Madison2015

One Procedure at a Time?

Have found a plastic surgeon I would like to perform a few procedures.  The procedures are a breast reduction/lift, tummy tuck (lots of loose skin) and a possible thigh lift at a later time.

i am 57 and in good health.  I spoke with my main Doctor about having the surgeries and he believes I should have them done individually (I was thinking of having the breast reduction and tummy tuck done at the same time, a five hour procedure).  My doctor said even if I was younger, he would advise having the procedures done individually because he doesn't think it's good to be under anesthesia that long.  

Was curious if there is anyone else out there around my age who has had a few procedures done and if they combined them or did them individually?  The plastic surgeon thought it was fine to have two combined.  Thoughts?

23 hours ago, Madison2015 said:

Have found a plastic surgeon I would like to perform a few procedures.  The procedures are a breast reduction/lift, tummy tuck (lots of loose skin) and a possible thigh lift at a later time.

i am 57 and in good health.  I spoke with my main Doctor about having the surgeries and he believes I should have them done individually (I was thinking of having the breast reduction and tummy tuck done at the same time, a five hour procedure).  My doctor said even if I was younger, he would advise having the procedures done individually because he doesn't think it's good to be under anesthesia that long.  

Was curious if there is anyone else out there around my age who has had a few procedures done and if they combined them or did them individually?  The plastic surgeon thought it was fine to have two combined.  Thoughts?

I had my TT and breast lift with augmentation done at the same time. I was 44 at the time so a little younger than you. I think my surgery took 5 - 6 hours. I didn't talk to my PCP or my WLS surgeon about my plastics - I just went for it. Unless there is a medical reason specific to you that your main Dr. knows about and your PS doesn't, I would go with the recommendation of the dr. who is performing your surgery. 

This might be a good question to post to the dr. who runs this website.

I had an extended TT and breast aug together and then 4 months later, arms, hips, sides and thighs done together. The first was about 5-6hrs and 2nd about 8

I haven't reached goal yet. But the plastic surgeon is an acquaintance of mine and I asked his opinion. I'm 55. He is against multiple procedures at the same time. He told me it was best for me to have the tt as a stand alone procedure. I'll need an arms and breast lift as well. We'll talk about face and neck if or when I reach goal.

Samma and stephtay were both younger.

Madison did you have the surgery done? I'd love to know what you finally decided. I wish you all the best.

On June 23, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Madison2015 said:

I just had a panniculectomy and abdominoplasty/TT, surgery took about 4 hours. Recovery has been difficult and there's no way in hell I'd do two at once but everyone is different and responds to surgery differently so perhaps others can handle it better. My breasts could use a lift and certainly my inner thighs need skin removed (weight loss before surgery indicated this!!!) but none of that will be covered by insurance so Idk if I will ever pursue it.

Did you end up doing it??! Parts of my panniculectomy incision are going to not even be visible! Some parts will scar but there are large portions that are just.....smooth, nothing there. Wondering what my upper abdomen incision will come out to.  

Hello Everyone:

please forgive me for not responding earlier, it's been really busy and I have not been online.  I want to thank everyone who responded to this post with their thoughts and thank you to those who shared what procedures they had done.

This past Friday, 16 September, I had surgery in Marina Del Rey, California.  It was a five hour surgery, breast reduction/lift, extended tummy tuck and lipo in the waist (and I think also in the breast area).  

The breast reduction I have been wanting since I was 18!  The extended tummy tuck I wanted because after losing 90 pounds skin was hanging there and I was scared to have it removed but wanted it gone.  

After surgery I decided, since I'm single, to save up and pay to stay at Serentity Aftercare in Santa Monica for two nights.  It was the best experience ever.  First two nights the pain was bad, I took my pain pills but it did not seem to help much.  My doctor prescribed two or three injections of Demerol and it was the only thing that helped.  I could not get out of bed by myself, I needed help walking, etc.

I passed out three times the first morning there.  It's still had for me to get in enough water because after a full sips I still feel full and the water will come back up if I continue to drink.  Thus, I was very dehydrated and my blood pressure dropped.  I'm needle phobic so I refused an IV (not smart).  I was given the choice to drink a crazy amount of water in two hours or mandatory IV.  I got the wage down and my blood pressure went up to normal and the fainting stopped.  Won't make this mistake again if I ever have surgery.

Sunday I went back home to my three-story townhouse.  A friend met me there that first night.  Do not make the silly mistake I made and not have someone there the first five days!  I didn't accept any help from family or friends, not smart.  After my friend left I could not move for awhile.  I rented a recliner and thank gosh for that.  You push a button and it either reclines and slowly punches you up out of th chair.  It took me an hour to get out of that chair because of the pain.  

Had a nursing service come in the first four days to change bandages (not needed if I would have had my sister with me).  I bruise easily and my bruising looked also black.  Incisions hurt.  Four days after surgery I went off my pain medicine.  Do I still hurt?  Yes, but it isn't that bad.  I can't walk straight and take baby steps.  My lower back is beyond hurting.  I went to Costco to buy more protein drinks.  

Today is day 7 and I saw my surgeon and they removed my stitches around my belly button (the rest are absorbable stitches).  My skin reacted to the tape they use to put bandages on so I am no longer wearing bandages.  I have a compression garment on my stomach and now they having me wearing two compression bras.  Lots of pressure.

Before surgery I was wore a size 34 H bra and had some excess skin to the side of my breasts.  They took me down to a size C cup (amazing) and were able to remove the excess skin.  I am very, very swollen.  My stomach is so tight it hurts.  My doctor performs newer techniques so I had the stainless tummy tuck and there were no drains for my breasts.  I will see him next week, he told me he took a picture of the stomach skin he removed and I want to see it.

i might have the excess skin removed later from my thighs, they said about 40 % of my thighs are excess skin with some fat on them.  Right now I still have a road to recovery ahead of me with these two procedures.  I'm not sure what the final outcome will look like but it has to be better than what it was before.

I am so sorry if this was too long and kind of boring to read.  Thought if anyone was curious about the procedures it would give them an idea of what they are like, well, what my experience was like.  

Hope you are all doing well.