Lewiswife

So emotional..

24 posts in this topic

Hi all!  I'm gonna say what I'm feeling..I don't need any negative comments...I'm having a hard time emotionally...one day I'm okay and feel happy and the next day I feel lonely and I cry ALOT! My poor husband is doing everything he can, bless his heart...I go Tuesday to my 6 week post op appt...is it normal to be on such an emotional roller-coaster?  Is this something I should talk to my doctor/surgeon about?  Any advice is appreciated...

tmcgee likes this

I was on a huge emotional roller coaster for several weeks. My family, friends, and bariatric support team got me through it, I could not get past it without their help.  Hang in there, it gets MUCH better, and reach out for help if you need it, it's there for you. It's available here and from your support team. This is major surgery, and all of us have been though the changes that happen.

Lewiswife and Stephtay like this

11 hours ago, Lewiswife said:

Hi all!  I'm gonna say what I'm feeling..I don't need any negative comments...I'm having a hard time emotionally...one day I'm okay and feel happy and the next day I feel lonely and I cry ALOT! My poor husband is doing everything he can, bless his heart...I go Tuesday to my 6 week post op appt...is it normal to be on such an emotional roller-coaster?  Is this something I should talk to my doctor/surgeon about?  Any advice is appreciated...

Hi Lewiswife

As I understand, estrogen is stored in our fat cells. When you start losing weight this estrogen is released into your organism causing hormonal imbalances and mood swings. A lot of people who underwent WLS go through this. And yes I believe your surgical team are familiar with this and they can help you. 

I hope you feel better soon. Let us know what your dr says. Best of luck on the rest of your journey. You'll be fine. I'm sure of it.

Lewiswife likes this

From what I've read here and from my own experience, yes, it's totally common to have lots of emotions spewing out after surgery.  Personally, I felt like it was all those suppressed emotions coming to the surface after having been pushed down by food for so many years.   All of those emotions seemed to just come on up. Fortunately, I have an excellent therapist and I've learned coping strategies that help me.  I hope you have access to a bariatric therapist as well. Even if you don't, like Tom said, your bariatric team is there to help you, and so are we! I hope you are feeling better very soon! xo

Stephtay and Lewiswife like this

5 minutes ago, bellamoma said:

From what I've read here and from my own experience, yes, it's totally common to have lots of emotions spewing out after surgery.  Personally, I felt like it was all those suppressed emotions coming to the surface after having been pushed down by food for so many years.   All of those emotions seemed to just come on up. Fortunately, I have an excellent therapist and I've learned coping strategies that help me.  I hope you have access to a bariatric therapist as well. Even if you don't, like Tom said, your bariatric team is there to help you, and so are we! I hope you are feeling better very soon! xo

Thank you so much!  What you said actually makes alot of sense.  See I grew up always being the "fat" one...shamed by my family...so I started turning to food...after I got married my weight just kept going up...I went through a really deep depression in 2011 and instead of trying to get help I turned to food yet again...so now I have all these emotions due to my body changing and not being able to turn to food...I have no good coping mechanisms...the words of my family always stick in my brain...you know when you hear something all the time you eventually begin to believe it...when I look in the mirror I still see that unhappy 255 lb person...I know I'm only 6 weeks out...my pre surgery weight was 235. I'm 192 right now...I have a ways to go but at least I'm headed that way.  I go see my doctor tomorrow and will be seeing about maybe getting into some counseling. ..thank you for sharing your experience...

Stephtay and bellamoma like this

What has been said here is great. But can you pause for just a second and celebrate that you've reached ONEDERLAND?! That's pretty freaking awesome! Hope to join you soon.;)

Edited by Kimchan

I'm happy that it helped you!

Any of those "tapes" of negativity that play in your brain can be changed, just like you can change the radio station.  When you kind of go into autopilot mode, the negative tapes can play. That's where being mindful comes in.  It takes practice, but with time, when those negative tapes start to play, your conscious self needs to stop it and replace it with loving, motivational, inspirational self talk.  Just like you started to believe the negative stuff, you can start to believe the positive self talk.  Like you said, if you hear it all the time you start to believe it. You have the power within you to change the negative tape to a positive one, by playing the positive tapes over and over.  Sounds crazy but it's really true.  Keep me posted! 

tmcgee and Lewiswife like this

1 minute ago, Kimchan said:

What has been said here is great. But can you pause for just a second and celebrate that you've reached ONEDERLAND?! That's pretty freaking awesome! Hope to join you soon.;)

Yes yes yes!  I was super happy when I got to 199...lol...you will get there...good luck!

3 minutes ago, bellamoma said:

I'm happy that it helped you!

Any of those "tapes" of negativity that play in your brain can be changed, just like you can change the radio station.  When you kind of go into autopilot mode, the negative tapes can play. That's where being mindful comes in.  It takes practice, but with time, when those negative tapes start to play, your conscious self needs to stop it and replace it with loving, motivational, inspirational self talk.  Just like you started to believe the negative stuff, you can start to believe the positive self talk.  Like you said, if you hear it all the time you start to believe it. You have the power within you to change the negative tape to a positive one, by playing the positive tapes over and over.  Sounds crazy but it's really true.  Keep me posted! 

I will!  Thank you for your encouraging words!!  I can do this!

bellamoma likes this

3 minutes ago, Lewiswife said:

Yes yes yes!  I was super happy when I got to 199...lol...you will get there...good luck!

Thanks! And don't forget how far you've come. Congratulations! 

Also it's important to shed other people's definitions of who you are. They are flawed people just like we are. Their perceptions never defined you. Sometimes we take on people's labels that never really matched who we were to begin with. It's time to lay that burden down. Hopefully with therapy you will.

You may even surprise yourself by the strong woman you're becoming.:D

Edited by Kimchan
Lewiswife likes this

2 minutes ago, Kimchan said:

Thanks! And don't forget how far you've come. Congratulations! 

Also it's important to shed other people's definitions of who you are. They are flawed people just like we are. Their perceptions never defined you. Sometimes we take on people's labels that never really matched who we were to begin with. It's time to lay that burden down. Hopefully with therapy you will.

You may even surprise yourself by the strong woman you're becoming.:D

Thank you!  You are absolutely right....it has been a burden for a LONG TIME! You're very sweet!

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

Just now, Lewiswife said:

Thank you!  You are absolutely right....it has been a burden for a LONG TIME! You're very sweet!

So are you! Go discover the new you!:wub:

Lewiswife likes this

3 minutes ago, Kimchan said:

So are you! Go discover the new you!:wub:

I'm headed that way!  :D:wub:

ShrinkingViolet2 and Clickin like this

Ssoooo....I went to my appt today...6 weeks post op...I'm down 44 lbs...woot woot!!!  :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D My doctor said what I was feeling was completely normal...it's a mixture of the changes in my body, suppressed feelings coming to a head(gonna learn new coping skills) and the fact I started birth control a week ago...he said it would level out by month 3 or 4....I won't go back till October 3rd...hopefully will be down even more!  Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement! :wub:

Res Ipsa, LadyFl, bellamoma and 3 others like this

3 hours ago, Lewiswife said:

Ssoooo....I went to my appt today...6 weeks post op...I'm down 44 lbs...woot woot!!!  :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D My doctor said what I was feeling was completely normal...it's a mixture of the changes in my body, suppressed feelings coming to a head(gonna learn new coping skills) and the fact I started birth control a week ago...he said it would level out by month 3 or 4....I won't go back till October 3rd...hopefully will be down even more!  Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement! :wub:

Stay with it, it works! Very very few of us regret it, I certainly don't and am planning to live the rest of my life "on-plan" -- I just don't see any other option!

50 lbs gone....

20160822_102819-1.jpg

Giving a brief update...I have lost 50 lbs finally!  40 more to go... my husband recently changed his diet and started working out with me...it has helped me tremendously..makes me feel like I'm not alone....I'm excited!! :wub:

2 minutes ago, Lewiswife said:

50 lbs gone....

20160822_102819-1.jpg

Phenomenal! And the smile on your face says it all. Congratulations you're halfway there!!!!

look at that smile! I love it! You look fantastic.  Keep up the amazing work!!!! 

LeeC and Lewiswife like this

On August 23, 2016 at 0:17 PM, Lewiswife said:

50 lbs gone....

20160822_102819-1.jpg

You look fantastic! Congrats, all of us here know that this whole process is not at all easy. 

Lewiswife likes this

On August 23, 2016 at 0:17 PM, Lewiswife said:

50 lbs gone....

20160822_102819-1.jpg

Congratulations on hitting that milestone!  You look great!

Edited by Dunndeal
Lyssakay likes this

Definitely feeling the emotion! Today is 5 days post op and I cried three times today. It's a HUGE commitment and I think the reason it makes us all so emotional is because we have no choice but to work with it because we can't take it back. It's hard! 

Minfit likes this

6 hours ago, Lyssakay said:

Definitely feeling the emotion! Today is 5 days post op and I cried three times today. It's a HUGE commitment and I think the reason it makes us all so emotional is because we have no choice but to work with it because we can't take it back. It's hard! 

Honey!  Im so sorry you're emotional...I know exactly how you feel...you are right about commitment...you will also be emotional because of the stored estrogen..my doctor told me as you lose weight that stored estrogen is in the fat cells...It'll start to be released. ..plus you're only 5 days out.  I was very emotional from all the meds.  You'll adjust and it will become better I promise.  We've all been there.  You gotta just keep on keeping on...I'm almost 3 months out and I have NO regrets!  It's a journey that'll be so worth it...you'll start to see results very soon! :rolleyes:so chin up sunshine!!:wub:

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

9 hours ago, Lewiswife said:

Honey!  Im so sorry you're emotional...I know exactly how you feel...you are right about commitment...you will also be emotional because of the stored estrogen..my doctor told me as you lose weight that stored estrogen is in the fat cells...It'll start to be released. ..plus you're only 5 days out.  I was very emotional from all the meds.  You'll adjust and it will become better I promise.  We've all been there.  You gotta just keep on keeping on...I'm almost 3 months out and I have NO regrets!  It's a journey that'll be so worth it...you'll start to see results very soon! :rolleyes:so chin up sunshine!!:wub:

So maybe that's why I am getting Insain hot flashes! Lol thanks for the encouragement it's greatly appreciated! ❤️

Lewiswife and ShrinkingViolet2 like this