Little bird

Julyers updates

95 posts in this topic

Good Saturday afternoon all! The other threads were getting soooo long, so I thought I would start a new thread:) 

im 3 1/2 weeks out now, walking a lot! I have lost 34 pounds now. Still on purée until 8/24. I have an appointment with my Nut on Monday .. Looking forward to the next stage!! 

susan25, nimiety, Nutin2it and 4 others like this

I'm down 24lbs, had to give some clothes away yesterday and was so nice to have done that than to store them, just in case! I'm on a regular diet, I just am careful with raw vegetables still and am finding that I do better with 3 meals a day, minimal snacking but I don't deprive because 2-3 bites is all I need... I love V8 so I drink about 1 every day and a protein shake usually every morning. I seem to only get in about half the water I am suppose to but I almost always have a low cal/carb/sugar drink in my hand so I'm not worried about that. Still wearing the dogs out, right now I have schin splints so just trying to work the soreness out today! I'm 6 wks post op today, feel back to normal, energy levels are great and ready to start doing some 3-5 lb weights now with my workouts! Brought My caloric intake up to be in the 700-900 range, Think I finally broke my stall this week, yay! Will schedule an appt. for f/u at the 3 month wk. with my primary, am feeling pretty good about my vitamin and protein intake so no worries.

Edited by Nutin2it
Murk, nimiety, susan25 and 1 other like this

Glad to hear you're both doing well!

I'll be four weeks post-op on Thursday. As of today, I'm down a bit more than 25 pounds since surgery (I weigh daily, but only update the weight in my profile here on Thursdays). I've introduced soft foods and am struggling to get enough protein in from food—think I'm going to need to go back to at least one protein shake a day, which my program's packet says is fine. Slowly getting back to normal day-to-day operations by way of work, etc. I'm walking a bit and looking forward to going back to what for me will be light lifting, but my surgeon said I had to wait 8 weeks to lift anything over 100 pounds, and it's not much fun to just overhead press. ;)

I see my surgeon in less than a week for a follow-up, and I'm looking forward to having a chance to ask him a few questions, but honestly, I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm at right now—just taking it one day at a time, doing my best, and trying not to let the scale run the show over here, although I'd certainly love to be down 30 at the month-after appointment. My surgeon has been very sanguine with me about long-term success rates, which I appreciate and find to be a helpful reminder that it's really, ultimately, down to what I do as I get further out from surgery. My goal weight is higher than many, and it's actually my goal, but it's still good to have a reminder that even that higher goal requires steady, concerted effort to achieve and maintain. I'm trying to be aggressive and proactive about the "head" stuff, and have a wonderful mental health team experienced in both bariatrics and eating disorders.

I need to find a good multivitamin with iron (NOT a chewable, which I'm very glad to be done with), and if anyone has recommendations, I'd appreciate it. 

Little bird, susan25, Murk and 1 other like this

Yeah, I also would like to hear if anyone has found one. I bought some chewables from Walgreens but when I compare them to the bariatric vitamin patches I was on the first month they fail pitifully lol, plus I after taking it for a few days I would rather take a pill than a chewable. Anyhoo, I did find and order a bottle of something called nutritional yeast flakes by red star on Amazon. It's got 8g of protein in 1 1/2 tablespoons and I put some in my deer stew last night, has a cheesy kind of taste though I think it was a little overwhelming for the small cup of soup I had but it's all trial and error right now. Probably could add more to other type of dishes like meatloaf. it was 6-8 bucks for a big shaker full! Seen it on that show "The Doctors".

Little bird, susan25, Murk and 1 other like this

I'm down 28 pounds since surgery!  Doing great. I'm able to eat just about anything I want (within reason and on my plan).  I'm also already down 2 pant sizes.  I had to go to shopping since all of my current jeans were WAY WAY too big.  I've gone down from a 42 to a 38.  I also have my 6 week followup appt on Thursday.  I'm hoping I'll get all the clearances to start more exercise.  

Since we all have to have goals, I decided to set a longer term goal for myself.  I want to get back into competing in triathlons, so I set my "comeback" race to be IRONMAN 70.3 CHATTANOOGA in 2018.  I'm going to spend the next year (spring/summer of 2017) training and competing in smaller sprint triathlons and 5K/10K races.

Edited by kzoojason76
susan25, Murk, Cheesehead and 2 others like this

I haven't posted an update in awhile but I stop by frequently to read. I'm down "only" 20 lbs after 6 weeks. I know everyone loses differently and I guess someone in the group has to be the slowest loser so I guess that's me.

I walk a mile every night and have fallen into the routine of eating 1/2 to 1 cup at meals depending on if it's soup or dense protein. I can eat more than I thought I'd be able to at this point, but it still isn't much. My pants are all loose on me and I can finally see a difference. People at work have remarked my face looks thinner or that I look pale. I haven't told any of them I had a VSG - they all think it was surgery on lady parts. Because of that, I'm glad I'm losing slower. I can avoid any of the curious comments that go along with rapid weight loss. I can probably fit in new pants size already but I'm enjoying loose clothes for a change instead of painfully tight.

In addition to being down 20 lbs, I'm down a total of 36 lbs from my highest weight. I was self-pay and was perfectly healthy, only I was fat and the only issue I was having was with really bad knee pain. It is totally amazing how much that has improved now.

So far, it was all worth it with the exception of two things: One, I have to take Actigall(for 6 months) to prevent gallstones and it's causing really bad diarrhea - urgent and unexpected along with some slight hair loss. The other is some slight acid reflux depending what I eat and when I eat. It only happens occasionally but it scares me that it might get worse and I'll have to get a revision. My insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery and I sure can't afford it a second time.

I'm hoping things will all improve from here, not get worse though.

Nutin2it, susan25 and Purple*Bear like this

Murk, it sounds like you are doing great! I was talking to my daughter the other day about my long stall as well and she was like "mom, don't you know you've lost x many lbs of butter?!" Lol apparently every lb equals 4 sticks of butter! So Murk, you have lost 80 sticks of butter, woohoo celebrate! Also loosing slow but steady hopefully means less loose skin as well:)

Edited by Nutin2it
Little bird, Murk and susan25 like this

Murk, thanks for updating us! I really empathize with the "perfectly healthy except" thing—that's me too (except think endocrine stuff instead of knees). The number of medical professionals in the hospital who told me "Well, you're young and healthy, so—" would have made me want to scream if I'd had more energy. Anyway, the point is that I think for those of us who are coming from that situation, any setback can feel catastrophic, like, I traded a perfectly normal life for this nonsense?! But when I get those feelings, I'm trying to remind myself that this short a time out from surgery I'm still physically recovering, and that affects emotions as well as everything else. Not making any decisions until things have settled. ;) 

Best of luck with the reflux—I'm crossing my fingers for you that it gets better and not worse.

Murk, Purple*Bear, susan25 and 1 other like this

Hello everyone glad everyone doing good. Had my 6 week post op today. I am down 26lbs since surgery and 46 total with pre op. I gained a pound from yesterday but thats ok. Did lab work few weeks ago.  And for 8yrs i was always low on my Vit D. Today I am good on my D level. The only thing now is I am low on my Vit A. So gotta take Vit A for month. Hopefully that wil be back to normal. Also im no longet pre diabetic. And my blood pressure still is normal. I only lost 5lbs since the last time i was there. Which was 2 weeks ago. So my nut only wants me to eat protien and vegies for now. To stay away from potato and fruit. I've been eating lots of fruit and potato.  I eat fruit every day. And she said that will slow my progress. So changing my eating habits. I can now have chicken, salad, raw veggies, tuna, thicker fish, almonds, peanut butter,  and protien bars. Protien bars only if I'm out and about and havent eaten anything.  She said im doing good on my walking and im now doing physical therapy 2x a week for an hr. Still no heavy lifting or strenuous exercise.  Can only lift 20lbs. I feel good. Im down to size 18 pants from size 22. I can fit into a 16 but dont zip up. Im in a xl shirt which is loose already. From a 3x. My energy level really good. I get all my protien in and fluid some days i do and sometimes i dont. But getting there. Thats it for now. Ttyl. 

Nutin2it, Murk, susan25 and 1 other like this

I'm one month out today. Down 27.8 lbs since surgery, and yes—it's been pretty stagnant the last week or so. Not totally flat, but up and down and up and down. O infamous three-week stall, I curse you.

I see my surgeon for my first follow-up visit tomorrow. I want him to be psyched about my progress and where I'm at, and also I want him to tell me it's okay to take baths! Priorities. ;)

Little bird, Murk, Nutin2it and 1 other like this

Wow - I am very impressed with this group.  You are all doing great.  Remember how great it feels to be lighter, to fit into smaller clothes, to get complements from your friends/family, and to be able to be more and more active as the pounds fall off.  Use this as continued motivation throughout your honeymoon period over the next few months to keep on losing on your way to your goal weight.  As you can eat and drink more and more foods, be careful to stay on your diet plan and avoid snacking, slider foods and high calorie liquids.  Your weight loss rate per month may go down, but remember that any month with a significant weight loss is a good month.  You all can of it!  

Little bird, susan25, Murk and 3 others like this

Thank you Res so much. :D

susan25 and Little bird like this

I'm happy that we're all healing, loosing and getting more active! I'm down 35 pounds ( total- pre and post op ). 8 pounds was pre - op.  Yesterday I walked 2.5 miles and today went swimming for the first time! Did laps, jogging in place and stretches. Felt so good. My clothes are getting bigger and I'm able to get my protein & water in. 

Purple*Bear, susan25 and Nutin2it like this

Hi Everybody,

So happy to read that everyone is doing well!!!!  I started my 5th week today.  I put on some white capris that I have not worn in forever and they are a bit too big.  These will not be around by next Spring.  I am putting the into the Goodwill bag.  This is such a great feeling :)

Back from my post-op visit. Weighed in at 301 on my surgeon's scale, which means...down 30 plus a bit since surgery. Damn. (Also, though, the hospital scales have consistently weighed me a couple-few pounds lighter than my home scale.) He also said—and this may be interesting to those of us entering the second month—that the second and third months are where the body has depleted fluids and stored glycogen and is really getting down to fat-burning business. He also said that for that reason, he really encourages people to be doing LOAD-BEARING exercise by the end of month 2 in order to preserve the metabolic, general wellness, and aesthetic advantages of muscle mass. My powerlifting background is going to serve me well on that, although I am *already* kind of freaking about muscle loss. My program says no loads above 100 lbs until 8 weeks, but maybe I'll get back to the gym for some super-light work at week 6 to make myself feel better and work on retraining the movement patterns. He said he tells people "If you do nothing else, no other exercise, never want to go to a gym again, lift weights months three through six." I knew I liked him! Just thought I'd pass that on.

And yes, I was cleared to soak in the tub. 

7 week post op. And cant belive i hit 50lbs gone. So excited. Been eating nothing but protien and veggies.  No snacking, no fruit, nada. Eating 3x a day, plus a protien drink. Been losing a pound a day so far. Here's to another 50. :D

IMG_20160830_121027.jpg

Everyone is doing great!!! Today, I'm 5 weeks post - op and had the best non- scale victory!! This morning I was in a hurry to get ready and grabbed a pair of pants ( which I have the same pants in 2 sizes ) , I have been wearing the larger ones.. Well, I accidentally grabbed the smaller and they fit perfect!!! Even a little loose!!! 

Nutin2it, Murk, susan25 and 2 others like this

50 lbs Eileen? Wha, is that since surgery?! Omg that's great, congrats:)

susan25 and Little bird like this

Thank you Nut. 30lbs after surgery and 20lbs pre op. total 50..

Nutin2it and susan25 like this

Phase 1 of closet cleaning done! I gave away 5 bags of clothes that are way too big!!! Good bye size 18-20 !!! I will never wear that size again !!! 

Murk, Nutin2it and susan25 like this

30 minutes ago, Little bird said:

Phase 1 of closet cleaning done! I gave away 5 bags of clothes that are way too big!!! Good bye size 18-20 !!! I will never wear that size again !!! 

if you give the clothes to a charity be sure to get a receipt as you can deduct the value of the clothing from your federal income taxes as a charitable donation.

Nutin2it, Little bird and susan25 like this

If you do the Turbo Tax, it will walk you through it without a receipt but yes I think after you donate so much (like more than $500) the IRS wants receipt if your audited. It might be more than that, I can't remember for sure. 

Only reason I say that is cause the way the place here in town works they would freak out if you asked for a receipt! You can call any tax person and find out what the limit is...it may be $800 now., not sure.

Well, it's been 2 months for me. I'm down 25 lbs from surgery and 41 from my highest back in Feb/Mar.

People from work have noticed and asked if I am sick. My weight loss is still slow compared to everyone else, but like last month, I'm glad because it's easier to explain away a slower loss rather than a rapid weight loss would be. (People at work don't know I had WLS) I also thought people would notice how little I eat but they really don't.

I dropped down one pant size in 2 months and I have more energy and less joint pain. I have this irrational fear that this is it for weight loss but I know that can be a common thought during this time. More is coming, just gotta stick with the plan.

All new foods I've tolerated perfectly. I am looking forward to eating salad again. Who'd have thought it? When I'd diet in the past, it was always salad, salad, salad. Now I'm eager to have one but I think I gotta wait another month to introduce that. I am really thankful I pushed aside my fears and went through with my VSG.

@Murk, I'm also tolerating things like a champ (successfully consumed a ham & cheese omelet WITH A SCALLION the other day—living on the edge—and I can also do poached chicken breast, even though my program flags white meat chicken as something that people can have trouble with) and am really looking forward to salad! Fresh fruit & veg in general. I'm kind of dying without that crispness and flavor. Gimme an apple. I had a DREAM about eating cucumber.

I'm seven weeks out today. The last two weeks have been veeeery slow going on the loss front...I had my period the first week of September and was hoping for a whoosh on the scale after it, but it just hasn't come, so I'm trying to keep my head down and just keep hitting water and protein even though inside I am kind of screaming. I'm traveling internationally in less than a month and I was really hoping to be down another 15 or 20 by then, both for the flight itself and because I'm going to a thing where there are going to be a looooot of pictures taken. But I have been to glamorous events at 330 pounds and been fine, and I will be fine at this one no matter what I weigh. 

I have a wardrobe built for maximum size flexibility because I'm a chronic weight-cycler, so I'm almost certainly not going to need anything new for about another 50 pounds—this also means that I don't have a great reference point about what size I'm wearing or how that's shifting, so I kinda just have to go off a vague visual read. Things are definitely fitting differently. It's bittersweet, because I have spent tons of time and energy (not to mention money) on putting together a wardrobe I frankly really like—it's a little "safe," a little dress-to-fit-in-and-not-to-stand-out, but I have gorgeous dresses and plenty of 'em, and I am trying to wear the *&^% out of 'em before I can't anymore. And simultaneously secretly worrying that I won't actually lose that 50 pounds. Many feelings.

MKCPNW and Murk like this

Hey all, its been awhile since i updated. Wanted to post last week on my 8 week postop. But its 9 week now. Pic was taken last week. I weigh myself on Monday's so since Monday Im down 33lbs since surgery. All together from pre op. 53lbs. Slowly losing but i will take it. Losing lots of inches. My size 18 pants are really lose. But 16 are still tight. 3 more weeks and i will be able to eat anything that my new tummy allows. Which i kind of find scary of not having any restrictions. Ahah. Getting all my protien in and fluids. Eat 3x a day. Just sticking to protien and veggies. No fruit or starchy foods.  I walk a mile and a half 4x a week. I do physical therapy 2x a week for an hr. Im doing pretty good. Feel good. And love my sleeve. Lately been wanting sweets so bad but i know i cant have it. My tummy dont want it but my mind does. My mind a whole nother story. Anyways thats it for now. Hope all you Julyers are doing well. :D

1473983067307.jpg

nimiety, Nutin2it, MKCPNW and 2 others like this