Nutin2it

Wow

6 posts in this topic

I went all day today until 4:00 before I ate anything and didn't really feel like I had to then. Was out and about with my son and we just didn't eat til then. For me that is just unbelievable lol, before surgery I would have chewed my way through the glove box if someone didn't feed me by 11:00!

Northchild likes this

I really wouldn't recommend you make a habit of that Nutin2it.  If nothing else, try to slip in a protein shake or two.  

Nutin2it likes this

Some people experience low blood sugar because they didn't eat. In the beginning I had to eat something every 2-3 hours to prevent fainting. Now that problem is much better and I am fine going 4 to 5 hours without eating. For a long time I had to eat by the clock to prevent low blood sugar. You should be wearing a medical alert bracelet indicating you are prone to hypoglycemia and no blind ng tube insertion. You should always have a protein snack with you, nuts, protein bars, string cheese etc. Here in my area, 7-11 has a lot of healthier protein choices than 5 years ago. String cheese, Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, egg salad, tuna salad. With the sandwiches, I scrape off the protein , put it in a small cup and toss the bread. My 7-11 will give me a small( 6 oz) plastic cup to put the egg salad in and then I eat it with a fork. In the summer you can pack a small cooler with perishables so you will always have something protein to eat.  These are some of the life style changes everyone needs to make to be successful and not faint.

Nutin2it likes this

I would also pay close attention to how you feel tomorrow. I did the same thing a couple of times in the past couple of weeks and really felt drained the next day after.

I didn't put two and two together until about the third time I did it..

Ok I didn't put two and two together at all I was telling my wife how I had forgotten to eat  the day before and how I was almost amazed and she pointed out that the day after for all three I had felt really run down.

Wife's  are awesome, definitely the better half, although with all of my loss so far she might be 5/8.

LeeC and Nutin2it like this

whatever surgery you had, mindful eating is very important. Mindful eating includes making decisions about what to eat. Before eating, I eval my food choice: does it help me meet my protein goal and will it make my carb total too high?

I am always prepared with water or other decaf beverage, portable protein choices, string cheese, babybel light. P3's, balanced break, pre measured bag of nuts. If I am going to be away from home for more than 3 hours, I pack an inslulated  lunch bag with me. I take empty water bottles, fill them half way with water and freeze them. When I pack a lunch bag, I use  those bottles as ice packs and then when they are unfrozen, I drink the unfrozen water.

Everyone's metabolism is different. You will need to figure  what and when your body needs.

Not making some of these changes, can be harmful to any WLS patient.

best....

Nutin2it likes this

On August 5, 2016 at 9:54 PM, cinwa said:

I really wouldn't recommend you make a habit of that Nutin2it.  If nothing else, try to slip in a protein shake or two.  

Oh I did, had a protein shake for breakfast as always and made sure I stayed hydrated throughout the day.

thanks for all the suggestions, very good tips there! It was really just a spur of the moment and while I thought we would stop and get lunch, he had had a big breakfast and really wasn't interested. That's where a back up of a prepackaged food would have come in handy and while I could've grabbed a beef/cheese stick at the store easy enough, I think I was more in my old mindset or something.