zirco leopard

Vitamins, Minerals, & Protein Shakes!! Help!! UPMC Magee

6 posts in this topic

my surgery date isn't until sept 12 but i am trying to get prepared and understand what i need for when i come home from surgery. i am not a last minute type of person so i am hoping to pick up things here and there as my surgery date approaches. with that being said... vitamins, minerals, and protein shakes - oh my! magee women's hospital has sent me home with so much information i am starting to become over whelmed. what should i get?

i know i am supposed to only get samples of the protein shakes for now so that way i ain't stuck with something gross in bulk. but.. what brand? and do i get the ready made kind or the kind you mix every day? magee women's hospital said i can do either one. what tastes the best? what is the cheapest? i want something that tastes good since i have to drink it every day... i want to like this stuff and not dread it.

i knew i had to take a multivitamin for life but i didn't know in addition to that i also needed calcium w/ vitamin d, vitamin b 12, vitamin c, and iron. by all means this isn't a deal breaker for me but like.. yeah, what do all of you use? in addition it said that these vitamin supplements and minerals needed to be in chewable or liquid form and then later in phase 4 i might be able to take pill form. what chewable or liquid form multivitamin, calcium w/ vitamin d, vitamin b 12, vitamin c, and iron do you all take? and from what i understand, the papers magee gave me said i don't start taking my vitamins and minerals until phase 2. is that when you started taking yours? is name brand quality important? is walmart brand ok? or should i get like nature's way or whatever name brand out there that has been tested? i dont want to land in the hospital for not taking good vitamins and minerals but i also dont want to go broke. ugh.. i don't know.. PLEASE HELP.

I use Premier Protein ready-made chocolate shakes for my breakfast, which I generally drink when I get to work. I don't like breakfast, cooking, (or mornings for that matter) but know how important it is to get protein in, so that's my go-to. I buy a 18-count box of them at Costco. I think you can find little 4-packs at most grocery stores.

I use Unjury for flavorless protein powder. I order online at their site.

I use Trutein protein powder for shakes in the evening because it's what my husband likes and uses and they have lots of flavors that are good alone or with fruit, PB2, etc. I order online.

There are so many options though that it really boils down to your flavor preference. Most brands offer sample packs either at the store or through their websites.

1 hour ago, sprocket said:

I use Premier Protein ready-made chocolate shakes for my breakfast, which I generally drink when I get to work. I don't like breakfast, cooking, (or mornings for that matter) but know how important it is to get protein in, so that's my go-to. I buy a 18-count box of them at Costco. I think you can find little 4-packs at most grocery stores.

I use Unjury for flavorless protein powder. I order online at their site.

I use Trutein protein powder for shakes in the evening because it's what my husband likes and uses and they have lots of flavors that are good alone or with fruit, PB2, etc. I order online.

There are so many options though that it really boils down to your flavor preference. Most brands offer sample packs either at the store or through their websites.

thank you so much sprocket! i don't do mornings either and i was thinking the same that the ready made protein shakes would be good for breakfast.. maybe lunch too? i don't know what to do while i'm on lunch at work.

may i ask about your vitamins and minerals? what all do you take and what brand? i can see on your profile it says you have the sleeve whereas i am getting the bypass. do you still have to take multivitamins and minerals or no?

I use Kirkland (Costco brand) Adult Multivitamin Gummies, Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3 Gummies (Sprouts or Amazon), the Kirkland Hair, Skin & Nails 5000 mcg Biotin tablets, Kirkland Sugar-free Calcium Soft Chews 500 mg + D + K, Trace Minerals Ionic Iron 22 mg liquimins (Sprouts), and Now Liquid B-12 (Sprouts). The iron gets added to a drink (protein shake, etc.) and the B-12 is a dropper that you just squirt in your mouth. I still use gummies and liquids primarily because I gag on large tablets and always have. 

Yes, I am sleeve and while vitamins are important for us, I think they are even more important for bypassers due to the malabsorption component you have. Vitamins are confusing at best and I'm by no means an expert. These brands work for me and are easily obtainable. There are many posts you can search for on the site regarding vitamins, but look for cinwa's posts in particular. She has posted loads of helpful information, recommendations, and economical brands, etc. She knows her stuff and I found her information to be quite helpful when I was starting out in order to find brands that met my needs.

You can do ready-made shakes/drinks for lunch too. The important thing is to have something available that you will actually use. For me, making powder shakes at work just wasn't an option. Lunch gets easier once you can eat soft stuff like cottage cheese, chili, boiled eggs, and so on.

I'm excited for you! It seems overwhelming now, but sooner than you think you'll be a (skinnier) old pro. 

Edited by sprocket
Res Ipsa and kayak19 like this

thank you so much sprocket! you are so helpful and i'm searching for everything you mentioned right now! i wasn't sure if i was allowed gummies or soft chews but i called today to check and they said yes. everything you said will work perfectly for me. thanks again!

I use Trader Joe's chewable multivitamins and T Joe's chewable B12.  At Costco I get Stix-Vitamin D3 powder (2 packages a day for 4K units) and the Biotin. I started out with Wellness calcium citrate in liquid form but can now take Calcitrate pills.  I was taking Celebrate chewable Iron +C but am looking for a different chewable Iron just to try something different.  I do suggest you buy no more than 1 bottle of each that you need because your tastes can change very quickly. 

Res Ipsa likes this