sliesnake

Burning muscle into Fuel?

I have lowered my daily calories to 700-800 calories a day give or take.  I am doing about 90 minutes of intense cardio and weight lifting almost every day.

I have seen a drop in weight, but it appears to be slowing.

I understand that muscle weighs more than fat.  I have spoken to 2 people at my gym and they think it's because I was burning muscle and not fat.  Now these 2 people do not understand our weight loss.  Frankly, I was concerned early on after my surgery, that the severe loss of nutrition would have a detrimental effect on my health.  It has not.

So I was wondering if any else knows more about this subject or has experienced the same thing?

burning muscle for fuel is never good. Muscles are what keep us going. The heart is a muscle and can be damaged if the body is not getting the fuel it needs. 700 to 800 calories sounds kind of low but what are you eating? How much protein, carbs, etc.?

you may be experiencing detrimental effects and not know it.

I encourage you to give us more info.

best...

It can't be as bad as the first year after surgery.  I have the energy to do the exercises, but since it's at an intense level, my body needs fuel.

I'd want more calories for that level of output--especially some carbs to re-fuel. If you're weight training you want to make sure your body has enough protein in your system to repair muscle tissue and enough carbs and fats so you don't metabolize muscle mass for fuel.

If your calorie intake is too low, your body may lower your resting metabolism to compensate so you burn fewer calories when you're not actively exercising. If I'm working out hard (heavy sweating) I'd want at least 2000 calories per day.

For comparison, an athletic person who's training hard training can easily take 4000 calories just to keep going, and often much higher.

Having been corrected on this issue - muscle is more dense than fat but take up less space than fat,  but 16oz is 16oz whether it be muscle or fat. 

My weight loss is rather slow now.  So I do not think I am losing muscle.  At this point I have to focus on slightly increasing my weight loss.  As for my nutrition, I do need more protein.  I am focusing on much less carbs than I have done in the past.