mmb5370

Need new Dr

My Dr dropped me from his practice because I was under a lot of stress and started smoking again.  Not even half a pack a day.  I was and still am trying to quit with Nicorette.  Now I have no surgeon to follow up with.  The worst part is I called for help and the said they sent me a letter months ago, but I never received it so I had no idea.  You would think the Dr would support me quitting.  I live in Northern NJ.  Any suggestions for a new surgeon?  Thanks.

They dropped you AFTER you've already had surgery with them? That's pretty cold on their part! From what I've heard, most surgeons won't take over if another surgeons operated on you, but you never know :)

My surgeon is out of state, so from the beginning I knew my PCP was going to be my go to follow up person. I'm sure there's nothing your PCP or nutritionist can't answer for you though.

mmb5370,  

After the first year, our bariatric programme passes care over to our PCP's.  All you basically need after that is semi-annual/annual bloodwork.

I agree with Cinwa that you really do not need a bariatric surgeon once your surgery is over a year old. 

Obviously you need to stop smoking right now and not start it again. Smoking is very bad after a gastric bypass as the smoke gets into your intestines. This can cause major digestive problems, nutrition absorption problems, and even cancer. 

Thank you everyone.  I am trying to quit.  I bought those Nicorette lozenges and I'm trying those. Along with the help of my primary care doctor.  

Have you tried vaping? It's what helped me quit before my surgery and I haven't gone back. I've been smoke free for a year and a half and vape free for about 4 months now. If you get a real vape system and the right level of nicotine, then work your way down every few months, it helps. Plus it's still better in the long run because your not ingesting all the smoke or other chemicals that are in the cigarettes. 

As for your doctors office kicking you out...it sucks, but I have to agree with everyone else, my surgeon won't be my go to person after my one year surgiversary, it will be my PCP, unless there is an emergency specifically for the RNY. 

Good luck!

I don't know really how to respond.... My mother died emphysema & alcoholism. I've never smoked but I know with my mother's last breath she smoked a cigarette & had a 32 oz glass of straight vodka... She was a tiny woman. Maybe 5 feet tall. I'm really sorry you're having so much trouble & I'm trying to be sympathetic but because of my past I just can't understand & I watched it! Good luck! <3

I quit. Let me ask you something: are you addicted to the nicotine or addicted to it as something to relive stress? If you were smoking say five cigarettes per day, you could probably quit without Nicorette. 

Have you thought of trying to replace smoking with something else to relieve stress? Again, I'm thinking it's not the nicotine but more of a psychological addiction to the sensation and to stress relief. At least it was for me.