ValerieKGorman

Working on my head

3 posts in this topic

So I've been learning a lot from all of you about dealing with head hunger & emotional eating, both of which I do.  So I want to work on my head while I wait for a date for surgery.  I grabbed a book at Goodwill that I read 10+ years ago, and loved, and successfully lost a lot of weight after applying the principles (but then stopped applying the principles once I hit goal weight and gained it all back...ugh!).  This book (don't laugh!!) is Dr Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution.  I am working through the book again and what I love love love about it is it deals so much with the psychology of weight gain, loss, and maintenance.  He has 7 keys and I'm once again working through the first key.  So much fabulous insight! (how did I forget all this stuff I learned and applied??)  It has homework assignments in each chapter that are so good.  I just love this book and it's good to be reading it again!  I wanted to recommend it to anybody who is wanting to work on their "head".  I don't know how useful it is to those post-op but thought I'd throw it out there.  Soooo good!!

Edited by ValerieKGorman

Dr. Phil can be a bit crass and confrontational, but he makes good points about owning your behaviors and the outcomes they lead to. I'm not familiar with that particular publication, but I could see where you could find value in his perspectives.

No laughter here, I think it does a pretty good job with the head hunger piece.  The nutrition is not aimed at post-WLS but that's really not what most of us struggle with the most, it's our loud food demon telling us to EAT.  It was so amazing in the honeymoon period to have the voice silenced; sadly for me the honeymoon's over.  I think I'll take another look at this book, I have it somewhere.  Thanks for the reminder!

ValerieKGorman likes this