Noelle7

Outpatient Surgery?

I am having getting my sleeve done through True Results Houston, in their Surgical Center.  I was wondering if anybody else got their sleeve done on an outpatient basis, and went home the same day?

Things have changed Noelle.

I had abdominal surgery about 18 months ago (my RNY was over 8 years ago) and I was discharged the same day.  It was for the removal of one hernia mesh and the repair of another hernia with mesh. That was the 4th abdominal surgery since (and including) my RNY and in honesty, I think my recovery was easier coming home the same day.

They will not release you unless they're confident that you're doing well and your pain is under control.

10 hours ago, cinwa said:

Things have changed Noelle.

I had abdominal surgery about 18 months ago (my RNY was over 8 years ago) and I was discharged the same day.  It was for the removal of one hernia mesh and the repair of another hernia with mesh. That was the 4th abdominal surgery since (and including) my RNY and in honesty, I think my recovery was easier coming home the same day.

They will not release you unless they're confident that you're doing well and your pain is under control.

Thank you so much for your response.  I feel more at peace.

More and more patients are being released to go home after surgeries of all kinds rather than keeping them in the hospital. The main reason for this is to prevent infections, because after all, hospitals are full of sick people. So any time a patient is capable of being released, they are.

T

My VSG wasn't exactly outpatient, but I was there less than 24 hours....surgery at 2pm, discharged at 9am.  walked a mile to Walmart to pick up decaf tea bags, lounged by the pool and rented a movie in the hotel room.  I went to Mexico for my surgery and specifically chose a surgical center rather than a hospital for the exact reason ShrinkMe mentioned.  I didn't want to be around a bunch of sick people.  And the facility I chose was an International Center of Excellence so I figured In Couldnt do much better than that.

And as for outpatient, I had my gallbladder removed at 9am and the first thing I remember the nurse saying as I was regaining consciousness in recovery was "should I call your friend to come get you?".  They had me out of there by noon.  But my body must like surgery because I went home and cleaned my house and did office work for 3 hours before making myself finally sit down on the couch.  Went to grandmas for thanksgiving dinner the next day.

Edited by ThinCVT

8 hours ago, ShrinkMe said:

More and more patients are being released to go home after surgeries of all kinds rather than keeping them in the hospital. The main reason for this is to prevent infections, because after all, hospitals are full of sick people. So any time a patient is capable of being released, they are.

T

After my hernia surgery in the morning, 20 years ago, they dosed me up with pain meds at 4PM and asked me if I wanted to go home at 5. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. By the time I got home, I could barely move, needed help to even sit up in bed and go to pee 5 feet away from the bed. I spent 5 days on a chemical vacation after that. It took a month to begin feeling normal, and six months before the pain went away completely.

After RNY, there was no frikken way I was leaving the hospital until I was ready, which was after 2 nights in, and that was the hospital choice, not mine, but fine by me, I wasn't needing the "push for drugs button" anymore. As to sick people in the hospital, of course there are, only there were none on the floor I was on, it was WLS and knee or other orthopedic replacements only.

12 hours ago, tmcgee said:

After my hernia surgery in the morning, 20 years ago, they dosed me up with pain meds at 4PM and asked me if I wanted to go home at 5. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. By the time I got home, I could barely move, needed help to even sit up in bed and go to pee 5 feet away from the bed. I spent 5 days on a chemical vacation after that. It took a month to begin feeling normal, and six months before the pain went away completely.

After RNY, there was no frikken way I was leaving the hospital until I was ready, which was after 2 nights in, and that was the hospital choice, not mine, but fine by me, I wasn't needing the "push for drugs button" anymore. As to sick people in the hospital, of course there are, only there were none on the floor I was on, it was WLS and knee or other orthopedic replacements only.

I'm not saying it's right. I personally think after major surgery, especially when you have your innards rearranged, you should be under observation. But the trend these days is to get you out of the hospital as quickly as possible. I was supposed to be released the day of my surgery but ended up spending one night because of severe vertigo. 

I had VSG surgery on a Wednesday at 10AM and went home Thursday at 2:30PM.

My surgery began on Friday at 2:30 pm, and we left the hospital on Saturday at 10:00 am. We were required to shower and eat a little yogurt before being discharged, as a test. Also we had to have been drinking fluids well enough during the night.

2 hours ago, Carina said:

My surgery began on Friday at 2:30 pm, and we left the hospital on Saturday at 10:00 am. We were required to shower and eat a little yogurt before being discharged, as a test. Also we had to have been drinking fluids well enough during the night.

Gosh that's a short stay. I've been told I'll be in hospital for at least 5 days and will have to endure a barium swallow before being discharged. Mine is revisional surgery though with a much higher risk of leaks.

@Aussie H I forgot to mention the leak test. They did that in the operating room! Woke up with dye on my face.