Murk

Travel required for work

6 posts in this topic

My VSG is scheduled for 7/11/16 and one of the things that concerns me is that I am required to do 20% travel for my job.

I requested 4 weeks off after my surgery, to cover me in case I would be required to travel before I'm quite used to my sleeve.

My question is: For those of you who travel for your job, how do you handle dining with customers, eating out, getting in your protein and water?

I'm afraid that I will eat so little that it will put me on the spot. I thought about saying I eat light on the road due to stomach issues - any other ideas?

Nobody gives a second thought to someone making healthy food choices. A great go to is grilled chicken with a steamed vegetable (hamburger patty if chicken doesn't sit well). Once you're cleared for raw veggies, a salad with a lean meat and dressing on the side doesn't draw any attention. I like salsa as a dressing substitute. Eating your protein first means that people see you eat the most substantive portion of your meal (very normal behavior).

I recently had a business lunch where I picked the venue. I chose a breakfast place and ordered eggbeaters with spinach scrambled in. When the server offered side dishes, I said the entrée would be plenty. It's funny how many people enjoy breakfast for lunch. My choice went over well.

P.S. I chose water with the mention that I'd already had enough coffee. I took a few tiny sips along the way (like less than a tablespoon throughout the meal).

Edited by WendyH
Res Ipsa, Murk and tmcgee like this

I have had many work lunches since my sleeve. We get a lot of deli sandwiches so I would just eat the meat and cheese. Or even the broth off soup during the liquid phase.  Or I would just take the chicken and leave the alfredo (when served separately ).

I tend to eat slowly but clear my place quickly when I'm done. No one says much and I have not told anyone at work I had WLS. They know I had abdominal surgery in February but that's it.

Hopefully, your hotel rooms have a mini fridge! 

Murk likes this

I travel a lot for work. The people I work with know about my surgery, and. Always let me choose the restaurant. 95% of the time I order fish.

if I'm with others who don't know, I still order fish. It's that simple. No one pays attention to how much or how little you eat. 

tmcgee, Res Ipsa and Murk like this

3 hours ago, WendyH said:

Nobody gives a second thought to someone making healthy food choices. A great go to is grilled chicken with a steamed vegetable (hamburger patty if chicken doesn't sit well). Once you're cleared for raw veggies, a salad with a lean meat and dressing on the side doesn't draw any attention. I like salsa as a dressing substitute. Eating your protein first means that people see you eat the most substantive portion of your meal (very normal behavior).

I recently had a business lunch where I picked the venue. I chose a breakfast place and ordered eggbeaters with spinach scrambled in. When the server offered side dishes, I said the entrée would be plenty. It's funny how many people enjoy breakfast for lunch. My choice went over well.

P.S. I chose water with the mention that I'd already had enough coffee. I took a few tiny sips along the way (like less than a tablespoon throughout the meal).

I'm lucky if I can eat a bowl of soup. If I'm eating out, that's my first choice. It's a blessing because I no longer eat too much, and a curse, because I struggle to get enough nutrition in. Bottom line is that I accept it even if it is a struggle.

Murk likes this

In today's world, so many people are on a diet for health or medical reasons, that no one will really notice if you eat very little food.  Also it is totally acceptable now for some one to order one or two appetizers as a meal, and thus avoid the big plates of food that are most main courses. If people ask (and they almost always will not) just tell them that you are trying to eat a more healthy diet. 

tmcgee and Murk like this