grapey

Weight gain after pregnancy

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone else struggled with weight gain after giving birth? When I got pregnant, I was 16 months out from surgery. I was down to 132, below my goal of 140.  But that's where my body took me, even while not eating the greatest. I went up to 165-ish during pregnancy. Then, after pregnancy, and after emergency ulcer surgery a month after giving birth, I got down to 140-ish, and I was totally happy with that. I could fit into all my clothes. 

Since November 2015--four months after giving birth--I've gone up to 170. :( I am embarrassed to even admit that. I have avoided the forums because of it. I honestly would be happy if I could get down to 150-ish. I want to fit into my clothes again (and have a normal BMI). Yet, some days, I think, Where I am now isn't so bad--but when you've experienced fitting into a size 6, being a size 12 just isn't acceptable anymore. Even though I think I still look good in photos! I just am not happy with my body after knowing what *could be.*

I have not been careful about my eating. I eat the same as I did 16 months post-op, but I guess the honeymoon phase is over. And I have been drinking. A few glasses of wine a night. 

Thank you for letting me be honest here. I am disgusted with myself. But it's like my PCOS is back again, and I"m right where I was when I needed gastric bypass :( It's so discouraging. I've actually *gained* weight since I joined a gym in April, proving that it's food that causes me to gain/lose weight, not exercise. 

Grapey, I haven't experienced what you're going through, but I appreciate you coming back and sharing how you're doing. I would suggest that if you do nothing else, cut out the wine. It's empty calories, and if it's a daily thing, I'd be leery of addiction transfer (I'm not saying that's where you are, just suggesting being careful).

You should be where you're happy. If where you are isn't it, make a plan of action to get there. And by all means, keep coming back here. Take care of yourself.

sprocket likes this

As many folks on this forum can attest, losing excess weight after a weight gain is best done by a return to basics - a low protein, low calorie, low carb diet in which you measure/weigh all of your food (except for no calorie liquids), drink lots of no calorie liquids, and take your vitamins. 

You can do it!! :)

Thank you both. I appreciate your kind responses. I know that I should never drink my calories. I do feel like I'm on the edge of addiction transfer. I know what I need to do to lose weight, but I just don't do it. I've been thinking lately about doing the preop diet. That made me lose 10 lbs before surgery, and that might be a good kickstart for me. If I could just fit into my clothes, I would be happy. I'm just so angry that I can't eat like I did during my honeymoon phase. Well, I guess I wasn't drinking anything in my honeymoon phase. My life has changed so much. Having a child has been very hard for me. And quitting my job was a huge change. I have not dealt with all the changes as well as I'd hoped.

So I didn't drink any alcohol the last two days and the scale says I've lost three pounds. Maybe it's water, but I'll take it. It gives me hope. 

I

WendyH, Cheesehead, sprocket and 1 other like this

Missed you grapey!  Yay!  The scale is moving the right way!  Add in your exercise too.  I probably drank way too much before surgery.  I actually craved bloody Mary's right after surgery!  I'm lucky, for the most part I can't drink alcohol without it making me sick.  But I look at alcohol the same way I do fancy coffee drinks; do I really NEED those empty calories?!  Get back to basics; dense proteins first, track you input, plan your meals, measure... When tempted.. Ask yourself "do I really need that?!"  I often tell myself I like my new clothes and I'm not giving in...I used to grab a candy bar or donuts when shopping now I just tell myself I like my life now..I'm not going back!  Being a stay at home mom is hard.  It's hard to find time for yourself..

oh my goodness.......I am going through the same as you.  1 year after having my baby, I have gained 30 pounds.  :(  I kept being told my whole pregnancy to keep eating and my doctor insisted I eat carbs and lots of them. I wasn't gaining enough.  That is the same mindset I am in and can't get from!  I always feel hungry.  I had to buy new "fat" clothes and now they are too tight!!  Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated. 

It has been so long since I've posted, but 1 year postpartum and I am almost as heavy as I was at 9 months pregnant! I got pregnant 8 months out, only gained 10lbs while pregant, lost it and 10 more while breastfeeding, and now I'm up 20lbs 1 year out, still 50lbs from goal.

After being forced to eat while pregnant and nursing I have ever developed bad habits. :(

The struggle is real!

Thank you ladies for posting this. 

Hi Teachingaimee!  Congratulations on the new baby and welcome back to TT!  Maybe the 5 day pouch test will help you reset and get back to basics?  Or maybe try cutting out one bad habit at a time- e.g. This week don't drink while eating, next week don't drink while eating AND measure your food, etc. Just some suggestions. We'll be rooting for you!

Welcome back Aimee!  Get back to basics!  Protein first!  No eating and drinking. Cut back the carbs.  High protein, low carb.  Get 4 oz protein in first.  Then your veg or fruit.  

GAviv likes this