doll777

Navel or no navel

12 posts in this topic

So I had the consult with plastics and the surgeon told me to take out my navel and do not worry about how I will look without a belly button because the risk is way higher to keep it. My boyfriend and family heard this and are pressuring me to just get rid of my belly button but to me I think it will look and feel strange to not have one. Can I get some opinions on this from people who have done the surgery? Is the risk that high and did it feel strange to you? 

Thanks

19 hours ago, doll777 said:

So I had the consult with plastics and the surgeon told me to take out my navel and do not worry about how I will look without a belly button because the risk is way higher to keep it. My boyfriend and family heard this and are pressuring me to just get rid of my belly button but to me I think it will look and feel strange to not have one. Can I get some opinions on this from people who have done the surgery? Is the risk that high and did it feel strange to you? 

Thanks

Are the risks higher for you in particular? Or you mean in general? I have never heard this before.

I had a TT and they gave me a new belly button. I haven't had any issues with it. 

doll777 likes this

He just said the risk was high in general. I asked him about creating a new belly button and he said it was either keep the one I had or nothing at all. No in between 

Have you considered a second consult? I'd want to hear the thoughts of another surgeon. My ex-husband has no belly button, and he was quite annoyed about it. I wouldn't want to be without one. 

Stephtay and doll777 like this

16 hours ago, doll777 said:

He just said the risk was high in general. I asked him about creating a new belly button and he said it was either keep the one I had or nothing at all. No in between 

I would get a second opinion. I started at 310 and had my plastics at 160 and I had more than enough skin to pull around to create a new belly button. Based on your stats, I would guess you do too?

doll777 likes this

I would also suggest a second opinion.  I hadn't heard of "risks" with a reconstructed navel before. if this happens to be legit and you really shouldn't have a navel for some reason? You can have one tattooed in to create the appearance of a navel.  I am actually training to do this, along with lots of other paramedical tattooing that helps folks feel whole after surgery.  It is definitely available.  Just so you know.  But, again, I've never heard of risks of navel/no navel, so encourage a second opinion as well.  Good luck!

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

I have my belly button...my surgeon cut around it, created a new hole in the tightened skin, reattached the belly button to the new skin..it's not round any longer and I've had no problems with it. I pierced it too. 

belt front (2).JPG

My new belly button is super cute! Get a 2nd opinion 

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

I loved my new little belly button. I have also never heard not hsve one at all.... seems fishy to me. I don't even see the risk involved. They cut pull down make a small hole right where your original button was, cut around and stitch? Am I wrong steph? 

Seems like it depends on the surgeon -  lady in my support group got a tummy tuck done after her weightloss and he did not giver her a bellybutton.  She knew going in he wouldn't and it sounded like having one wasn't even an option - he just plain wasn't putting one back.

Mine never even asked me, nor did I think about asking if it were an option.  I knew he was going to move it/put it back going in.   In hindsite I would rather not have one;  aside from the drains it is really the only spot that gave me discomfort.  (notice I said discomfort not pain, it wasn't THAT bad but far more noticeable than the entire hip to hip incision).  Also mine is not very centered - which he also warned may happen.  Not like I look at myself often nor will I ever have a bikini bod anyway even after this;  but still slightly annoyed by that...but again, just slightly.

Sounds like I don't have the option with my surgeon, either. She said "this is what I'm going to do", and it included relocation of the belly button. It never even occurred to me until reading this thread that some surgeons make that optional. Personally, I think I'd feel weird without one. My pre-op appointment is coming up in two weeks and maybe I'll ask just for the hell of it.

I have two friends who lost their belly buttons with umbilical hernia repair. Neither miss it but they're both men.  I'd want what would give me the best chance of a great recovery but then long ago I decided if I had to lose one breast to cancer both were gonna go (cause then I could go shirtless in the summer).