GRANDMA

GOOD TASTING PROTEIN DRINKS

13 posts in this topic

FIRST, LET ME SAY THAT I ALWAYS TYPE IN CAPS....IT DOES NOT MEAN I AM ANGRY OR TRYING TO GET A POINT ACROSS.

I AM PRE-OP FOR EITHER THE SLEEVE OR BYPASS. I'VE STARTED ALL THE DOCTOR VISITS FOR CLEARANCE AND TRYING OUT LIQUID PROTEIN DRINKS BEFORE I AM "REQUIRED" TO DRINK THEM. SO FAR, SO BAD. I CANNOT FIND ANYTHING I LIKE THAT FALLS INTO THE GUIDELINES SET BY MY DOCTOR. I'VE TRIED SEVERAL AND EACH IS WORSE THAN THE OTHER.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????????

From One Grandma to Another......

The only one I have been able to tolerate is Premier Protein, all flavors except the strawberry. I usually put the chocolate one in my morning decafe. They have 30gms of protein and Slimfast has just come out with a new one that has 20gms of protein and the Salted Carmel is to die for. I had a really hard time with the "powders" so even though I'm 15 months out from having the sleeve I still rely on pre made protein shakes. Sometimes I even freeze them and eat them that way. Best of luck to you. You can do this........

Be Well

Joyce (Grandma Glitter) that's my clown name fyi   

jbeezy25 and GRANDMA like this

I agree with grandmaglitter1221. Premier protein from costco is pretty delicious and it has 30g of protein. I like the chocolate one, it tastes like chocolate milk!! I'm 11 days post op and struggling to get in enough protein. I got some strawberry powder as well but I'm so sick of sweetness. I wish there was some kind of savory liquid protein that's not a super weird consistency. Good luck! I'm down 23 lbs already!!

GRANDMA likes this

41 minutes ago, jbeezy25 said:

I agree with grandmaglitter1221. Premier protein from costco is pretty delicious and it has 30g of protein. I like the chocolate one, it tastes like chocolate milk!! I'm 11 days post op and struggling to get in enough protein. I got some strawberry powder as well but I'm so sick of sweetness. I wish there was some kind of savory liquid protein that's not a super weird consistency. Good luck! I'm down 23 lbs already!!

I liked Unjury Chicken soup flavor protein when I was early post-op.  It has good flavor and texture, and since I had my surgery in the winter I loved the comfort of the warm soup. 

I have always been a Syntrax Nectar fan - not so much the fruity flavours - I'm a shake girl.

It's a whey protein isolate product with 23g protein (more if made with milk obviously), 0 carbs and fat.

I get my tubs from Vitacost.com but you can get a 14 pl sample selection here:   14Pk Of Syntrax Nectar Samples For $14 (Free Shipping)

I went through a phase of being lactose sensitive early out and switched to Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein® High Protein (soy protein isolate).  Great tasting stuff but you have to be mindful that the vitamin and mineral content is pretty extensive and that coupled with the supplements we already take (or should be taking), could be pushing the boundaries a little.

I did best with the Syntrax products--not the fruity stuff though. They're decent with water and actually tasty with milk.

I do OK with Premier but they have an aftertaste that bothers me if I drink them too often.

I never found anything I loved though. The pre-op and post-op diets suck--nothing you do will make them fun. Luckily, they're short and you'll be done with them in no time!

On 7/7/2016 at 8:15 PM, grandmaglitter1221 said:

From One Grandma to Another......

The only one I have been able to tolerate is Premier Protein, all flavors except the strawberry. I usually put the chocolate one in my morning decafe. They have 30gms of protein and Slimfast has just come out with a new one that has 20gms of protein and the Salted Carmel is to die for. I had a really hard time with the "powders" so even though I'm 15 months out from having the sleeve I still rely on pre made protein shakes. Sometimes I even freeze them and eat them that way. Best of luck to you. You can do this........

Be Well

Joyce (Grandma Glitter) that's my clown name fyi   

Thanks for your input.  I have seen Pure Protein at Walmart and Costco. I'll have to  try it.

Keep up the good work! !

Grandma

7 hours ago, jbeezy25 said:

Congrats!

Thanks for your  input. Have you tried Pure Protein?  They make 2 kinds with different amounts of protein.  The smaller one is sold at Walmart and the larger ones you can get at Trader Joes.

Keep working hard!! Great job!

Another vote for the Premier RTD shakes from Costco.  I like the chocolate.  

Syntrax is good too, I like Mint Cookie.  Bariatric Fusion's cappucino is good made with decaf into an iced coffee drink with almond milk.  I also drank some of their fruity ones when I just couldn't stomach the "shake" type ones anymore for a while post-op.  

Get samples from nashua nutirtion.  Tastes may change day to day, especially post-op.  It's a good way to get some variety and try stuff before committing to a big jug of something.

You've also chosen a great bariatric program at Celebration ;)

1 hour ago, BeachGirl said:

Syntrax is good too, I like Mint Cookie.  Bariatric Fusion's cappucino is good made with decaf into an iced coffee drink with almond milk.  I also drank some of their fruity ones when I just couldn't stomach the "shake" type ones anymore for a while post-op.  

Get samples from nashua nutirtion.  Tastes may change day to day, especially post-op.  It's a good way to get some variety and try stuff before committing to a big jug of something.

Hi Beach Girl

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm surely going to try them.

BTW...how do you know about the Celebration program?

That's where I had my surgery done.

Not entirely sure if Muscle Milk is allowed but their Double Chocolate and Dark Chocolate is VERY good. I only know this because my husband (unlike me) is very fit and athletic and he works out and drinks protein shakes 7 days a week. I used the Muscle Milk Dark Chocolate protein shake as a meal replacement for a few weeks when I "was" going strong with a diet. It's full of carbs and protein. And doesn't upset the stomach. You could mix with either water or milk. I used fat free milk. It's a much more watery texture than whole or 2% but gives it a little more of the consistency I like over pure water. But again, I have no idea what your other medical conditions are, that being said, since you ARE PreOp for now, it couldn't hurt to try. I vow it to taste quite great.  (please do not mistake me for suggesting regular Muscle Milk Chocolate, it's nowhere near as good!!) 

On 7/11/2016 at 10:51 AM, BeachGirl said:

HI BEACHGIRL....

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT DR. KIM? CELEBRATION HOSPITAL? I AM GETTING CLOSER. I GOT ALL MY CLEARANCES BUT THERE HAS BEEN A BIG DELAY IN GETTING MY CPAP. IT IS FINALLY COMING TOMORROW! GUESS I AM ABOUT 4 WEEKS OUT. CAN'T WAIT!