Lewiswife

Fast food...

11 posts in this topic

I am having a real hard time with the fact I'm in the all liquid phase of my post op gastric bypass...yet here I sit with my husband and his dad in a fast food place..while they eat this gross smelling food....did any of you have trouble with your family saying stuff...like.  you wanted this surgery...deal with it....I mean am I overreacting. ..I feel like they have no regard  for my feelings at all....they were all happy I was having it because of all the health issues. I need some support....

My husband travels and hates to eat out.  Early out I took my daughter out to a Mexican restaurant.  I had refried beans.

even this far out if I pass a fast food place the smell of grease turns my stomach.  I don't do good with anything fried, it makes me sick.  I guess if you must go with them take something you can have; Greek yogurt or sf pudding. Even now, if I treat one of my kids and don't see anything I'll eat on the menu I just have a glass of water...

Lewiswife likes this

There are inconsiderate people everywhere, often in one's own family. I'm happy that isn't true for me.

Lewiswife likes this

Maybe it's best to just stay out of fast food places for now, at least whenever possible.  You can't control their behavior but you can choose not to subject yourself to it.  It will get easier to eat out once you're all healed and can eat more variety.  Lots of decent choices out there, just not as much in the early days.  Good luck!

tmcgee and bellamoma like this

I also went to a work lunch at a Mexican restaurant and had to drink water during the liquid phase. Later, I also ate refried beans out during the soft phase. 

They aren't wrong, you do have to deal with it. The key is to be proud of yourself for making and keeping your commitment to being healthy and following your program guidelines to get the most out of your decision. This is for your healing and you are rocking it!

LeeC and bellamoma like this

I treat myself to a coffee when my family want McDonald's, coffee fills me up! I would probably stay away for now and let your husband know that he would be more of a support if he remains positive with encouragement rather than throwing it in your face! Perhaps remind him of he has a heart attach from his poor eating habits you would be there to support him and you would not respond with well you ate yourself into this situation deal with it! Perhaps he too needs a reality check!

Ok Tough love here. Sometimes support is about just being real.  

Bottom line is this is about you and the choices you will have to make every single day.  You can't depend on everyone else to do xyz because you had surgery.  Early out it is toughe but it's temporary and still doable.  Further out you still have to make good choices but it may be even harder then because you can eat off plan and may actually be hungry.  For most people eating out is part of life and you'll have to deal with it.  Fact is just because you don't eat it doesn't mean others can't. 

Edited by Raeme

2 hours ago, Raeme said:

You can't depend on everyone else to do xyz because you had surgery.  

[...]

For most people eating out is part of life and you'll have to deal with it.  Fact is just because you don't eat it doesn't mean others can't. 

In general, I agree. The world around you won't stop eating junk food / won't stop drinking / won't stop smoking and I would never expect people stop doing that around me (except smoking in closed rooms because passive smoking is damaging my health as well).

However, this is about her husband. My husband wouldn't ever dare throwing words like these into my face. He even asked me if it's ok to eat his "normal food" around me as long as I was in the liquid phase. How's that for support?

Lewiswife likes this

On July 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM, msmarymac said:

Maybe it's best to just stay out of fast food places for now, at least whenever possible.  You can't control their behavior but you can choose not to subject yourself to it.  It will get easier to eat out once you're all healed and can eat more variety.  Lots of decent choices out there, just not as much in the early days.  Good luck!

I do go to McD's, but the only thing I buy there is black coffee. :)

msmarymac likes this

6 hours ago, summerset said:

In general, I agree. The world around you won't stop eating junk food / won't stop drinking / won't stop smoking and I would never expect people stop doing that around me (except smoking in closed rooms because passive smoking is damaging my health as well).

However, this is about her husband. My husband wouldn't ever dare throwing words like these into my face. He even asked me if it's ok to eat his "normal food" around me as long as I was in the liquid phase. How's that for support?

Sure it's about her hubby but maybe he was providing a little tough love.  I maintain that support comes in all forms.   

Maybe it was tough love, maybe not. Even if it was, there are certain ways of providing "tough love" that would be just a no-go for me (or my husband). Of course, when it comes to online boards we never know for sure in which way exactly things happened. And of course I'm biased (as everyone is to a certain way). I'm not very responsive to this so called "tough love". Neither is my husband. So we don't use it in our marriage. That's doesn't mean we speak the truth though.

"You wanted that surgery and now deal with the consequences?" I'd tell my husband a thing or two (or more).

Regarding other people not being supportive, e. g. co-workers? Well, I'm not expecting their support, let alone demanding it. However, my memory is good and I'd be happy to let people swallow their own "tough love" medicine when time comes and I can tell you something from experience: they don't like that at all. (I'm talking about support in general here, not about surgery, weight or food.)  ;)