Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stephaniemichelle124

8 yrs post op and...

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone eles is around the same post op timing as I am? I developed a drinking problem,  but went into treatment and have been there for almost 7 months.  I am now 179 give or take some,  but I was wondering if any of you have had revisions or are curious about them.any thoughts on the dounonal switch (sp?) what's your diet like this long out? Have u gained any weight back? 

20160709_114117.jpg

20160704_171807.jpg

20160704_171751.jpg

20160703_114513.jpg

Welcome Stephanie. A couple of people who have had revisions recently pop in periodically. They can speak from personal experience. Most people on this site are post-sleeve or post-bypass. There are two users whose primary surgery was DS. AAA is pretty far post-op, and ShrinkMe is more recent.

As for the drinking, you may be interested in reading about other people's experiences with transfer addiction. There's an entire section of the forum dedicated to it.

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/forum/179-addiction-transfer/

JulieW likes this

Hi Stephanie,

So glad to hear you sought treatment for the drinking.  I don't know of many long term post op folks here, but Wendy's advice is solid- i've read the transfer addiction threads a lot since I knew it was a real possibility and wanted to learn as much as I could pre-op. 

Have you tried going "back to basics"? Back to that pre-op liquid diet, to "re-set" your mind and get yourself back on track to protein first, etc. Also speaking with a bariatric therapist may help you- they know about  transfer addiction an can help you in that regard. Your bariatric team should be able to talk to you about revision, and whether or not it's an option for you. Best of luck to you!

Hi Stephanie.

I am 8 years out from my original rny surgery. Not sure I can help you much but the day after my initial surgery I developed pnuemonia, which led into multiple pnuemonias, my lungs being tapped, then scraped (thoracotomy) then respiratory failure. I had multiple leaks and strictures. Ulcers. Chest tubes, feeding tubes, etc. At 36 I was in a nursing home. Eventually I came home, but was sick every day for 2 years.  Every day, 24/7. Nausea, vomiting, dumping, pain ... I wanted to die. I had NO quality of life. 2 years later I had a reversal at a different hospital. Although I have some quality of life back, I still get sick to this day. As was explained to me, even with the reversal, although they try and "put you back together" you can never be restored to the original you. Although I don't have quite as many problems as before the reversal, there are still issues. Which are still bad. Have had 4 adbominal hernias since my reversal, which all required surgery. Granted, my quality of life is better, but still going thru everything I do is horrible.  Still have dumping, nausea, occasional vomiting, stomach spasms, etc. (I originally lost 80 lbs. But have gained about 20 back since the revision almost 6 years ago.) I wish you luck in whatever you decide and if you have any questions feel free to email me.

I can't find a doctor who will do the reversal. It has been a nightmare

Stephanie, sorry you have experienced addiction transfer but very glad you been able to gain control over it.  Are you considering a revision?  I think I'm a bit confused, did you have the DS and are thinking about a revision or are you looking for a revision to DS?  Sorry, maybe I'm missing something.