in.  Not all effects and results are immediate.  Some successful plans may actually cause weight gain initially.  It's definitely frustrating.

(But I've gotta tend to agree with your trainer.  She's "in the trenches" and sees first hand how nutrition effects workouts while most nuts seem to spout out textbook answers and have no real practical experience)

and I'm assuming, since you gave an endocrinologist, that bloodwork, including vitamin/mineral assays and hormones levels ( including thyroid, estrogen, testosterone) have all been checked.