Smylin

Runners' Nutritional Needs - any good books?

4 posts in this topic

I now consider myself a "runner" again. Done some 5Ks and training for the Rock & Roll half in January. (I'm 3 years post-op for anyone who is curious.)  

Im having no problem with increasing my distance as far as my legs, knees, ankles, joints go. My biggest issue right now is tricking my body into resting because for the past three years I was too afraid to give my body a rest. I thought if I didn't work out one day, I might be 350 lbs the next day. Well now I realize that in order to train for a half I have to get the right rest, so I'm working on that. The other issue is fueling my body enough to be able to go the long distances. As you all can probably imagine, I am afraid of carbs, but as a runner I don't think I can survive without them (the good kind). I'm wondering if any runners/wls patients can recommend any good books or authors to read for good info on the nutritional needs for distance runners? Appreciate any leads. 

MrsBrewher likes this

Smylin - I would strongly suggest the book, Run to Lose. It's published by the folks at Runner's World (written by Van Allen & Bede).

While it isn't specifically geared for those of us who have had WLS, it has some solid menu choices that are appropriate for our needs (occasionally with a little modification). Since my WLS in May 2014, I've done 20+ 5Ks, a 15K, 3 half-marathons, multiple duathlons (run-bike-run), and am now training for the Miami Half Iron Duathlon, Miami Marathon, and the HITS Half Iron.

As you move to longer runs in your training, I'd suggest finding out what works best for you. Have seen a few folks try something "new" on race day and it's always been a mess for them.

Best of luck!

Robb

I am about three years post-op too and I have been running since before. My first half marathon was at 240 pounds. I have numerous long distances under my belt. Last month I logged over 150 running miles. Anyway, I have found a slightly higher carb meal the two nights before a very long run (for me that is over 15 miles) is helpful. I do a quest bar for breakfast before a run...doesn't upset my stomach. Has protein and a few carbs. If I am running 3+ hours, I will do some sport beans with electrolytes. Not even a whole package over a marathon. But a couple beans ever hour or so after 2. This keeps me from getting too much sugar, but gets me some. 

Just doing a little research to see if there are any ultra marathoners on here, and ran across this.  (wondering how to fuel and hydrate for super long distance) There is so such thing as fat adapted running, where you don't need to eat a lot of carbs for distance running if you generally avoid carbs already, or you start avoiding them again in your training.  Limited good carbs are helpful, but you can fuel your running on things like avocado, protein, nut butters, etc.  It can be researched on line with a simple google search.  Have you found something that works for you?  I don't always avoid carbs, so I am not necessarily a very good example of fat-adapted running, but if you have found something that works since you posted this, will you update on your experiences?  I'm looking for distance running fuel as well!