Cindypraying

Quitting smoking

32 posts in this topic

Anyone?

Readytotransform likes this

I quit cold turkey 3 months before my VSG surgery.  Haven't touched a cigarette since September 25, 2013.  For me, having WLS and getting healthy was a package deal and quitting smoking was just a necessary part.

Cindypraying likes this

I quit before surgery and I have started again but quit when I found out I was pregnant. and then started again. this will be my 4th time quitting cold turkey again. it's hard but can be done. I feel for you if you are trying to quit. mine was sort of picked up during a stressful time aftER I had my sleeve and no comfort from food. I see a therapist that helps but I'm again getting to a place where I think I can beat this addiction I've had since I was a kid. I'm learning coping skills to help so I don't need the cigarettes or the food 

Teeny :) and Cindypraying like this

Today is day 2 I WILL BEAT THIS

55 minutes ago, Cindypraying said:

Today is day 2 I WILL BEAT THIS

Congratulations Cindy - you are doing great.

Cindypraying likes this

Cindy - a thought!

What about setting aside however much you spent a day on cigarettes in a jar (or whatever) and saving that to buy some new clothes for the slimmer you? 

Readytotransform and bellamoma like this

7 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Cindy - a thought!

What about setting aside however much you spent a day on cigarettes in a jar (or whatever) and saving that to buy some new clothes for the slimmer you? 

Great idea

Readytotransform likes this

A couple I work with saved their weekly cigarette money when they quit and bought a used convertible miatta after a year! Have fun with that money and your healthier self!

That's awesome

16 hours ago, ThinCVT said:

I quit cold turkey 3 months before my VSG surgery.  Haven't touched a cigarette since September 25, 2013.  For me, having WLS and getting healthy was a package deal and quitting smoking was just a necessary part.

How much have you lost

1 hour ago, Cindypraying said:

How much have you lost

100 pounds.  Been maintaining within a couple pounds of lowest weight for 1 1/2 years.

Cindypraying likes this

2 hours ago, KMFL28 said:

A couple I work with saved their weekly cigarette money when they quit and bought a used convertible miatta after a year! Have fun with that money and your healthier self!

I knew a couple who quit and put their cigarette money in a jar. They took their dream vacation to Hawaii with the proceeds.

i quit 9 years ago when i found out i was pregnant.  It is possible, you can do it.  i did think about it after surgery when i was feeling stressed or anxious but i am in therapy and learning how to deal with these emotions without self destructive behaviors.   It is hard, I still think about it, sometimes when someone lights up i take a whiff just to reminisce, but i have no plans on going back to smoking.  i don't want to go through quitting again, so i won't re-start!  you'll see a major difference in how you feel, too.  keep up the good work!!!

Thank u all

bellamoma likes this

I quit cold turkey about a dozen times.  The last time was about 12 years ago.  Sometimes, I walk past someone outside smoking, and think I'd like to light up, but that passes.

Cindypraying likes this

3 hours ago, HappyBigFatGrayCat said:

I quit cold turkey about a dozen times.  The last time was about 12 years ago.  Sometimes, I walk past someone outside smoking, and think I'd like to light up, but that passes.

I pray I can do this forever

2 hours ago, Cindypraying said:

I pray I can do this forever

You can. I quit cold turkey probably close to 15 years ago. For the last several years, cigarette smoke makes me feel ill. Even the slightest whiff makes me gag. And, for many years I thought I could not live without smoking. 

Cindypraying likes this

On 5/13/2016 at 1:42 PM, HappyBigFatGrayCat said:

Day 6

Day 10 :D

WendyH and Zen_Steph like this

Good job Cindy!  How are you feeling?

Congratulations Cindy!  10 days ciggie free is outstanding.  

Have you noticed that you have a better sense of smell?  A GF of mine said that she never noticed just how much her clothes smelled of cigarette smoke until she quit.  But none of us are buying into that because she was constantly squirting herself with perfume which to me, was equally offensive.  LOL!

We met for coffee earlier this week and she shoved an elbow under my nose and asked me to smell her sweater - she's now in love with the smell of Gain!  :lol:

Stephtay, Cindypraying and ThinCVT like this

6 hours ago, ThinCVT said:

Day 10 doing this

On 5/20/2016 at 8:00 AM, ThinCVT said:

I'm doing very well thank you 22 days now getting easier

ThinCVT, Zen_Steph and bellamoma like this

Great job!  You can do it!

Well done, Cindy!!!!!!!!! I know it's not easy peasy but you're doing it.  Keep up the excellent work!

Cindypraying likes this