mburnsb1

Any runners out here???

I can't believe I can say that I am a runner...an athlete!   Anyone else feeling this way now?   Truly in shock that I am running 5K, 10K and have signed up for a half in January!!!!   

I run some--but I wouldn't call myself a runner. Unfortunately, I don't find running to be a pleasant experience. I keep trying though--I'd love to do a marathon someday! Not sure I enjoy it enough to work through the difficulty I have running more than a mile or so though.

It's awesome that you've made that kind of progress!

Running is my sport, but after trying to push up my distance last time I was thin and having my knees bark at me too much, I am content with going no further than 3.5 miles (4.0 tops) in a single run. All I really need is to get my heart rate up for a little while.

Not sure that I call myself a "runner" yet ---- but those that I classify as being such say that I am one....

Kudos for running - for those that go down this path, it can be an incredible workout and really help with the changes in your life. Since my surgery, I've done 30+ 5Ks, 4 10Ks, 2 10milers, and 3 half marathons. In the next year, I've got a half-iron duathlon (1.2 mile run / 56 mile bicycle / 13.1 mile run), the Miami Marathon, and then a traditional half ironman (the 1.2 miles at the front is a swim). Along the way, I've found a few things to be helpful in transitioning from the 5/10K platform to longer distances. Here's a few things to be be mindful of:

• Listen to your body. I did a lot of damage to my knees and back when I was so large. If you ache excessively, it's okay to skip running for a few days.
  • Monitor your blood sugars. I struggle with this and am trying to find the right balance still. Have had some incredibly low readings late in the day (I run in the morning).
  • Cross train as your able (cycling and swimming are very helpful)
  • Do some resistance training. I am now doing CrossFit to avoid some injuries and strengthen neglected parts of my body...but simple body weight exercises or a resistance tube are incredibly effective.

But most of all ----- BE PROUD of WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

27 minutes ago, LakotaRobb said:

Not sure that I call myself a "runner" yet ---- but those that I classify as being such say that I am one....

Kudos for running - for those that go down this path, it can be an incredible workout and really help with the changes in your life. Since my surgery, I've done 30+ 5Ks, 4 10Ks, 2 10milers, and 3 half marathons. In the next year, I've got a half-iron duathlon (1.2 mile run / 56 mile bicycle / 13.1 mile run), the Miami Marathon, and then a traditional half ironman (the 1.2 miles at the front is a swim). Along the way, I've found a few things to be helpful in transitioning from the 5/10K platform to longer distances. Here's a few things to be be mindful of:

• Listen to your body. I did a lot of damage to my knees and back when I was so large. If you ache excessively, it's okay to skip running for a few days.
  • Monitor your blood sugars. I struggle with this and am trying to find the right balance still. Have had some incredibly low readings late in the day (I run in the morning).
  • Cross train as your able (cycling and swimming are very helpful)
  • Do some resistance training. I am now doing CrossFit to avoid some injuries and strengthen neglected parts of my body...but simple body weight exercises or a resistance tube are incredibly effective.

But most of all ----- BE PROUD of WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

i am signed up for the Miami half as well!  At this point it will be my first so I know I have plenty of prep and training time!  

Thank you for your info...you are inspiring!

i am very grateful to be running...hiking....walking!!!   I also have started swimming again!  Love it!

I am a runner! I just completed my first marathon. I run an average of over 100 miles a month and I LOVE to run. I ran 10k and half marathons, albeit much slower, at 240 pounds. Over the last three years, I have increased my mileage, decreased my pace. Anything in the two hour or so range doesn't really require fueling along the way, but after that, it is important to find foods that work with your stomach and the way it works now. I can't do energy gels or even bananas like most people. I can't drink gatorade with sugar. I have to make my own adjustments and find what works best for me...which means I have to have protein with my sugars/carbs for my stomach to tolerate. 

I see that you swim too! I love to swim. I have found that after a long run, the best way to recovery is to swim the next day or that afternoon. I have gone an entire year with this plan in place and so far, I have avoided fatigue and injury. I do triathlons too, so my swims and bikes are distance too, but I have found even short swims help my running recovery greatly. 

Good luck in your training and your half!