j.millen

HELP! MY NERVES ARE GETTING THE BEST OF ME......

21 posts in this topic

So...I am so nervous about tomorrow. I have already been approved and tomorrow I go to get my surgery date and pay my deposit. I am pretty sure I have gained weight from the last appointment. I tend to snack on bad food when studying for my finals! Should I tell my doctor how anxious I am about the actual surgery date? Will they give me something to clam me down the day of the surgery? Will they knock me out before they roll me into the OR? I am also a wimpy person when it comes to pain. I was told that it will be a piece of cake and that it is nothing compared to my c-section. Is it sad that I am scared that something will go wrong during my surgery? I AM SO NERVOUS AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY SURGERY DATE!!

Stephtay likes this

Most doctors will prescribe a Xanax or similar to take the night before to help calm you, but you'll need to ask. Ditto the Versed or other hypnotic amnesiac in your IV the next day. You'll get it regardless, but if you ask, they'll most likely start it a bit early to take the edge off.

Sally L, Stephtay and j.millen like this

They offered me meds to relax on the morning of surgery. If they don't, just ask. Personally, I have a big problem with Xanax. It has a very short half life, and when it wears off, my anxiety spikes to a far higher level than I originally had. Clonazipam doesn't do that to me, the half life is much longer.

Xanax was prescribed when I had my first panic attack. My father was dying and the meltdown lasted two days. After that, it took me five years to get off that evil drug. Clonazipam is also a benzodiazepines and is a much better choice for many folks. It also doesn't feel like the hand of dog, and that can also be a big deal.

Stephtay, j.millen and Sally L like this

I think most people had some nervousness prior to surgery. It is major surgery and there are risks associated with it. However, the health risks that go along with being obese outweigh the risks of surgery. I also want to be real with you about something. It is NOT a piece of cake. Some have easier recovery experiences than others, but most experience post surgery discomfort for a few days to a few weeks. There's also the emotional components of being on a liquid then restricted diet for several weeks. Don't get me wrong...it's all worth it but it isn't a piece of cake.

Stephtay, Sally L, tmcgee and 1 other like this

I was totally unprepared for the emotional reaction, and I'm quite thankful for highly supportive family and friends. There is also excellent support here, although some of us didn't know about TT at the time of our WLS.

They're right you can get medications just tell your surgeon and anesthesiologist you're anxious.  There is significant evidence that your expectations and mind set going in to surgery can greatly impact how you feel when you come out of surgery.  Everyone is different.  I had laparoscopic RNY and compared to my previous surgery with a low incision hip to hip mine really was a walk in the park.  Deep breath it's gonna work out great!!

j.millen, Sally L and Stephtay like this

I had outpatient surgery (under local anesthesia) last year and told my doc beforehand that I was incredibly nervous about it.  She prescribe a single dose "chill pill" which was amazingly helpful.

And if necessary, once you go into pre-op, you can tell the anaesthetist that you need something for nerves.

Raeme, tmcgee, Sally L and 1 other like this

Well, I am having my surgery Tuesday, July 19,2016! I had to start my fluid diet as soon as I left the office. I am nervous and so glad that I am getting this done. I did lose eleven pounds since my last appointment a month ago. I am ready to be on the loser bench! I can't believe how quick they scheduled my appointment!

Murk, Cheesehead, Raeme and 3 others like this

This is exactly how the process went for me. My surgeon's scheduler called on Monday morning and said "if you can come in today and meet with the NUT and the dr, we can schedule your surgery for 2 weeks from today."  I told her I could be there in 20 mins if needed. I think it's ideal. No time for food funerals and no more super long waits.  Congratulations!  

Res Ipsa, Fitz, Sally L and 1 other like this

18 hours ago, j.millen said:

Well, I am having my surgery Tuesday, July 19,2016! I had to start my fluid diet as soon as I left the office. I am nervous and so glad that I am getting this done. I did lose eleven pounds since my last appointment a month ago. I am ready to be on the loser bench! I can't believe how quick they scheduled my appointment!

Congratulations on dropping that 11lb and getting your surgery date!

Don't forget to add your name to the July Calendar - Kazzy2 is having surgery that day.

Sally L likes this

Surgery in the morning! This liquid diet had me feeling so weak and without energy! I am ready to get this done! 

Edited by j.millen
MimiJ318 and WendyH like this

Surgery is over for me. I have slight discomfort but for the most part I am ok. I have walking everywhere. My doctors where surprised how well I'm doing. I feel crazy for stressing out so much before the procedure! 

Murk, Dunndeal, MimiJ318 and 1 other like this

I'm glad to hear that things went smoothly. Welcome to the loser's bench. :)

Sally L likes this

3 hours ago, j.millen said:

Surgery is over for me. I have slight discomfort but for the most part I am ok. I have walking everywhere. My doctors where surprised how well I'm doing. I feel crazy for stressing out so much before the procedure! 

Stressing out about any surgery is pretty normal but I'm glad that you came back to let us know how you're doing.  Stuff like that helps our members with their WLS surgery coming up.

Sally L likes this

3 hours ago, j.millen said:

I too stressed out like crazy! Wasted energy on my part. Glad to hear you came through it so well!

Sally L likes this

Just an update:

Start weight: 340

Current weight: 192 (2/22/17)

I work out 6 times a week and I am loving every minute of my new lifestyle!

6 minutes ago, j.millen said:

Just an update:

Start weight: 340

Current weight: 192 (2/22/17)

I work out 6 times a week and I am loving every minute of my new lifestyle!

Yeah!  Great job!  

ShrinkingViolet2 and Sally L like this

On 13-7-2016 at 8:07 AM, tmcgee said:

It also doesn't feel like the hand of dog

Lolwut?

Sally L and Hulaw2007 like this

Update! Almost a year out and loving life! I love participating in boxing, jiu-jitsu, and body weight exercises. I do believe I am addicted to working out now. I still work out 6 times a week but I do martial arts/boxing 3 times a week as well. My diet is still on point. I actually hate cheating on my diet. I love my new life. What a wonderful transformation this past year. Thank you for all the support! 

Fabulous!

Sally L likes this

Wow - you lost a little over half of your original weight!! 

I agree that life at goal weight after a gastric bypass can be really great.

Sally L likes this