ShrinkingViolet2

Julian Bakery Protein Bars and Net Carbs??

I see them pop up on my Facebook feed every day and am seriously considering ordering them. I like that they're egg or beef protein based and have unique flavors. Does anybody know anything about them and how they taste?

And what's up with net carbs? Is this a real concept: balance fiber and carbs and the overall carb content is fine?

image.jpeg

Edited by Kimchan

Well, I Googled it and visited their site, so now I'm going to be cookie stalked. ;)

Anyway, I wouldn't do it. The Amazon ratings are so-so, the bars aren't available in stores, they only come in boxes, and apparently there's some controversy over potential false labeling of nutritional information. All this from a quick look on Amazon and the first page of the Google search results. I will say, though, that the flavors they have are ones that I would like. I'm intrigued by the sunflower butter flavored ones.

Thanks!

Since my surgery I have become a very careful reader of food labels. To me the key information items are protein, calories, weight, and (most importantly) the protein to calorie ratio. To me, these bars have too little protein for their calories. Also these bars are not large - as 61 grams of weight is a little over 2 oz in weight.

In contrast, 4 oz of lean turkey breast has just 153 calories and an amazing 34 grams of protein. Tastes great too!

20 grams of protein for 2 ounces seems pretty good to me, plus the sugar content is low. My only warning would be that you'll be taking in quite a few carbs, where as eating meat, poultry fish you'll get the protein without the carbs. 

In saying that, everyone has a different way of eating. My food choices won't work for someone else. If I'm going to eat carbs I'd rather have my 2oz hamburger pattie on half a bun than eat a protein bar high in carbs. The choice is yours to figure out where to spend those carbs! 

11 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Since my surgery I have become a very careful reader of food labels. To me the key information items are protein, calories, weight, and (most importantly) the protein to calorie ratio. To me, these bars have too little protein for their calories. Also these bars are not large - as 61 grams of weight is a little over 2 oz in weight.

In contrast, 4 oz of lean turkey breast has just 153 calories and an amazing 34 grams of protein. Tastes great too!

True! I'm not at the protein bar phase yet, but when I saw the glazed donut flavor pop up on my Facebook feed, I was intrigued. I don't know when I'll actually be able to have protein bars. I have one more week of the post-op liquid diet. Looking forward to transitioning to purées.

3 hours ago, JulieW said:

20 grams of protein for 2 ounces seems pretty good to me, plus the sugar content is low. My only warning would be that you'll be taking in quite a few carbs, where as eating meat, poultry fish you'll get the protein without the carbs. 

In saying that, everyone has a different way of eating. My food choices won't work for someone else. If I'm going to eat carbs I'd rather have my 2oz hamburger pattie on half a bun than eat a protein bar high in carbs. The choice is yours to figure out where to spend those carbs! 

Ok, thanks! I'm just wondering what to do in situations where it's the middle of the day and you're at work and need a pick me up snack. I'm a teacher and can't leave my classroom whenever I feel like it. I just may need to invest in a classroom fridge to keep fresh food nearby.

For snacks think high protein and not too many calories. As I get up early every morning (I am married to a school teacher), I eat breakfast by six am most mornings. Thus, I have a nonfat Greek yoghurt at work almost every day around 10:30 am to get me through the long time period between breakfast and lunch. 

Finally, I refuse to eat food that I do not really like. I love flavored nonfat Greek yoghurt and do not like protein bars. 

When you get to that phase and have been cleared for it; jerky, nuts (although high calorie), are good non refrigerated choices.  I also will take my string cheese out of the fridge as I like it room temp.  Can you have a lunch box in your room?  Lunch meat with a piece of string cheese is a good protein snack...

oops

Edited by Kimchan

3 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

When you get to that phase and have been cleared for it; jerky, nuts (although high calorie), are good non refrigerated choices.  I also will take my string cheese out of the fridge as I like it room temp.  Can you have a lunch box in your room?  Lunch meat with a piece of string cheese is a good protein snack...

Thanks! These are excellent ideas.:)

One thing to remember about protein bars is that for some people they are a slippery slope or trigger for junk.   I keep quest bars in my purse, computer bag, tennis bag and carryon bag.  They aren't the first thing I go for when choosing but for me it's comforting to know if I'm in a meeting where pizza is the only option for lunch I have a good choice readily available.